MI2: TiMidity++ and sounds.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BadLoser

MI2: TiMidity++ and sounds.

Post by BadLoser »

Hi.

I followed a guide here on the forum to install and use TiMidity++, it worked and the midi sounds alot better as expected.

But I can't seem to get both midi and all ingame sounds at the same time. And yes, I have ticked the "Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode" option.

With midi music and mixed mode I have some of the sounds, but miss i.e the "splat" when selecting difficulty, but also important sounds like blowing the horn on Booty Island and hearing the cannon fire. With adlib music enabled every sound seems to work.

So is there any way to have both improved music and all sounds?

A bit info in case someone wonders:
Audigy2 ZS soundcard
Windows XP
ScummVM 0.11.1
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: MI2: TiMidity++ and sounds.

Post by eriktorbjorn »

BadLoser wrote: With midi music and mixed mode I have some of the sounds, but miss i.e the "splat" when selecting difficulty, but also important sounds like blowing the horn on Booty Island and hearing the cannon fire. With adlib music enabled every sound seems to work.
If I use MIDI music, I do get both the "splat" sound and the horn, but they're hard to make out. I guess that means there are MIDI versions of both these sounds. I think "multi-MIDI mode" means that ScummVM plays the Adlib sound when there is no MIDI sound available, so that's why it makes no difference.

As far as I know, the Monkey Island 2 MIDI music is written for the Roland MT-32. Maybe the sound effects work better on one of those, but I have no way of testing that.

I almost always use Adlib for Monkey Island 2 anyway. :)
theli

Post by theli »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I almost always use Adlib for Monkey Island 2 anyway. :)
btw (slightly offtopic)
when i looked into adlib emulation source i saw that it doesn't support panning effects and is mono.
why is that so?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

theli wrote: btw (slightly offtopic)
when i looked into adlib emulation source i saw that it doesn't support panning effects and is mono.
why is that so?
Did the original games support that? I know that Jeffrey Lee's article, Basic Adlib Programming, mentions the Sound Blaster Pro being capable of stereo, but...
theli

Post by theli »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Did the original games support that? I know that Jeffrey Lee's article, Basic Adlib Programming, mentions the Sound Blaster Pro being capable of stereo, but...
isn't adlib emulation code used for imitating GM device? (when game doesn't have adlib-specific music but just general midi?)
(anyway i'm going to figure if some of the games use panning when i get home)
theli

Post by theli »

well.... that's strange but i tested several games i have (i just added warning output when panning requested) and none had single panning effect :shock:
(though i only started games and played for minute-two)

so i think that's not a big deal then :?