PSP crashing when trying to start ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Spork

PSP crashing when trying to start ScummVM

Post by Spork »

I'm fairly new to the PSP and custom firmware, so I don't really have that much experience with it.

I'm running 3.40 OE on it and I've followed the instructions in the wiki, and in this post http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... 7062c637e8

I've put the directories in X:/PSP/GAME150/ and the icon appears in the XMB, but when I try to start it, the screen goes black and the PSP shuts down.

I've tried both 0.8.2 and 0.9.1 as well as both alternatives named in the instructions.

All help would be appreciated...
Spork

Post by Spork »

Ok, I've discovered what the problem was...
I have a 8GB Memory Card and scummVM was the last thing I put on it, and as I understand it, 1.50 can't read over 4GB so that's why they crashed.

I removed everything from the memory card and put scummVM in there first, before anything else...and it worked fine.

No black screens or crashes...

That info might be common knowledge for most people, but I had to look around alot for it =P

It's just too bad that I have to clear the memory card everytime I'm going to add new games...
jak66

Post by jak66 »

Sorry my guide didn't help your problem, I didn't realise as I don't have a 8Gb memory stick, as you said the PSP cannot read over 4Gb on lower firmware (why it was made that way is a mystery), the only thing I can think of to avoiding clearing your memory stick every time you want to add new games is to manually write them to the ini file (may not work anyway), or change the timestamps so that anything you want to run on 1.50 kernal has an earlier timestamp than everything you want to run on 3.40 kernal.

Also, untested by me (had no reason to), ScummVM may run from GAME340 folder, in which case the 4Gb limit should be lifted. If you wish to try;
1)Only 1.00 eboot will work (K-xploited, aka 1.50 eboot, won't work on 3.40 kernal)
2)The chances of this working are slim as last time I tried ScummVM on HEN (Homebrew ENabler, the SE and OE firmwares all run using this) it didn't work, but saying that Dark_AleX has changed the HEN core since I last tried.
Craigus

Post by Craigus »

I'm having this same problem, but i only have a 2GB card. MY system software is 3.52 M33-4. I start scumm and the screen goes black and then the psp shuts down. I have it installed to the 1.50 folder.