Compiling ScummVM - OS X.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobablob

Compiling ScummVM - OS X.

Post by bobablob »

Hey all!

It's been a few years since I compiled ScummVM from source on my Powerbook and it seems that a harddrive wipe or two has set me back a bit.

My compiles run fine until they hit libmpeg2. I can't seem to find a way to install this via Fink. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Jimbob

Re: Compiling ScummVM - OS X.

Post by Jimbob »

bobablob wrote: My compiles run fine until they hit libmpeg2. I can't seem to find a way to install this via Fink. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Strange, I have it set-up fine on my iBook using Fink. Are you trying to install the correct library? I know there are a few MPEG-2 things listed on Fink, on my 10.3 system it's called mpeg2dec, mpeg2dec-dev and mpeg2dec-shlibs.

HTH
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Hey, Jimbob.

Unfortunately, it seems the packages you have listed have not migrated to 10.4 under Fink. Any other ideas? Thanks.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

It definitely *is* in Fink, just not in the stabel tree. See also http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/mpeg2dec.

I am doing all my ScummVM development exclusively with the help of Fink packages, BTW (not a big surprise, since I work on Fink, too ;-).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Just a quick note: It works fine using DarwinPorts too 8).
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

Thanks for the quick responses, I managed to get a working compile up and running. :P

Just want to add that I really appreciate what you guys have done here. You really have brought an immeasurable amount of joy into my life. Thanks for helping me revisit my childhood!
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

hi guys
i'm trying to compile scummvm from svn (on intel, os x 10.4.10), but ./configure isn't finding ogg, flac, mad or libmpeg2.

i have all these installed via macports (previously known as darwinports), and i've tried using

Code: Select all

--with-ogg-prefix=/opt/local/lib
etc, but it still won't find them.

am i likely to have more luck if i install them via fink? any other suggestions?
cheers 8)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Hi,
unless I am mistaken you should use /opt/local as prefix (and not /opt/local/lib).

Personally I have compiled all these libraries manually and installed them in /usr/local (which is the default for configure and therefore I have never had to specify the prefix).
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

criezy wrote:Hi,
unless I am mistaken you should use /opt/local as prefix (and not /opt/local/lib).
that's nailed it - thanks a lot! :D
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i successfully got my .app built on monday, but i've decided to add a note here for anyone who comes this way in the future trying to compile for os x.

from the readme:
To get a version you can run from Finder, type 'make bundle' which will create ScummVM.app (this only works out of the box if you installed SDL into /sw (as happens if you are using Fink). If you have installed SDL in another way, you will have to edit the Makefile).
my sdl (as with the other libraries i mentioned earlier) was installed in /opt/local, so i was expecting to have to do this. however i couldn't find any reference to /sw in the makefile. the wiki page linked from the readme said to look for a line:
OSXOPT=/sw
but i couldn't see that anywhere. i tried adding it (with the correct path), but it didn't help, when i tried to 'make bundle' i still got an error message that sdl couldn't be found in /sw

at this point i gave up trying to fix it properly, and decided to fool it into working instead. so i set up a symbolic link so that /sw pointed to the right place. for me this was
sudo ln -s /opt/local /sw
having done this, the compile succeeded, and i was left with a working app in the scummvm source directory. to start with i thought that it didn't have an icon set up properly, but in fact it did tho it didn't display until i restarted finder.

i'd be glad to hear the correct way to fix the path problem with /sw, but if not i hope this will help somebody :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The OSXOPT variable is set in ports.mk. This was documented wrong (well, outdated) in the wiki, I just fixed it there.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

oh yeah, thanks :)

edit: maybe it should be changed in the README too (in the bit i quoted above)?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Done.