Classic LucasArts adventure game titles may be revived

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

Post by clem »

glaufan

Post by glaufan »

darn =)
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Don't hold your breath. Every time they've started in the past they've canned the projects.
clem

Post by clem »

Ceri Cat wrote:Don't hold your breath. Every time they've started in the past they've canned the projects.
Yeah, that's pretty much what was posted in the other threads.

But maybe there will be some more posts about this topic, so every subforum can have its own "Lucasarts says NDS carts are too small" post! :D
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

maybe we should encourage everyone to write to lucasarts saying what an awesome idea it is, and also that they should finish ft2 and s&m2... :idea:
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

Does this mean that if this goes through, that the DOS versions I spent a bunch of money on will be worthless?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

skotafactor wrote:Does this mean that if this goes through, that the DOS versions I spent a bunch of money on will be worthless?
That depends on what you mean by "worthless". To me, what makes a game valuable is mostly how fun it is to play it, and sometimes how nice the packaging is. Nothing LucasArts could do should ever change that.
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

True, very true.
Collector

Post by Collector »

skotafactor wrote:Does this mean that if this goes through, that the DOS versions I spent a bunch of money on will be worthless?
With great tools like ScummVM and DOSBox, none of these wonderful old classics will ever be worthless. Besides, any new games will likely not include some of the extras that used to come with the old ones.
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

I didn't mean just toss them out and buy the new ones, I was just saying that we'd see a dramatic price drop on ebay. I spent a couple hundred bucks to purchase almost every lucasarts classic on ebay a couple months ago, and I'd hate to see the games lose a large amount of their material value (even though the sentimental one will always be there.)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

skotafactor wrote:I spent a couple hundred bucks to purchase almost every lucasarts classic on ebay a couple months ago, and I'd hate to see the games lose a large amount of their material value (even though the sentimental one will always be there.)
Reminds me of one of the first comments when Telltale announced that they were going to re-release the Surfin' the Highway comic book: "I feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if a million eBay sellers scream out in agony."
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

I doubt that'll happen. It actually tends to raise the value of the vintage items like the 3.5 floppy version of Indy, being a harder to find release in its complete form of box, manual, reference card and disks. That being said though, most of those who'll suffer anguish deserve to anyway as they love to get ridiculous amounts of money for stuff. I've actually seen a lot of people selling anime in Australia at auction prices that going direct to Madman seems reasonable, and their prices are insane to start with. Besides like I said before, this is Lucas, them releasing even an antique like MM or Zak on the DS is unlikely. They canned their new development titles like FT2 and S&M2 because they consider us too small a market to make a profit off sales.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Last week it was anounced that after Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is finished, Lucasarts is canning all internal deveopment. Another game they have been working on for some time will be outsourced.

With internal development going out, hopes for company revivals seem more distant than ever.

And if it is picked up, it will go out to the cheapest bidder. As I have said before, it would be very similiar to the sierra classic collections that ignored the best versions of each game and shoehorned them into a bad port of dosbox.

Granted - there is a slightly better benefit to re-release LA games, in that they go for quite a bit more used than sierra games do. Anyone can spend 50 bucks and get original dos copies of the entire KQ collection, with original media, manuals, etc. That same 50 is a downpayment on a decent copy of many LA games.

Might help discourage all the pirating as well if people weren't expected to pay absorbent amounts for an old game. I'm sure there are many scummvm users with illegal copies if for no other reason than they don't feel that $100+ is a fair price for Loom. Granted, some people do it anyways, but that price point only encourages that type of behaviour.

long rant short - lucasarts isn't in much of a position to be releasing much of anything worth a damn right now. Previews of Fracture have been abysmal.
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

Humongous games are being released for Wii by Majesco Entertainment.

Freddi Fish - Kelp Seed Mystery

Pajama Sam - Don't Fear the Dark

Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
Last edited by JonWW on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.