Secret of Monkey Island audio questions...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PsychoGoatee

Secret of Monkey Island audio questions...

Post by PsychoGoatee »

Hi, I've got some audio questions about Monkey Island 1.

Most of the Lucas Arts games I play, I bought in the old LucasArts Archives Vol. 1 & 3. I ripped them off the CDs, and have been playing them in SkummVM for years.

Now, I've got a question about Monkey Island 1. The versions I have I rip from my Monkey Island Madness CD in the Lucas Arts Archives Volume 3. Now, I simply rip the Monkey1 folder, which is 4.75 mb, and the Monkey 2 folder, which is 8.93 mb.

Now, I've seen posts such as this one saying Monkey Island 1 has CD audio.
clem wrote:Monkey Island 1 uses CD Audio,
Monkey Island 2 doesn't

rip the audio tracks from CD to mp3/ogg/flac and put them alongside the datafiles on your hd

README or forum search give more information on that
I've also seen posts stating Monkey Island 1 has audio voices, is this true? Anyways, how can I rip the audio from my CD? The contents of the CD appears to just be those two small Monkey Island folders, a Curse of Monkey Island demo, and a Direct X folder.

What's the deal? Thanks. :?

[Edit:]

Ok, I've found the 24 audio tracks by opening up the CD in Windows Media Player. What I find odd is how in Windows Explorer it didn't list the CD audio tracks. Is that because it's a mixed data/audio disc? It's almost like the tracks are hidden. :P

So, now via Windows Media Player, I just rip the tracks? I've read that ripping them to Mp3 can slow the game down? How can I simply copy the direct Wav files, when I can't see them in Explorer?

And, this is just for Monkey Island 1, correct? Monkey Island 2 doesn't have CD audio?

Man, it is funny that after many years of having this disc, I haven't been using the CD audio.
Last edited by PsychoGoatee on Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Monkey Island 1 doesn't have any speech

To rip the audio tracks, you can do that through Windows Media Player, CDEx, Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and other programs. The audio tracks are not visible in the game's folder.

The tracks need to be named track01.mp3, track02.mp3 etc (or .ogg or .flac, depending on the compression you'll use)
PsychoGoatee

Post by PsychoGoatee »

Oh man, I sort of figured it out right when you were posting it. So I get some points. :P

So, what's the deal, are mp3's discouraged? Should I get the WAV's?

I'm ripping it to Mp3's right now, just because 600mb seems a bit excessive for WAV audio. Of course, if the game runs better with WAVs, it would be worth it. So I just put these directly in the game folder?

Another question. If I had the Monkey Island Madness CD in the drive while I played, would ScummVM read the music off of it without me having to rip it?

Also, a related question. Any other LucasArts adventure games like this? As in, I have to rip the CD Audio, aside from the actual data in the game folder?

I'm just curious if I'm missing out on CD audio in any of the other LucasArts games.

[edit:]

Ok, I popped in the Sam & Max CD, and I found 4 tracks of CD music. Do I need to rip these and put them in my game folder, or is this just an easter egg for if you put the game in your CD Player?
clem

Post by clem »

PsychoGoatee wrote:Ok, I popped in the Sam & Max CD, and I found 4 tracks of CD music. Do I need to rip these and put them in my game folder, or is this just an easter egg for if you put the game in your CD Player?
Easter egg. There are a dozen posts about this on the forum already. Maybe someday that question will make its way into the FAQ.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

PsychoGoatee wrote:Oh man, I sort of figured it out right when you were posting it. So I get some points. :P
+1 points ;)
So, what's the deal, are mp3's discouraged? Should I get the WAV's?
MP3s are not discouraged at all, it's just that OGG and FLAC have a more open license ;)
I'm ripping it to Mp3's right now, just because 600mb seems a bit excessive for WAV audio. Of course, if the game runs better with WAVs, it would be worth it. So I just put these directly in the game folder?
No, the game doesn't run better with WAVs, it's just that WAVs are not compressed, whereas MP3s are compressed with lossy compression. Depends on if you want lossless audio (i.e. WAV or FLAC) or lossy (i.e. MP3 or OGG). And yes, you put them directly in the game folder, named track01.mp3 and so on
Another question. If I had the Monkey Island Madness CD in the drive while I played, would ScummVM read the music off of it without me having to rip it?
In theory yes, though we encourage users to copy all their files to their hard drive, to avoid slow CD reading times (and thus possible stuttering)
Also, a related question. Any other LucasArts adventure games like this? As in, I have to rip the CD Audio, aside from the actual data in the game folder?
Yes, the PC CD and FM-TOWNS versions of Loom
[edit:]

Ok, I popped in the Sam & Max CD, and I found 4 tracks of CD music. Do I need to rip these and put them in my game folder, or is this just an easter egg for if you put the game in your CD Player?
No, those tracks are not used by Sam & Max, they're extras
PsychoGoatee

Post by PsychoGoatee »

Thanks for the info, I've got Monkey Island 1 all set up and it's smooth sailing. 8)
crypto

Post by crypto »

PsychoGoatee wrote:Also, a related question. Any other LucasArts adventure games like this? As in, I have to rip the CD Audio, aside from the actual data in the game folder?

I'm just curious if I'm missing out on CD audio in any of the other LucasArts games.
Here's the list of all LucasArts games that contain CD-Audio tracks:

PC CD-ROM
- Loom
- The Secret of Monkey Island
- Sam & Max Hit the Road (Bonus tracks only)

FM-TOWNS
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Loom
- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

SEGA Mega-CD/SEGA CD

TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
- Loom
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

crypto wrote:Here's the list of all LucasArts games that contain CD-Audio tracks:
Those are only the adventure games, though. Outlaws and Jedi Knight also use CD audio. Maybe there are even more.
siggie

Post by siggie »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
crypto wrote:Here's the list of all LucasArts games that contain CD-Audio tracks:
Those are only the adventure games, though. Outlaws and Jedi Knight also use CD audio. Maybe there are even more.
Read 'LucasArts games supported by ScummVM'.
crypto

Post by crypto »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Those are only the adventure games, though. Outlaws and Jedi Knight also use CD audio. Maybe there are even more.
Perhaps I should be more specific.
What I meant to say was LucasArts SCUMM games.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Those are only the adventure games, though. Outlaws and Jedi Knight also use CD audio. Maybe there are even more.
Why would someone bother to mention the non-SCUMM games when it's clearly a discussion about SCUMM games?
PsychoGoatee

Post by PsychoGoatee »

Freddo wrote: Why would someone bother to mention the non-SCUMM games when it's clearly a discussion about SCUMM games?
I'll allow it. :P
Krosten

Post by Krosten »

Hi everyone,

are the music files provided on this site

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

the same that were originally on the enhanced version of MI1?

I don't own the version with the CD-Audio, so can I use these trakcs instead with ScummVM?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Krosten wrote:Hi everyone,

are the music files provided on this site

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

the same that were originally on the enhanced version of MI1?

I don't own the version with the CD-Audio, so can I use these trakcs instead with ScummVM?
This question has been answered already. Searching helps :)
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3860