Games tested with R32565

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dasaan

Games tested with R32565

Post by Dasaan »

This weekend I played through Monkey Island 1 and Sam and Max on my wii. Both were completable with no crashes, I played through with my little sister and she was drawn into the story even though she's grown up with "modern" games.
I also tried to play The Dig and Broken Sword 1 but both crashed a couple of times, at different places each time unfortunately. Both games were very jerky at times, and this got worse a couple of minutes before each time the game crashed.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

thanks for those long term tests, much appreciated ;) i hope your sister enjoyed these classic games.

games like sword (and COMI) mostly suffer from the sd reading performance we have today on the wii with libfat. wii homebrew is still in its early days, but its already great that its working so nicely. im sure smart minds will tweak libfat in the future and scummvm will automatically gain from those changes.

i only tested dig and sword for a few minutes, but it looked fine to me, here're some tips:
- format your sd card with the FAT16 filesystem (performs better than FAT32)
- only copy one game at a time onto your sd card to avoid file fragmentation
- make sure you "safely remove" the sd card prior to physically ejecting it (avoids data corruption)

the card quality matters too, my kingston 2gb card works way nicer than my cheap ass 1gb one
ascummyguy

Post by ascummyguy »

I just successfully completed Day of the Tentacle (talkie) with zero crashes or errors. Very smooth most of the time and nothing I could find to complain about.
Vurtual

Post by Vurtual »

dhewg, first of all thanks so much for your ScummVM Port. That's exactly what I was dreaming of - lying on my couch, playing my all time favourite games with the Wiimote :) My Homebrew Channel currently features only ScummVM and the WAD Installer - nothing else needed ;)

I first tried the version that was in the apps bundle that is downloadable at the Homebrew Channel website. I tried "The dig" and the cut scenes didn't play well. Later in the game it got worse. With the newest version (32565) it works very well. Didn't notice any problems yet and I've come pretty far in the game so far - no crashes, no lags.

Another game that I intend to play is "Broken sword 2". I've only tested it for a few minutes and the game seems to work fine but there is a minor graphical issue that is nonetheless pretty annoying. The upper and lower area of the screen feature the inventory and the options (load, save,..) These areas look corrupted. I'm no coder but it seems as if these areas do not get refreshed or something. When starting the game it also doesn't go into fullscreen but the short intro of the publisher is floating over the scummvm menu. after the intro it goes into fullscreen. If this small issue is somehow going to be fixed I'll be the happiest fan of your port ;)
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

Vurtual wrote:Another game that I intend to play is "Broken sword 2". I've only tested it for a few minutes and the game seems to work fine but there is a minor graphical issue that is nonetheless pretty annoying. The upper and lower area of the screen feature the inventory and the options (load, save,..) These areas look corrupted. I'm no coder but it seems as if these areas do not get refreshed or something. When starting the game it also doesn't go into fullscreen but the short intro of the publisher is floating over the scummvm menu. after the intro it goes into fullscreen. If this small issue is somehow going to be fixed I'll be the happiest fan of your port ;)
It looks like an overlay handling bug. If I remember correctly, the MPEG videos are played using the overlay. In the meantime you could try using the DXA cutscenes, which I suppose will be rendered in the main game surface.
Vurtual

Post by Vurtual »

jvprat wrote:It looks like an overlay handling bug. If I remember correctly, the MPEG videos are played using the overlay. In the meantime you could try using the DXA cutscenes, which I suppose will be rendered in the main game surface.
Hope this question isn't too stupid but what do you mean by DXA cutscenes?
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

Vurtual wrote:Hope this question isn't too stupid but what do you mean by DXA cutscenes?
DXA is an alternative file format for the cutscenes of some games (which furthermore has superior quality than the MPEG ones you probably have). Here's a Broken Sword 2 setup guide which talks about it. The interesting part is the one about videos. You have to download some files from the extra section of the downloads page.
Vurtual

Post by Vurtual »

jvprat wrote:DXA is an alternative file format for the cutscenes of some games (which furthermore has superior quality than the MPEG ones you probably have). Here's a Broken Sword 2 setup guide which talks about it. The interesting part is the one about videos. You have to download some files from the extra section of the downloads page.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of it. I'll give it a try :)
Vurtual

Post by Vurtual »

Ah, the DXA movies didn't fix the corrupted screen areas but I guess it will be fixed in some future release anyway.
buckely

Post by buckely »

I played Full Throttle and Sam & Max all the way to the end, no noticeable glitches. Both games saved fine with no problem. The only difficult thing was controlling the car in the demolition derby in Full Throttle. It took a bit to get used to the rotation but after about 5 minutes it was a piece of cake. On a side note, i was rather impressed with myself for remembering everything for both games when it has been about 5 years since I have played them. I am going to try the CD version of Loom and the 256 color Zak McKracken next.
Javi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Javi-Wan Kenobi »

(Sorry for my possibly bad english)

Is Drascula playable with this version of ScummVM?

I tried to play it with the PC version (the last stable one, not the SVN's) and ScummVM doesn't find the game. I know that you can play it with the SVN's, but I can wait to the stable version.

But, since the scummvm directory of the Wii version has the drascula.dat file, I thought that the game was playable. ScummVM finds the game and put it in the index, but when trying to play it, it stucks in the first animation, when the castle starts to appear.
I have the spanish version of the game, and I've converted the CD tracks to mp3 files. The game starts with the DDM and the Alcachofa Soft logos, both correctly (though a little slow) with their respective music, and then stops.

Maybe it's the SD speed issue? There's a method for avoiding that issue, like the one for COMI (it worked fine for me), compressing the files or something?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

yes, the drascula game engine is integrated in the wii build, but since i do not own that game im afraid i cant help you :\
did you try it without the cd audio tracks? does the same thing happen on the english version?
the speed issues are most probably SD related. while faster cards do work better, the real problem is the performance on the used library to access the data.