General Adventure game question.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

player1real

General Adventure game question.

Post by player1real »

Firstly, thank you for the software. It is appreciated ! I'm an old timer and enjoy playing adventure games. I've recently finished the Broken Sword series and at the moment I'm playing BASS. My question is simple. I'm looking for some other quality games to play, old and new. Can someone either link to threads here or just recommend their particular favourites. Many thanks once again.. :wink:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

my favourites hasalways been the LucasArts games.

have you checked out the compatibility chart?
http://scummvm.org/compatibility.php
player1real

Post by player1real »

Thank you,yes I looked at that but I'm really looking for advice on what members really like and I'm not just referring to games that play under any particular format or OS. I have a PS1,a modded Xbox and of course a high end PC. I'm just looking for games like BS really. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box so I'm interested in games that are phun rather than taxing.. Thanks again !
Last edited by player1real on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

well, if I had to pick one I would have to say Grim Fandango.
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

if you're looking for fun, the good ol' lucas arts adventures are your choice.

to be up-to-date, right now i'm playing "So Blonde", a really nice and funny german adventure. the bad thing is, i'm not sure but i don't think that its available in english yet :?

http://www.soblonde.de/ (on the right side's a button to switch language)

besides i'm playing "Overclocked", a german adventure too. kind of a psycho-thriller/horror/whatever. you're a psychologist and have to find out what happened to 4 totally distracted teenagers...
coolest thing about the game is, the story line processes backwards and from time to time you see things from the teenagers perspective. pretty cool :shock:

englisch release: March 31, 2008

http://www.overclocked-game.de/
player1real

Post by player1real »

Thanks for the recommendations ! I've got Grim but from memory I think had trouble getting it working many years ago. I'll try again with Scummvm. I've just finished BASS. I enjoyed the game but it did seem to be a little short. Going to start playing Runaway a Road Adventure now. So many games so little time huh ! For the record I really enjoyed Full Throttle. Well worth a look if its new to anyone.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

ScummVM doesn't support Grim Fandango. Yet.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Depite what Jonatan hinted at, ScummVM will *never* support Grim Fandango. It is out of scope.

We do have a subproject, Residual, which aims to support Grim Fandango (and *maybe* one Day MI4), but it's far from being mature, and almost nobody really works on it these days. So I wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

well, I actually meant Residual. too bad no ones working on it though:) not enough GSoC students?
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

Who could resist a chance to boast their favorite adventure games!

Lucas arts definitely has some of the best, my 2 favorite ones are:
Sam & Max - terribly funny (if your into that style of humor) and satisfying puzzles. I can't say much for the difficulty at this point since I have almost the whole game memorized, but I don't think it's extremely difficult.

The Dig - super awesome, feels like you're playing a movie (also it's based on an idea from Spielberg). A bit harder than samnmax, but a great gaming experience.
Last edited by johnzo on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

One of the games that have impressed me the most, though it's not necessarily the most fun to play - in fact, parts of it can be downright tedious - is The Last Express. One of its developers is still mirroring the game's web page, so the demo should still be available from there.

It uses a style of limited animation that can take a while to get used to, but the attention to detail is pretty amazing. Unfortunately, it was apparently a commercial failure.
Mirko

Post by Mirko »

The new Episodic Sam and Max games are also really good. They are not that difficult (most people say they are actually too easy, but they got more difficult later in the series) and are not that long but a whole season is about the same length as a full game (and costs around the same, too). Season 1 was realesed last year an the last Episode of Season 2 will be released in april. And if they keep going the first Season 3 Episode will be realeased in October or November.

The Games are in 3d but play a lot like old 2d adventure games. But the Gameplay is a bit simpler, because combinations of inventory Items are not possible (or not necessary) yet. Also Season one got a bit repetitive (in the general structure of the episodes and many reused locations (the office, the street, Sybil's and Bosco's are in each episode of season one plus 3 or four areas unique to each game), but that changed a bit with season 2.

There are Demos for every Episode and one Episode (Season 1 Episode 4 "Abe Lincoln must Die": http://telltalegames.com/samandmax/lincolnmustdie) is available for free, but i think it has a few spoilers and it might be easier to understand if you play the episodes in the right order. Perhaps you should try the Demo of the first episode first.