Monkey Island 2 music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Spinning Chrysalis

Monkey Island 2 music

Post by Spinning Chrysalis »

I have Monkey Island 2 on the Monkey Island Madness CD. Until recently, when I played it using ScummVM, it played the version of the MI2 score that was created for that CD. However, I went into it again and instead heard the much more primitive music from the original floppy-disk version of the game! Nothing has changed except that ScummVM has been updated. Does anyone know why this is happening?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There is no difference between the CD and the floppy version. You probably used a different driver in ScummVM. "Adlib" emulates FM synthesis, which most are familiar with from old Soundblaster cards.
Just try the other drivers. Depends on your system which one works best.
Spinning Chrysalis

There's a difference with THIS CD version– or at least there was until now. (It was the combined re-release of SMI and MI2 in 1996.) I tried every audio driver option and it made no difference.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

well, no, there is no difference. NO version of MI2 uses cd-tracks(except FM-Towns, which I sincerly doubt that you own), sound is handled by the iMUSE system so it has got to have something to do with your Adlib drivers or sound settings in ScummVM.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Enhanced Redbook audio for MI1, and updated interface.
No changes noted for MI2.

Secret of Monkey Island was the only MI game with CD audio, all the others used iMUSE. What kind of soundcard did you have before? And what one now?
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Spinning Chrysalis wrote:There's a difference with THIS CD version– or at least there was until now. (It was the combined re-release of SMI and MI2 in 1996.) I tried every audio driver option and it made no difference.
No. There is NO difference. I'd wager a bet that more than half the people on this forum have the exact same CD as you.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Spinning Chrysalis wrote:There's a difference with THIS CD version– or at least there was until now. (It was the combined re-release of SMI and MI2 in 1996.) I tried every audio driver option and it made no difference.
I agree as well, there is NO difference
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

wow. it feels like I just read the same post 4 times over.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Repetition helps some people to learn Jonatan. Though honestly I sometimes wonder given how often we go to war, just how slow the powers that be are to learn. :-(
Spinning Chrysalis

Different versions of the MI2 score showed up somewhere– there are three different versions of the opening theme available on the Scumm Bar, labeled for three different platforms (and none of them sound like this version). And if I knew a way to stick audio files onto these posts, I would show you– I recorded the music from Stan's shop straight off the computer about nine months ago, and I still have that recording. But if I go into Stan's now, the music is different. And no, my sound card has not changed.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

but your settings obviously are.
Spinning Chrysalis

What settings? The only options under the ScummVM Audio menu have to do with subtitles and volume levels, except for the "Music Driver" menu. I don't know what a music driver is, but I tried every option on the list and nothing changed.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Spinning Chrysalis wrote:What settings? The only options under the ScummVM Audio menu have to do with subtitles and volume levels, except for the "Music Driver" menu. I don't know what a music driver is, but I tried every option on the list and nothing changed.
At least if you have the DOS version of Monkey Island 2, there should be a difference between Adlib and native MIDI. (The name of the native MIDI driver depends on what operating system you have. On Windows, it would be called Windows MIDI, for instance.)

In this case, it would not only affect how the music is played, but also which music is played. The game has music written for the Roland MT-32 (by default, ScummVM tries to approximate the instruments with General MIDI), AdLib (which ScummVM emulates), and for the PC Speaker (not yet supported for this game).
Spinning Chrysalis

I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure what would work best, but when I first started looking at the problem the music driver was set to QuickTime, which you would expect to work on a Mac. Since I had no reason to change the music driver before now, I assume that's what it was set to a few months ago when the music quality was better. That suggests that it's something else that has changed. In any case, none of the music driver settings seem to make a difference now.
Ferid

Post by Ferid »

I have a similar question--I have the CD tracks from MI1 working without having the CD in the drive. The tracks for MI2 at this site: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/ sound better then what I have on my Monkey Island Madness version of the game. Is there any way to get the game to run those versions like I got MI1 to do?

Edit: Just installed Sam and Max and have pretty much the same issue there too. It doesn't sound as good as the ones on that site--is there just a setting that I have wrong?