The newest update to FreeSCI rocks

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobablob

The newest update to FreeSCI rocks

Post by bobablob »

Well,

Like a lot of people, I sort of pushed FreeSCI out of my mind after what seemed a lengthy period of dormancy. I'm sure that the regulars in the community were aware of this before now, but last month, the FreeSCI crew released a new version. All I can say is WOW!!! All of the SCI0 games that I have tested run brilliantly on my Macbook Pro.

The frame rate, image, and sound quality all far exceed Dosbox.

Truly fantastic.

Great work to those chums.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's great, but we are not affiliated with FreeSCI (at least not yet ;) ). So you'd better send your thanks to FreeSCI's mailing list (as far as I know, they don't have a forum), so that they'll be more likely to notice it :)
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

They must still think FreeSCI and SCUMM VM are merging. ;-)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

well, that MIGHT actually happen;)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Jonatan wrote:well, that MIGHT actually happen;)
Oh? How come? At least there are no plans now.

Eugene
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

sorry sev, my memory made a booboo:P
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Nah, I had my heart broken by one April Fool's Joke! I know that ScummVM and FreeSCI are distinct projects. I also know that there's a lot of love on these boards for the old Sierra adventures. Just wanted to spread the good news. :D
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

was there not something in this years GSoC about implementing some type of freesci into scummvm? i must have misread something if that is the case.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That is indeed the case. There is a GSoC student working on this, however the aim is to make FreeSCI a plugin for ScummVM. Development of FreeSCI will continue separately, it will just be possible to compile it together with ScummVM, and take advantage of ScummVM's GUI, detector, common code and ports
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

that was what my memory was trying to tell me, I guess
Collector

Post by Collector »

md5 wrote:That is indeed the case. There is a GSoC student working on this, however the aim is to make FreeSCI a plugin for ScummVM. Development of FreeSCI will continue separately, it will just be possible to compile it together with ScummVM, and take advantage of ScummVM's GUI, detector, common code and ports
That alone is enough. FreeSCI is clumsy to use. Going through ScummVM would make it friendlier to use.
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

There is a GSoC student working on this, however the aim is to make FreeSCI a plugin for ScummVM.
Is this related, by any chance: https://www-plan.cs.colorado.edu/cgi-bi ... gi?id=2859?
Side note: last night I've pulled FreeSCI source code and was pleasantly surprised. It's been awhile since I saw it the last time, and they've switched to "Glutton" branch since then. The code is order of magnitude cleaner, appears to be smaller than the older versions, and compiled nearly "as is" (except for a dependency on DX8 headers in one file).