trouble with HOF

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

Any guesses how to fix this?
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

Well... With the last symbian build hof works. But it starts only if I press close application on my 6120. And to start game I must press it too. I think that the trouble is in video files. By the way in some of screens game turnes inth the slideshow(like room with hand and water wheel or room which leads to the center of the earth).

And without savegames gameplay is very difficult due to long time of gaming. Battery of my phone became empty after fifth level
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

0AzK0 wrote:Well... With the last symbian build hof works. But it starts only if I press close application on my 6120. And to start game I must press it too. I think that the trouble is in video files. By the way in some of screens game turnes inth the slideshow(like room with hand and water wheel or room which leads to the center of the earth).
HoF is be quite resource demanding, because of the background animations etc. Maybe I can speed that up though, there's nothing I'll promise though.
And without savegames gameplay is very difficult due to long time of gaming. Battery of my phone became empty after fifth level
Savegames should be supported since some time now in the development builds.
pi

Post by pi »

I have to add that I had this exact same error with a fresh svn build (r31584) on Sunday, on MacOSX (Intel). The 'index.k2.cd' error disappeared only after I downloaded the kyra.dat yet again, although I'm sure I did have rev24 already. Did you change the file in between without ++ing the revision?

Interestingly enough, while I did some digging into the code trying to figure out the error and commented out parts of StaticRessource::getFile{,name}(), at one time it presented me with a "Kyra.dat is Rev 17, not 24" error - which I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Dunno what went wrong there. Probably the error checking has to be redone.
But as I said, the problem was solved after I redownloaded kyra.dat yet again.

Btw it's real fun to play Kyra2 again after all those years. Never finished it, so I'm glad I'll be able to do that now! Good work! :)

PS I know I should've reported this as a bug but I couldn't reproduce the error or the steps I took, so no chance of writing a decent one.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

pi wrote:I have to add that I had this exact same error with a fresh svn build (r31584) on Sunday, on MacOSX (Intel). The 'index.k2.cd' error disappeared only after I downloaded the kyra.dat yet again, although I'm sure I did have rev24 already. Did you change the file in between without ++ing the revision?
Well if no index.k2.cd is found, your kyra.dat is definitly too old (could be the message doesn't say that currently though). The version for HoF CD itself is saved inside "index.k2.cd", so it can only check the version of your kyra.dat entries if you got that file. Changing StaticResource::getFilename is bad, since it automatically adds all special flags as extensions ".K2" for HoF, ".CD"/".DEM"/".TNS"/".AMG" then depending on the platform. So you probably removed that ".K2" addition, and it gave you the "INDEX.CD" which is used by Kyra1 for example. That you got Version 17 instead of 24 then shows that your kyra.dat was definitly outdated.
0AzK0

Post by 0AzK0 »

I`ve had this problem. To play Kyrandia you must download the svn version of the kyra.dat. Link is one page ago :D
pi

Post by pi »

Yeah that's what I did as well to solve it. My point is, the Error message should probably reflect that.
ryosaebaxyz

Post by ryosaebaxyz »

Is it already possible to compress the speech?
clem

Post by clem »

ryosaebaxyz wrote:Is it already possible to compress the speech?
It should be possible, haven't tested it myself though
ryosaebaxyz

Post by ryosaebaxyz »

Nope. I tried it. It just recognizes the Speech files from Kyrandia 1.

The data files of Hof are *.tlk files.
(Malcolms Revenge uses *.tlk for speech and *.aud for music)

Compress_kyra doesn´t do anything with it.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

ryosaebaxyz wrote: The data files of Hof are *.tlk files.
(Malcolms Revenge uses *.tlk for speech and *.aud for music)

Compress_kyra doesn´t do anything with it.
Not quite correct, HoF .tlk file forame is exactly the same as Kyra1 .vrm files, so it should work fine. Kyra3 tlk fromat is a completly different though, it's a container file for AUD files and thus it's allready compressed.

EDIT: Just tried it out myself, compressing kyra2 tlk files works fine with compress_kyra.
ryosaebaxyz

Post by ryosaebaxyz »

Hand of Fate worked.

(sigh) I knew you shouldn´t rely on GUI data if you could do it yourself :oops: