Fate of Atlantis: Strange issues with Lost dialogue of Plato

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ICEknight

Fate of Atlantis: Strange issues with Lost dialogue of Plato

Post by ICEknight »

I've been trying FoA and I've noticed that sometimes, when I first find the lost dialogue of Plato and read it, after exiting the book screen I'd get "teleported" to some previous scene like I was loading a savestate (with just the same items I had back then and all).

Has anybody else had this weird bug? This happened in the previous version, either if I looked at the book after finding it or when Sophia took a look when talking to her (I had to skip that sequence).

I'll try with the newest version soon, just in case it was already fixed.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Fate of Atlantis: Strange issues with Lost dialogue of P

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ICEknight wrote:I've been trying FoA and I've noticed that sometimes, when I first find the lost dialogue of Plato and read it, after exiting the book screen I'd get "teleported" to some previous scene like I was loading a savestate (with just the same items I had back then and all).
From what I remember, the game actually does make a "secret" save game just before you read the dialog, which it restores afterwards. But I have no idea why it would load the wrong one.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

yes, please try rev 32565 i posted here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/ScummVM

there was a savegame issue on the prior version, maybe its related.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

I seems to works fine now, thanks.
msliczniak

I have the same problem

Post by msliczniak »

The thing is I have been using 32565 from the beginning. I just went and downloaded again from the link and did a cmp of the two tar balls and they are identical. (scummvm-20080605233742.tgz)

I have been having other save game issues as well. On time in FoA I saved and then later when I wanted to load the game it said something like invalid save file or some such instead of the usual save #. I loaded it and it worked fine. But when I ran into this problem detailed by ICEknight I thought that was the problem and I started from an earlier save game before the corrupted one and eventually I reached the same lost dialogue part and the same result occurred.

I also remember thinking one time when I was playing Sam & Max that I must have forgotten to save since the save that I loaded was way earlier with respect to the things I had done. Now I think this may have been a save game issue as well, like it loaded not the one I selected but an earlier one. This could have been stupidity of some sort on my part though.
msliczniak

work around

Post by msliczniak »

I was able to figure-out a work-around and I have some more info that can be useful for fixing this bug.

What I did is I put the SD card in the reader on my Mac. Then I did this:

Code: Select all

eMac:scummvm aga$ ls
AUTHORS		atlantis.s02	ft.s00		maniac-v1-1.s00	samnmax.s03
COPYING		atlantis.s03	ft.s01		meta.xml	samnmax.s04
COPYRIGHT	atlantis.s04	ft.s02		modern.ini	samnmax.s05
NEWS		atlantis.s05	icon.png	modern.zip	scummvm.ini
README		atlantis.s06	igor.tbl	queen.tbl	sky.cpt
READMII		atlantis.s07	iq-points	samnmax.c26	tentacle.s00
atlantis.c99	atlantis.s08	kyra.dat	samnmax.s00	tentacle.s01
atlantis.s00	boot.dol	lure.dat	samnmax.s01
atlantis.s01	classic080.ini	m4.dat		samnmax.s02
eMac:scummvm aga$ mv atlantis.s0[01234567] ~/wiihd/
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s00: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s01: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s02: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s03: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s04: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s05: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s06: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
mv: /Users/aga/wiihd/atlantis.s07: set flags (was: 00200000): Operation not permitted
The mv actually did work, now only atlantis.s08 was left. This was the point in the game when I had the "Lost Dialogue of Plato". I started scummvm from the homebrew channel and loaded that save game. It was the only one at the eighth slot in the list.

Then I looked at the "Lost Dialogue of Plato" and when I did the '-' button I was right where I should have been instead of some other save game. Great I thought. I went to the menu and then to the load game screen and now I saw one thing odd. The autosave slot had the same game in it now as the one in save game 8 and even had the same name, save 8 instead of the usual auto save name.

Then I walked to the office and after talking with Sofia it had me look at the book automatically again. This time after pressing '-' I ended-up back at the same save again, ie the problem was back.

So what I think is going on is some earlier save gets picked if you have any saves, probably the auto save one.

I was able to work around it again this time by going to the office and as sofia was talking with me, pressing '-' for ESC and it skipped the whole look at the book go back to an earlier save issue.

I hope there is now enough info here to help solve this problem. I can provide the save file right before the problem if anyone is interested and thinks it may help in solving the bug.
msliczniak

rev 33083 seems to fix this issue

Post by msliczniak »

Thank you dhewg, I just tried it again with rev 33083 (scummvm-20080716124536.zip) and it seems to fix this issue once and for all.

I was about to make a new post about Sam & Max Hit the Road crashing with rev 32565 at the point when you float in the fiberglass fish but I tried that in rev 33083 and it works! Thank you again to all scummvm devs! There is a slight pause and then the game continues with rev 33083, while with the previous build it crashed back to the Homebrew channel.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

sorry for the massive delay, i was.. uhm... <insert excuse here>

i'm glad the fix worked, enjoy :)