Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

no chance, 8800gt
Pagey

Post by Pagey »

Cyphox - have you tried going to Run, typing dxdiag, going to the display tab and disabling Direct Draw? That allowed me to run the game in software mode in fullscreen without any prblems.
Jonatan wrote:disable multithread processing in Grim.exe and turn of any antialiasing(GF does not like newer nVidia cards) or run in software rendering mode and you should be fine.
Jonatan wrote:yes, as I said, the sound stuttering is a result of Grim Fandangos inability to handle multithread processing. set it to run with only one processor and it will most probably run fine.
I'm running a Core 2 Extreme without hyperthreading, so I've nothing to switch off in the BIOS. I still have the sound cutting out and sometimes making the game crash, though. Would you be able to explain how to turn off multi-thread processing please?
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

Pagey wrote:Cyphox - have you tried going to Run, typing dxdiag, going to the display tab and disabling Direct Draw? That allowed me to run the game in software mode in fullscreen without any prblems.
Jonatan wrote:disable multithread processing in Grim.exe and turn of any antialiasing(GF does not like newer nVidia cards) or run in software rendering mode and you should be fine.
Jonatan wrote:yes, as I said, the sound stuttering is a result of Grim Fandangos inability to handle multithread processing. set it to run with only one processor and it will most probably run fine.
I'm running a Core 2 Extreme without hyperthreading, so I've nothing to switch off in the BIOS. I still have the sound cutting out and sometimes making the game crash, though. Would you be able to explain how to turn off multi-thread processing please?
start the game -> while in the intro start the taskmanager, right-click on grim.exe -> affinity (correct word? don't know...)
oduverne

Post by oduverne »

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yep, try one of those two things. it is possible to modify the actual grim.exe too, if you really want to mess around with things.
Pagey

Post by Pagey »

Thanks fellas. Problem sorted.

Shame I'm stuck without the 3d hardware acceleration, but hey, it's still the same game.
grimfanfan

Can;t Load games in Grim Fandango with GrimX

Post by grimfanfan »

Hi-
I've been playing Grim Fandago with GrimX, but whenever I try to load a saved game, residual "quits unexpectedly." Does anyone know hy this happens and what I can do about it?
Thanks a lot.
whoozle

Post by whoozle »

I have both english and russian CDs of Grim Fandango game, but the latest svn version of residual simply exits right after splash (the same for the english and russian versions).

./residual -debug=ALL
last few lines

Code: Select all

Function GetControlState(306) called
Function GetControlState(305) called
Function GetControlState(308) called
Function GetControlState(307) called
Function ReadRegistryValue("GrimDataDir") called
Function PrintDebug("You Lose!") called
Debug: You Lose!
my ~/.residualrc:

DataDir=/home/whoozle/games/grim/lab
GrimDataDir=/home/whoozle/games/grim/lab
any hints/ideas ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

whoozle wrote: my ~/.residualrc:

DataDir=/home/whoozle/games/grim/lab
GrimDataDir=/home/whoozle/games/grim/lab
any hints/ideas ?
The README file says that ~/.residualrc should look like

DataDir=[path to all the .lab files]
good_times=TRUE
But I cant try it at the moment, so I don't know what difference - if any - the "good_times" line makes.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

"good_times" enables the debugger in registry.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

didn't good_times also disable cd detection?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yes.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Has anyone figured out how to save in the Mac version of GrimX?
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

Crimsonskies wrote:Has anyone figured out how to save in the Mac version of GrimX?
grimx build is outdated.

if you have intel platform use recent version from http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects.php

saving is currently only partialy working.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

aquadran wrote:
Crimsonskies wrote:Has anyone figured out how to save in the Mac version of GrimX?
grimx build is outdated.

if you have intel platform use recent version from http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects.php

saving is currently only partialy working.
Is there something like that for people who don't have a intel mac?