Runaway - a road adventure

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

Runaway - a road adventure

Post by Adventureguy »

Hi guys,
I was wondering if the adventure "Runaway" from Pendulo Studios could be supported by ScummVM someday and if someone already asked Pendulo about the sourcecode of the game. It would be cool to play this game on ScummVM :D .
I'm just asking out of curiousity, I know that you at ScummVM have a lot to do. I really appreciate the work you've done and do. Keep it up :wink: .
dark_inchworm

Post by dark_inchworm »

This was released just last year or the year before... is there really any problem running it on current PCs?

If not, I wouldn't see the point in adding support to ScummVM.
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

OK, it's not necessary to support it. When I wrote this I had problems to run it on Windows XP, but I've already found a patch to get it running. But it would be cool to play Runaway on a PSP or even on a mobile phone 8) .
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

I could be wrong, but as far as I've been able to tell, the main purpose of ScummVM is to make games playable under Linux and *BSD. This means that a game is within the scope of ScummVM if ALL the following prerequisites are fulfilled:
  • The game is not playable under Wine or similar projects
  • The source code of the game can be legally obtained
and
  • There are programmers interested in porting the game to ScummVM
If any of these are not fulfilled, chances are it won't be included in ScummVM.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

cappuchok wrote:I could be wrong, but as far as I've been able to tell, the main purpose of ScummVM is to make games playable under Linux and *BSD.
Nope, the main purpose of ScummVM is being able to play those games on any platform you desire, especially modern platforms....

Windows users also have a great need of using ScummVM, especially because of the lack of legacy SoundBlaster support on NT kernel OSes.
dark_inchworm

Post by dark_inchworm »

Point taken, thanks guys.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

cappuchok wrote:I could be wrong, but as far as I've been able to tell, the main purpose of ScummVM is to make games playable under Linux and *BSD.
Not specific to those OSes. More correct is to be portable, i.e. supported by all of our current ports and any future ones. Of course, some games just can't run on some particular device due to its capabilities restrictions.
cappuchok wrote: The game is not playable under Wine or similar projects
No. Wine is not portable. Dosbox eats too much CPU power. So that is not a requirement

cappuchok wrote:The source code of the game can be legally obtained
We have sources for 8 games, and support almost 100. That is not a requirement. Though it eases development by several orders of magnutude.
cappuchok wrote:There are programmers interested in porting the game to ScummVM
Now this is a real requirement. Even if we're given with source code, we need somebody to work on it, so this is a MUST.

Another requirement is that there does not exist a maintained implementation for that particular engine. A good example is Sierra games. FreeSCI will not be merged with ScummVM because it is maintained now. (And there are no interested developers either).

Eugene
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

were did you find the patch?
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

I would think Runaway would indeed be within ScummVMs scope.

But I think this game is rather something to be considered in the far future, as there is still much to do for current engines.

But, I hope one day we will have the Super-Adventure-VM I always dreamt of..... :D
clem

Post by clem »

But, I hope one day we will have the Super-Adventure-VM I always dreamt of.....
reminds me a little bit of the MAME story; according to wikipedia they're at 3,327 unique games by now
:-)
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Nemesis wrote:were did you find the patch?
I found it right here: http://www.uthers.de/runaway/
It works fine for the german 3CD-version of the game, don't know if it works for other versions.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

big problem with Runaway: it uses Windows Media Video for cutsenes and such, which would be hard to include properly in a portable way, and, if included, could be a legal risk...
pi

Post by pi »

Well then there are two options: urge the user to get the necessary libraries by himself (which is his/her problem then), or provide a converted version - which would require a permission by the copyright owner. Anyhow, I don't think we'd have to worry about that anytime soon... :)

pi~
pelayo

Post by pelayo »

I don't see any problems with the videos. If they are simple WMV, it could be easy to convert them with (i think) ffmpeg or similar free tools. It would be even easier than Broken Sword, since convertion tools are opensourced. But i'd wait a few years before asking them the source code.

Also, Pendulo Studios made another adventure on 1994, with a very SCUMM-like interface (sorry, I don't know if they ever released it outside Spain), called Igor: Objetivo Uikokahonia. If someone wants to ask them for the source code of any game, I think Igor would be better for now.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

pelayo wrote:Also, Pendulo Studios made another adventure on 1994, with a very SCUMM-like interface (sorry, I don't know if they ever released it outside Spain), called Igor: Objetivo Uikokahonia. If someone wants to ask them for the source code of any game, I think Igor would be better for now.
Check this thread for an answer about Igor: Objetivo Uikokahonia.