Pointer is too low?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cromas

Pointer is too low?

Post by cromas »

I'm not sure if this is an issue with my phone's calibration or something that everyone else is used to -- didn't find anything else in my (brief) serach.

I just installed the latest ScummVM on my 1.1.4 phone. It's very difficult for me to press the buttons in the main menu. The pointer is consistently 5-10 pixels below the location of my tap -- if I want to press a button, I have to tap a few mm above where I normally would.

Is this an issue that has been seen before, or do I just have a funny phone? Is there any possibility of building a "calibration" feature into ScummVM to help compensate for this?
iwaarden

Post by iwaarden »

i have the exact same problem
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I believe it's more about different ways of pushing a finger down :). There'll likely be a few millimeters difference between where you're aiming at, and the spot where the first part of your finger actually touches the screen. The phone registers the last bit, there's no inbuilt compensation.

A calibration feature would be nice, I agree. It won't be the highest priority for me personally though. Maybe someone else wants to give it a shot? :)
giidii

Post by giidii »

As I said in another post, I have the same issues.

Hope to see this thing solved soon. I encourage all developers!!

Cheers
iwaarden

Post by iwaarden »

Vinterstum wrote:I believe it's more about different ways of pushing a finger down :). There'll likely be a few millimeters difference between where you're aiming at, and the spot where the first part of your finger actually touches the screen. The phone registers the last bit, there's no inbuilt compensation.

A calibration feature would be nice, I agree. It won't be the highest priority for me personally though. Maybe someone else wants to give it a shot? :)
in game i have no problem, only in the menu where you slect a game and stuff
blunden

Post by blunden »

I agree. It's really hard pressing conversations lines in Curse of Monkey Island and the alternatives in the menu (to the point that I mistakenly press the wrong lines quite often. :( A calibration feature would be really great since the scummVM port to the ipod touch/iphone is other than that working very well. :)
PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

I'd have to agree. The iPhone port of ScummVM is fantastic, but the lack of calibration/accurate pointing is the one thing thats holding it back from being my ScummVM port of choice.

I'd personally like to see it bumped up that priority list as afaik this has been a request pretty much since the first release.

Great job overall though. Really appreciate it :)
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

As a tip (especially when choosing conversation lines) many games support right-click. So you can slide your finger down through the conversation lines until the one you want is highlighted, then tap a second finger on the screen to right-click that option. It does the exact same thing as left-clicking, but now you get super control over which you click on.

The same thing works with most objects in games like Monkey Island too -- generally, right clicking an object will perform the default action with it, like opening a door for example. So you can slide one finger around until the thing you want is highlighted, and tap another finger to right-click on it and do the default action.

It doesn't cover ALL of the needs for precision-clicking, but it helps!
PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

This is true.

However I do feel proper precision and calibration is better than having to compromise. I'm not a developer but I can't imagine it is that hard to do since the NDS version of ScummVM has it. Even if its just shifting around values (or a touch here to calibrate) would be more ideal would be fine for most people I'm sure.

Just that little extra to take this port from a 90% greatness to 95% (I'm leaving 5% out since I haven't played it enough due to calibration issues).
blunden

Post by blunden »

PlayingKarrde wrote:This is true.

However I do feel proper precision and calibration is better than having to compromise. I'm not a developer but I can't imagine it is that hard to do since the NDS version of ScummVM has it. Even if its just shifting around values (or a touch here to calibrate) would be more ideal would be fine for most people I'm sure.

Just that little extra to take this port from a 90% greatness to 95% (I'm leaving 5% out since I haven't played it enough due to calibration issues).
Agreed.
p-scummvm@technowizardry.

I notice this too

Post by p-scummvm@technowizardry. »

Just installed and I've already noticed this problem.