Drascula wants to take over the world!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Drascula wants to take over the world!

Post by md5 »

You know there's something wrong when Count Drascula stops watching TV and starts conspiring with his faithful sidekick, Igor, to take over the world. And he wants to do that before tonight's football match starts! You are John Hacker and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to rescue your girlfriend Billy Jean from Count Drascula's nefarious clutches.

You will need your Drascula CD, a daily build of ScummVM and drascula.dat.

If you find a bug then please report it to our bug tracker. Please ensure that it follows the bug submission guidelines. You may also submit screenshots according to the screenshot guidelines
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

There's news about this on a spanish site about adventure games:

http://la-aventura.net/noticias/2008/06 ... u-catalogo
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Is Drascula still being sold? I cannot locate a copy on e-Bay.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Hmm it's originally a Spanish release so the English version can be a little hard to find at times. I've seen it for sale I think twice on EBay, I'm not aware of it being sold anywhere else, however that doesn't mean much even though it is about 12 years old.
Tsampikos

Post by Tsampikos »

There was an English version of Drascula.The game was playable in DOS and Windows.I don't think that the game is still sold.It had english audio (voiceacting) also.The 0.12 update of ScummVM will be great.So many "new" nice games supported and soon Discworld too...Great work! :D
Last edited by Tsampikos on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Tsampikos:

You have violated Forum Rule #0.

Please do NOT promote piracy in the ScummVM forums.
I suggest you modify your post.
Tsampikos

Post by Tsampikos »

If the game is abandonware (it's 12 years old) there is no piracy issue.Of course none of us wants to promote piracy.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

legally, there's no such thing as abandonware... so whether or not it's ethically acceptable, our benevolent hosts choose to keep discussion of such things off these boards.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

as hippy dave states, abandonware is just a sticker some people have slapped on old software. it is still copyrighted and therefore, YES, there is a piracy issue.

ps. thanks for modifying your post:)
Tsampikos

Post by Tsampikos »

It is a subject that can't be analyzed in this forum of course.But there's much to discuss about it.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

not really, copyright doesn't simply vanish after 10 years, that's a myth. downloading Drascula is just as illegal as downloading a newly released movie.
Tsampikos

Post by Tsampikos »

I agree with you.Copyright does never vanish.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tsampikos wrote:I agree with you.Copyright does never vanish.
Copyright usually does expire eventually. That's how things like Project Gutenberg and the Mutopia Project can operate.

But it takes a long time. In the USA, it's something like the lifetime of the author, plus another 70 years. If it's "work for hire", i.e. the copyright is not held by a person, it's 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's extended further in the future. They say that's what happened the last time the original Mickey Mouse cartoons were about to enter the public domain.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Well by the time copyright expires on software it's well beyond any system it ever ran on. Even the old punch cards are still under copyright. The best you can hope for is a company releasing a game into the PD or as freeware, and no freeware is not public domain software nor is shareware. If there's a title you would like to see released as freeware/PD you need to write to the creators. But as you can see with Discworld as an example it can take years to hunt them down. I spent 3 years trying to find one of the developers of an old game I wanted to remake, in the end I had to give up because every lead turned up empty, even his co-developer had no idea where he'd disappeared to.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

back onto topic
its great you finally announced Drascula :)
Rob