Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tehmeh

Post by tehmeh »

Good news to hear it's been done, after these 3 or whatever years of waiting. I recommend reading Guards! Guards!, as that's the basis for the game and a great read nonetheless.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Read most of them before upto around... Nightwatch from memory might have been The Last Hero though.

The Discworld cartoon from what little I saw wasn't a bad adaptation overall, though about all I really saw was an episode or two of the Wyrd Sisters.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Awesome fantastic news. I've been waiting to play these games again (particularly DW2) for ages. :: dusts off the old CDs ::

Oh, and Ceri Cat, the last one you read is probably Night Watch, since Last Hero is an older graphic novel, albeit an excellent one. Oh, and anyone interested might try checking out the recent british tv adaptations of Hogfather and Color of Magic+The Light Fantastic. They were surprisingly good.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

fingolfin wrote:The current plan is that it will not be in 0.12. There is not enough time to perform the required testing etc. -- and the branch date for that is July 21th, Tinsel will go public on the same day or one day later. So after next friday, sorry.

Tinsel will be in 0.13, which I hope will be released in the not so distant future -- maybe even before GSoC is over. We'll see.
I noticed in the Wiki that Return to Zork and Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2 are completable in the current SVN version. Will they be in 0.12.0 or are they being pushed to 0.13.0 too?
death78

Post by death78 »

hey guys. im a right noob at this sort of thing. ive just recently downloaded the ScummVm program and i was wondering where on the site i will be able to get the discworld game from when its finished?
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

death78 wrote:hey guys. im a right noob at this sort of thing. ive just recently downloaded the ScummVm program and i was wondering where on the site i will be able to get the discworld game from when its finished?
Well first off, welcome to the ScummVM community. As of now, from what I can tell as a user, it's still a long way to see the actual Discworld game as Freeware actually on the ScummVM project page. You are probably talking about a version of the game that can be downloaded like "Flight of the Amazon Queen", "Beneath a Steel Sky" and "Lure of the Temptress". ScummVM is about interpreting the games and running them, basically a compatibility layer for different OSs. That's why it's called a Virtual Machine. They are not making changes to the game, they write a program that reads the information from the files and displays it to you as if it were the game itself. You might have noticed that there are no games being actually delivered with ScummVM. The only titles on the site are freed of their copyright by the former owner and are now released as Freeware. If Discworld becomes a Freeware title eventually it will probably land on the Downloads page (Link on the main page\Extras, Game Downloads) just like the three other games I mentioned above. You will then simply download the <Name of the Game>.dat file and load it into ScummVM.

But like I said this might still take quite some time. I am not one of the devs but I would think that getting the engine ready is prioritized and getting the actual game out as practically a gift to the community would still take a while. I am so happy that someone at all makes all the effort to preserve these games by making them compatible. And this project is in fact geared toward people that still have the games, creating freeware titles is a fantastic side-effect but not the main goal.

Just be patient and play one of the free games I mentioned above. Copies of most of the ScummVM compatible games aren't even that hard to find on auction sites and such.
death78

Post by death78 »

meist3r wrote:
death78 wrote:hey guys. im a right noob at this sort of thing. ive just recently downloaded the ScummVm program and i was wondering where on the site i will be able to get the discworld game from when its finished?
Well first off, welcome to the ScummVM community. As of now, from what I can tell as a user, it's still a long way to see the actual Discworld game as Freeware actually on the ScummVM project page. You are probably talking about a version of the game that can be downloaded like "Flight of the Amazon Queen", "Beneath a Steel Sky" and "Lure of the Temptress". ScummVM is about interpreting the games and running them, basically a compatibility layer for different OSs. That's why it's called a Virtual Machine. They are not making changes to the game, they write a program that reads the information from the files and displays it to you as if it were the game itself. You might have noticed that there are no games being actually delivered with ScummVM. The only titles on the site are freed of their copyright by the former owner and are now released as Freeware. If Discworld becomes a Freeware title eventually it will probably land on the Downloads page (Link on the main page\Extras, Game Downloads) just like the three other games I mentioned above. You will then simply download the <Name of the Game>.dat file and load it into ScummVM.

But like I said this might still take quite some time. I am not one of the devs but I would think that getting the engine ready is prioritized and getting the actual game out as practically a gift to the community would still take a while. I am so happy that someone at all makes all the effort to preserve these games by making them compatible. And this project is in fact geared toward people that still have the games, creating freeware titles is a fantastic side-effect but not the main goal.

Just be patient and play one of the free games I mentioned above. Copies of most of the ScummVM compatible games aren't even that hard to find on auction sites and such.
Thanks very much for that info. Ill try and digest all that. Will take your advice and try one of the aforsaid games which are available.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

While the source was handed over eventually thanks to the production staff, no rights were given for the distribution of either of the original Discworld games (AFAIK Noir isn't based off the Tinsel engine) it would seem. This is the most common case, we've been lucky as a community Revolution were so kind as to make Lure of The Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky freely available, pluss John Passfield and Steve Stamatiadis for making Flight of The Amazon Queen available to us.
In some cases this is possibly due to contracts made with distribution companies which are still in effect so don't be too concerned about it.
The good part is most of the good adventure games you can find with a little effort if you go looking in bargain bins in stores (where I have picked up all of the Kyrandia talkies and my Space Quest collection), some online stores (Amazon charge like a wounded bull but you sometimes get lucky, Ebay is usually cheaper however [I'm not sure how I slipped my Discworld set around the guys here or the price would have at least tripled]), Pawnbrokers (Full Throttle and Inherit The Earth [strangely enough for out here] in my case though at high prices usually).
tburke

Post by tburke »

Ceri Cat wrote:While the source was handed over eventually thanks to the production staff, no rights were given for the distribution of either of the original Discworld games (AFAIK Noir isn't based off the Tinsel engine) it would seem. This is the most common case, we've been lucky as a community Revolution were so kind as to make Lure of The Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky freely available, pluss John Passfield and Steve Stamatiadis for making Flight of The Amazon Queen available to us.
While this is true in general, the wiki suggests that Discworld will (eventually) be freeware. This, of course, may take some time, however...
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Tinsel is here! Thanks to the ScummVM overlords, we will can enjoy the first Discworld game. The miracle happened!

http://cia.vc/stats/project/scummvm

The CABAL is nearer than ever! The final version will be able to run all adventure games in the universe and even more, it will be self-conscient and able to autogenerate millions of masterpiece adventure games in less than a second.

Please send all your material possessions and money to them, they deserve it ;)

PS: When will happen the Tinsel party? Can we go there disguised as adventure game characters and famous objects (Chuck...)?
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

I assume we'll have to wait until after the 0.12.0 testing to get a daily build with Tinsel?
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

just finished compiling the newest SVN for windows and discworld is working and looking great. thanks alot for this guys. now i can finally play this game without DOSBOX (which i didnt get on with)

http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... mvmpj1.jpg
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

man, if you're running windows would you mind sticking up the compiled svn here? please:)
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

ok here you go Jonathan and anyone else who is interested. i just uploaded it onto a few sites. (they are all the same file just mirror's incase any of them go down)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/bb4917/ ... cworld_rar

http://www.badongo.com/file/10528912

http://www.uploadjockey.com/download/17 ... cworld.rar

Just remember this is my personal build and not a offical release by any team or anything so dont treat it like its a offical build. I have just compiled the SVN with Visual Studio 2008 Express. Plus it only has the original Scummvm classic skin and not the new one.
Also i have packed the EXE with UPX just to make it smaller.
Also let us know how you get on with it since i have only tested the first few mins of the game (i cant play right now because i am going out soon)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

will do, thank you very much:)