HIGH RESOLUTION SCUMMVM ICONS - CHECK EM OUT!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Ah, right, we need an icon for Lure of the Temptress too.

Eugene
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I have to point out that these icons are not without legal issues; they use copyrighted in-game graphics and box art, which may infringe on copyright of various companies in various countries.

However, for the freeware games, we can probably negotiate a deal with the game producers to clear those icons.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote: However, for the freeware games, we can probably negotiate a deal with the game producers to clear those icons.
Maybe the icon could count as a modified, extremely minimalistic, version of the game. You're allowed to distribute those, aren't you? :wink:

(Edit: I assumed the icon would be based on in-game images, rather than box artwork. I guess I was wrong.)
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanius

About distribution

Post by thanius »

Yeah, since the icons are based off the art from the games, we probably need to speak with the copyright holders first.
I'd gladly make an icon for Lure as well as Drascula.

@fingolfin: If you speak with the producers, see if you can ask for high resolution images of the gameboxes, with and without text. This way we can make larger and more detailed icons.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

I'm no lawyer, but I believe you can argue fair use for most of them if you ever got pushed into it. Certainly under UK copyright law you'd have a reasonable argument for it.

Technically it would also be a derivative work too, but there are clauses around it being a small size/low resolution and unlikely to negatively impact the game(s) in question. (US law does take a dimmer view on derivative works than UK law does, but still I believe you'd be able to justify it under fair use)

If anything it would almost certainly have a positive impact; it's almost certainly safer to do this than to work on the big poster artworks discussed elsewhere.
thanius

Post by thanius »

How about these?
I messed up when doing the Lure-icon, too much shadow and I kinda forgot to save a copy with layers intact. :/
I'll fix it later, especially if we could talk Revolution into handing over some artwork. :)
thanius

Was bored...

Post by thanius »

...so I did another one. Cheers.

Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Stunning work there :)
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

very impressive. If I had enough space on my desktop I'd love to make use of these

I think they would make nice stickers too :)

Just a quick note about the Kyrandia ones, and this is just a thought, perhaps it would be better to have brandon on the kyrandia 1 icon, I only say because he's the main protaganist and malcolms head kind of makes me think of malcolms revenge

Thanks for your great work though :)
thanius

Post by thanius »

@sanguinehearts: Well, if you use Linux or Mac OSX I believe you can scale the icons as you wish. Perhaps in Windows as well if you use IconPackages or similar.

About using Malcom, I didn't find any other high resolution art for the game (or any art containing Gordon from a usable angle).
thanius

Hey!

Post by thanius »

Kyrandia 3 is up for grabs.

selmi

Post by selmi »

man, these icons look perfect!!! great job and please continue :)
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I know theres no support for this game in ScummVM yet(I hope to change that)

however I couldnt resist knocking up an icon for TeenAgent

The larger version can be found here
http://gracesdisposal.bpweb.net/teenagent/TeenAgent.png

another version is here
however I dont like the TeenAgent logo on this one as it came from the boxart on mobygames.

I would have liked to play around with a few effects and initially used just the mobygames boxart however I preferred the logo used on my shareware floppy boxart. so I combined the two.

Sure they arent much use now but maybe soon... :D

EDIT: Just uploaded a new version with some changes, its on the next page please comment! :)
Last edited by sanguinehearts on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
raina

Post by raina »

Whoa mullet, but nice work. :)

I know it's an issue of the original image you used but would it look terribly bad if you fixed the aspect ratio? The circle surrounding the picture probably needn't be round but the gun barrel seems squashed enough to be nonfunctional.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I made an icon for King's Quest 1 you can use if you like. I'm working on 2, 3, and 4 as well.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.