LucasArts considering to make adventure games and more...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timofonic

LucasArts considering to make adventure games and more...

Post by timofonic »

http://gonintendo.com/?p=44914
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=143948

A PR guy and some "assistant producer" openened their mouths. The first one said that they are consirering to make adventure games again, the second said the following...

“The cart size of the DS makes it impossible to put out ports of any of our old graphic adventure. There’s literally not enough room on those carts to put the games out. It could still happen. We’ve got a lot of pride in our heritage and it’s definitely something we’re still leaving open.” - Fracture assistant producer Jeffrey Gullett
That guy seems to have ]b]NO[/b] clue, as he says DS is too limited for their classic adventure games. So ScummVM for Nintendo DS uses black magic?

About Lucas Arts making adventure games: I'm scared, maybe they will do a bunch of Star Wars adventure games. All their most talented people about adventure games is working on different companies, they must work A LOT to have the same kind of talented people on their new team(s).
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

the ds port does not us ds carts - it uses flash cards. Flash carts can be a couple of gigs. DS carts average 128 megabytes.

Has nothing to do with black magic - simple size limitations explain it very nicely.

your gonna end up with a LucasArts port of friggin Yoda Desktop stories for the DS at this rate.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

"The cart size of the DS makes it impossible to put out ports of any of our old graphic adventure" ??

Yes i remember, Monkey Island 1+2 used a hundred floppys oO

Their is also a floppy version of sam&max and dott
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

If the cart has 128MB available it's even possible to get the graphic adventures on there, provided the sound file has been suitably compressed, e.g. with the compress_scumm_sou tool provided with ScummVM.

I've compressed the data files from my Sam & Max and DOTT CD (White Label 2x pack from about 13 years ago), Sam & Max end up at 71MB, DOTT at 92MB although to be honest I moved the Maniac files somewhere else on my harddrive. (I should add at this point this is compression to Ogg Vorbis I did a while back in 2004, for a much older ScummVM, but still works great)

So I really can't see the argument for "any of our old graphic adventures", unless by "old" they mean Curse of Monkey Island or later. That's 10 years of history, so to me that'd be a justifiable use of the word old, but still I'd say there's hope yet.
theli

Post by theli »

Arantor wrote:If the cart has 128MB available ...
well, there is a commercial game on a 256MB cart
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

yes, a game can be heavily compressed - but guess what - now it has to be decompressed to run. The DS does not have enough upper memory to run those decompressed files in memory, nor does it have the processing power to run compressed games smoothly. Even the scummvm port has stuttering issues when using just mp3 files. Your suggesting not only compressed sound, but compressed data as well.

And yes, there are a few 256meg carts running around. They cost more to produce, so they are typically avoided like the plague. Does lucas arts think they can turn a profit on re-releasing old adventture games.... maybe. Dot hey think its worth using the most expensive carts available, using heavy compression, and dealing with all the technical issues that come along with that? Hell no.

Just look at Vivindi's dosbox re-release of the sierra games if you want to see how seriously publishers take re-releases.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

scoriae wrote:Your suggesting not only compressed sound, but compressed data as well.
Actually I was only referring to the voice files being compressed, but that was to fit within the 128MB limit. If using the 256MB limit elsewhere referred to then perhaps it could be done without any compression and run without problems on the DS.
scoriae wrote:And yes, there are a few 256meg carts running around. They cost more to produce, so they are typically avoided like the plague. Does lucas arts think they can turn a profit on re-releasing old adventture games.... maybe. Dot hey think its worth using the most expensive carts available, using heavy compression, and dealing with all the technical issues that come along with that? Hell no.
Well, when LucasArts re-released their later games in recent times, they actually added a Windows executable that wasn't available before, so they must have cared enough to actually develop something.

In the grander scheme of things if LucasArts actually wanted to, they could by using ScummVM. (I know this flies in the face of other things that have happened but it's a possibility), thus reducing the cost of development. If space was really a problem, it is documented that there is unused graphics in the datafiles, so these could be stripped out to reclaim every last byte of space.

It seems to me that they're not going to bother re-releasing the older games; you can't even buy them last time I checked for PC - not even the Monkey bounty pack.
scoriae wrote:Just look at Vivindi's dosbox re-release of the sierra games if you want to see how seriously publishers take re-releases.
Regarding the Sierra re-releases, it seems more like a way to make a quick couple of bucks since it's hardly polished or particularly well handled. I notice they took the time to bundle a custom installer, which looks a lot like the Windows Sierra installers of old.

The result is I think here LucasArts have found a reason they can hold up to the public as a why they won't do it, despite the fact that it can be argued against. ScummVM's DS port is proof that it can be done, but LucasArts don't actually want to. Cost may be one factor but I suspect it's because anything bearing the names Star Wars and Indiana Jones simply sell more with less real innovative effort.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere a comment about LucasArts - something about giving the sales guys a game with the words Star Wars in the title, and they can sell it. Give them anything else and they'll have trouble.

*breath* Sorry about the rant.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

As most people have already stated; there is absolutely no technical reason (and I say this as both a ScummVM and licensed DS developer) why the floppy versions of these games couldn't be "ported" to small (8-32MB) cartridges, and with some effort, even talkie versions of anything up to, and including, Sam & Max in 128MB cartridges.

Likely, the real issue here is that they can't get away with a simple direct "port" -- i.e. the scrolling / zooming that ScummVM does to make these 320x200 based games fit in the DS' 256x192, so it would require retooling of a large number of game screens, etc.
Not to mention the work needed to somehow involve the 2nd screen.

These things cost time and money, which they likely aren't willing to invest.

End of story. :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

joostp wrote: Not to mention the work needed to somehow involve the 2nd screen.
Isn't it obvious? It would be the perfect thing for that Day of the Tentacle easter egg! ;)
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
joostp wrote: Not to mention the work needed to somehow involve the 2nd screen.
Isn't it obvious? It would be the perfect thing for that Day of the Tentacle easter egg! ;)
Or the inventory/actions.
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

I'm not optimistic about them making new games; not least because, as far as I know, all the good adventure designers (Schafer et al) left LucasArts years ago. How can they start making them again when all their best adventure talent has been siphoned off and some are now running their own companies? Besides, it's been ages since they made anything that wasn't Star Wars derived and I wonder if they can even remember how to market a game that doesn't have a ready-made fanbase - it's been suggested before that the LA publicists have basically atrophied because Star Wars games practically sell themselves, which is why some of their last non-SW adventure games didn't do so well.

Frankly, I'm surprised LucasArts didn't just rename themselves as "The Star Wars Game Company" and have done with it.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Yep, a huge number of them seem to be turning up at Telltale apparently. mixnmojo had fun labelling them as LucasArts 2.0 even. ;-)
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

They have done something recently that wasn't SW related - LEGO Indy games.

Just further proof that if you have a good enough brand (or two, in this case) you can sell it without much effort.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Yeah well you can't go wrong when it's lego it seems. Lego stuff sells as well as Star Wars frequently, combine Lego with a Lucas property and you're guaranteed high sales. Pfft. Stupid though, they canned the last real adventure game based on Indy, Iron Phoenix.
clem

Post by clem »

Ceri Cat wrote:Yeah well you can't go wrong when it's lego it seems. Lego stuff sells as well as Star Wars frequently, combine Lego with a Lucas property and you're guaranteed high sales.
Let's look forward to the graphical adventure game Lego Monkey Island! :D