Preliminary version for firmware 2.0 is now available

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

blunden

Post by blunden »

Vinterstum wrote:
blunden wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:Known issues with the version:

* In portrait mode, the keyboard shows up, but the main screen doesn't.
* Capitalization is always on initially for the keyboard.
* COMI cutscenes will likely be a bit slower than usual, due to some assembly versions of relevant code not being included yet.
* The status bar pops back up when restoring from sleep mode.
I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I was wondering how big of a job it is to port/include the missing COMI-specific (?) code? Well, no matter what great work. :)
The issue is mainly an oddity with the assembler used by the toolkit: The opcodes all need to be lowercase :). I'll look into it soon myself, or ask the maintainers about it, but it hasn't really been top priority so far.
I see. Good thing it wasn't some actual porting that was needed. :)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New version (0.12.0-pre3): Fixed sleep mode (status bar and sound), and added a touchpad mode :).

Hold one finger and drag the other from left to right to toggle it. Play around with it and let me know if you think the sensitivity is ok, please!
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I don't know how helpful this is, but I know that the author of NES.app (an NES emulator for iPhone) also had issues with switching back and forth between landscape and portrait mode in 2.0. Ultimately, he ditched his old landscape code and re-wrote it. I think it has something to do with the open source toolchain we use.

I'm not suggesting the code be rewritten in ScummVM, but the author of NES.app did find a solution. His NES.app code is freely available for checkout from CVS. Perhaps you can find something in there to solve the mysterious bug your port is having.

You can find his home page at http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/nesapp/

At any rate, I use landscape so the missing feature doesn't bother me. Great job on porting it so quickly. I love this app!
PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Vinterstum wrote:New version (0.12.0-pre3): Fixed sleep mode (status bar and sound), and added a touchpad mode :).

Hold one finger and drag the other from left to right to toggle it. Play around with it and let me know if you think the sensitivity is ok, please!
Wow that was fast. And I have to say, with just a couple of minutes testing, it actually works better than before! I'd possibly go so far to say that functionally this could be the best port of scumm since the PC version (or any variation with a mouse).

Good job and thanks for getting it out so fast. I'll give updated impressions when I have played with it some more.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I'm really liking touchpad mode. It's a little hard to get used to, but once you do, it's fantastic. I think what was messing me up the most playing fotaq is that I'd use the touchpad for the game area but for some reason kept insisting on tapping the actions I wanted directly ;-)

It makes me curious what super-high sensitivity might be capable of though. There's a free breakout game in the App Store called Jirbo Break. For the control, there's just a little spot on the bottom edge of the screen where you sit your thumb, and roll it ever so slightly back and forth to control the paddle. You never actually physically need to move your finger.. just the act of tipping it side to side is enough to move the paddle across the entire screen. If ScummVM had something like that, though, it'd have to be made so that tapping a second finger on the screen would be a left click instead of right -- picking up that movement finger to tap again could move the pointer a lightyear away from where you wanted it to be ;-)

Anyway, nice work! I'm really excited for COMI to work so I can try this in click+drag mode :)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Hmm, what's the problem with COMI, though? Only issue in the first version was the cutscene thing, and that's fixed already.

Actually I just noticed COMI works -better- than the other games... portrait mode works with that resolution, oddly enough :).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Actually the touchpad mode and click-and-drag mode conflict a bit in a kinda interesting way.

Once you've clicked a dialog option, the next time one pops up, you have no choice but to select the option that's at the same spot in the list ). (since you can't move the mouse without "clicking").
bloomblaum

Full Throttle

Post by bloomblaum »

I think there's an issue with Full Throttle. It loads (cut scenes etc.) perfectly fine. Right click works fine as well. However, you cannot load the flaming skull menu (to use, talk, kick, etc.) by holding down. Am I doing something wrong or is this just missing from the port?
PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Unfortunately I can't figure this out either. I'd have thought it would be the same issue for COMI though, but since you guys are already discussing COMI without mentioning this issue I'm guessing you know the solution?

I was also sort of doing the same thing with tapping the actions at first but after a minute or so it was like riding a bike. I think the sensitivity is perfect and really the only thing left to do is regarding bringing up the skull/coin action box.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

It sounds like you two just need to enable Click+Drag mode. It's a mode that sends a click as soon as your finger pressed down, and releases whenever you lift your finger. Put one finger on the screen and swipe another finger UP to toggle it.

And apologies, Vinter -- I didn't realize you got COMI working :). That is an interesting side-effect of this, though.. I didn't think of that. I'm not exactly sure how one would work around that problem..
PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

I thought it was possible. I completely forgot about the click and drag up option. Whoops. Thanks for the advice.
blunden

Post by blunden »

Wow! Talk about fast progression. :D
PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

The backspace doesn't work on the keyboard. Not a huge issue but noticeable when typing in wrong save names. AFAIK this will be the only time this issue would come up though.

Like I said, tiny problem but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Regarding the dialogue issue, that's not really a design issue rather than a technical one right? As, design wise, surely if when you release the finger to select the dialogue that should count as a mouse up and allow proper control once more.
Echomote

Post by Echomote »

Vinterstum wrote:New version (0.12.0-pre3): Fixed sleep mode (status bar and sound), and added a touchpad mode :).

Seems fine :) thanks so much. I think I might just play through my whole point and click game collection all over.

and a tip for copying large files to iPhone:
1) download any random app from appstore in itunes
2) open the ipa file with winrar
3) inject the scummvm game into the payload/**.app/ folder
4) sync the application to the iphone

The files will be in /var/mobile/Applications/***/**.app/

Not sure if it works, but it should in theory.
maular

Post by maular »

I get about 800KB/sec using ssh over wireless, so while it did take half an hour or so to copy them all over, it isn't really that bad (only need to do it once).

I find selecting speech options in touchpad mode to be a bit annoying - after choosing one option (then Guybrush has a chat), the cursor often remains in place for the next options. When attempting to move my cursor at this point a click is sent as soon as I start the drag - automatically selecting the speech option under the cursor. Does this mean I've accidentally enabled "click and drag" mode, or is this standard for the touchpad mode too?