Help with Monkey Island 3

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gordonfreeman_19

Help with Monkey Island 3

Post by gordonfreeman_19 »

Hey there I have monkey Island 3 in a 2 disc set and non of my PC's can play it and I'm clueless on how to put it in scummvm. HELP! :shock:
crypto

Post by crypto »

Create a folder on your hard drive and call it something like "Monkey Island 3" or "The Curse of Monkey Island" or whatever you wish.

Load up CD 1 and copy the following into that folder:

- file COMI.LA0
- file COMI.LA1
- folder RESOURCE

Load up CD 2 and copy the following into that folder:

- file COMI.LA2
- folder RESOURCE

NOTE: When you copy the RESOURCE folder the second time, you will be prompted to overwrite some FONT and LANGUAGE files.
It doesn't matter whether you overwrite them or not, because they are exactly the same files on CD1 and CD2.

Now fire up ScummVM and click on 'Add Game...'.
Within ScummVM, navigate to the folder on your hard drive that contains the game data, and click on 'Choose'.
ScummVM will then identify the game. Click 'OK'.

Highlight the game and click on 'Start'.
gordonfreeman_19

Thank you! it works great but I have one more question dose monkey Island 4 run on Scummvm?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

gordonfreeman_19 wrote:Thank you! it works great but I have one more question dose monkey Island 4 run on Scummvm?
Nope, and probably never will be
MI4 is 3D and hence out of scope of ScummVM
gordonfreeman_19

ok, and sorry one more thing how can you transfer saved games from one scummVM to another on a different PC
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

gordonfreeman_19 wrote:ok, and sorry one more thing how can you transfer saved games from one scummVM to another on a different PC
Find the saved games in the save drawer on one PC, copy them to a stick/disk/cd/dvd/whatever
and save them in the save drawer of the other pc
mone

Post by mone »

Hey I've been having a problem with MI3, when it gets to the point where it swaps from disk 1 to disk 2 I get a message saying ERROR: (52:29:0xD44): Bundlemgr::open() Cannot open bundle file: musdisk2.bun

Anyone know what i need to do to keep playing?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mone wrote:Hey I've been having a problem with MI3, when it gets to the point where it swaps from disk 1 to disk 2 I get a message saying ERROR: (52:29:0xD44): Bundlemgr::open() Cannot open bundle file: musdisk2.bun

Anyone know what i need to do to keep playing?
The musdisk2.bun file, obviously.

Following the instructions earlier in this thread, you should have a RESOURCE folder that contains both the data files from disk 1 (e.g. musdisk1.bun) and disk 2 (e.g. musdisk2.bun).
mone

Post by mone »

I already have all the file copied that i need to, the game works perfect until i get to that point
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mone wrote:I already have all the file copied that i need to, the game works perfect until i get to that point
Then you probably put the musdisk2.bun file somewhere where ScummVM can't find it, because that's the only way I can reproduce that particular error message. (Replacing the file with an empty file, or one with incorrect data produces different error messages.)

ScummVM will look for the file in the folder you pointed it to when adding the game, and the resource. So, for instance, if the structure looks like this:

Code: Select all

monkey3
|-- comi.la0
|-- comi.la1
|-- comi.la2
`-- resource
    |-- musdisk1.bun
    |-- musdisk2.bun
ScummVM should be able to find it. But not if it looks like this:

Code: Select all

monkey3
|-- comi.la0
|-- comi.la1
|-- comi.la2
`-- resource
    |-- musdisk1.bun
    |-- resource
    |   |-- musdisk2.bun
    |   `-- ...
The file contains the music for the second half of the game, so it's not used at all for the first half.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Create a folder on your hard drive and call it something like "Monkey Island 3" or "The Curse of Monkey Island" or whatever you wish.

Load up CD 1 and copy the following into that folder:

- file COMI.LA0
- file COMI.LA1
- folder RESOURCE

Load up CD 2 and copy the following into that folder:

- file COMI.LA2
- folder RESOURCE

NOTE: When you copy the RESOURCE folder the second time, you will be prompted to overwrite some FONT and LANGUAGE files.
It doesn't matter whether you overwrite them or not, because they are exactly the same files on CD1 and CD2.

Now fire up ScummVM and click on 'Add Game...'.
Within ScummVM, navigate to the folder on your hard drive that contains the game data, and click on 'Choose'.
ScummVM will then identify the game. Click 'OK'.

Highlight the game and click on 'Start'.
Hello, I must say this post was the reason for my registration (not that anyone cares about that detail anyway) so that I could have something clarified:

In order to play COMI with ScummVM (I'm using version 0.11.1) I followed the steps provided by crypto, but unfortunately couldn't play past the "CD change" part because ScummVM simply stopped working at all and I didn't get any specific error message or couldn't find any log file (maybe I just overlooked)... I'm running it on Vista by the way.

I've got a main folder with COMI.LA0, COMI.LA1 and COMI.LA2 files, and also another folder named RESOURCE inside the main one with multiple files:
(the whole list of them)

BBSAN.SAN
CURSERNG.SAN
FG010GP.SAN
FINALE.SAN
FONT0.NUT
FONT1.NUT
FONT2.NUT
FONT3.NUT
FONT4.NUT
KIS030.SAN
LANGUAGE.TAB
LAVARIDE.SAN
LIFTCRSE.SAN
MORESLAW.SAN
MUSDISK1.BUN
MUSDISK2.BUN
NEWBOOTS.SAN
OPENING.SAN
SB010.SAN
SB020.SAN
SINKSHP.SAN
VOXDISK1.BUN
VOXDISK2.BUN
WRECKSAN.SAN
ZAP010.SAN

So, my question: is it just a "Vista problem" the reason I cannot play Monkey Island 3 or is the list above incomplete or incorrect in anyway? I appreciate any help.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

SomeGuy wrote: So, my question: is it just a "Vista problem" the reason I cannot play Monkey Island 3 or is the list above incomplete or incorrect in anyway? I appreciate any help.
The list of files looks complete to me.

Have you tried re-copying the files from the CDs? I don't know why, but a surprising number of times, strange crashes have turned out to be because files have somehow become corrupted and/or truncated.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Yes that worked, thank you. I copied the files one by one and it seems to work now.
DirkDiggler

Post by DirkDiggler »

Hello everybody!
I bought Monkey Island 3, I tried to install it on my pc but it doesn't work so I found ScummVM, I copied the files from the cds and it work until the ERROR: (52:29:0xD44): Bundlemgr::open() Cannot open bundle file: musdisk2.bun
So, as I read here, I tried to copy the files one by one from the cds but doesn't work. It repeat again ERROR: (52:29:0xD44): Bundlemgr::open() Cannot open bundle file: musdisk2.bun
Why?
I'm so depressed, I don't play with this wonderful game from years!
Help me please!
(Sorry for my english!)
clem

Post by clem »

DirkDiggler wrote:Hello everybody!
I bought Monkey Island 3, I tried to install it on my pc but it doesn't work so I found ScummVM, I copied the files from the cds and it work until the ERROR: (52:29:0xD44): Bundlemgr::open() Cannot open bundle file: musdisk2.bun
So, as I read here, I tried to copy the files one by one from the cds but doesn't work. It repeat again ERROR: (52:29:0xD44): Bundlemgr::open() Cannot open bundle file: musdisk2.bun
Why?
I'm so depressed, I don't play with this wonderful game from years!
Help me please!
(Sorry for my english!)
Apparently it can't find musdisk2.bun - are you sure this file is present?