Lost saved games in Monkey Island 1

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mickis

Lost saved games in Monkey Island 1

Post by Mickis »

I played for hours yesterday and saved the game several times but when I started scummvm today it doesn´t start??? It seems to be lost?? :cry:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Lost saved games in Monkey Island 1

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mickis wrote:I played for hours yesterday and saved the game several times but when I started scummvm today it doesn´t start??? It seems to be lost?? :cry:
Do you mean the game itself doesn't start, or that you can't find the savegames from the Load dialog? (You don't mention which version of ScummVM you're using, or what operating system you're running it on either.)
Mickis

Post by Mickis »

First thing first, version 0.9.1(oct 2006).
I opened scummvm and tried to start the game(SoMI) but then scummvm shut down. Then I tried to change the path to the game and start it and then it worked but had lost all my previuos games :cry:
Last edited by Mickis on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mickis wrote:First thing first, version 0.9.1(oct 2006).
I opened scummvm and tried to start the game(SoMI) but then scummvm shut down. Then I tried to change the path to the game and star it and it worked but had lost all my previuos games :cry:
First of all, 0.9.1 is pretty old. The latest version is 0.11.1, which was released about a month ago.

I don't know why ScummVM would shut down like you describe. When you say you changed the path, do you mean you added the game to ScummVM once again?

Technical note: When adding a game to ScummVM, it receives an identifier based on which game it is. If you add several instances of the game game, ScummVM will generate unique identifiers for them. I don't remember the exact method, and I can't test at the moment, but if the first instance of the game gets the identifier "monkey1", the next ones may get "monkey1-1", "monkey1-2", etc. Many game engines in ScummVM use this identifier when generating file names for saved games. In that case, each instance will only see its own savegames, and none of the others.

If this is what has happened to you, the simplest way to get the original identifier would be to remove all instances of The Secret of Monkey Island from the ScummVM launcher, and then add the game again.
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

perhaps the scummvm.ini file is/was broken??

does the save game path set in options exactly point to the savegamefiles you created?
Mickis

Post by Mickis »

When I said changed the path, I picked "Edit game" and changed the game path.

If I don´t choose any specific folder when I install, where does the save-game end up usually?
I have five files in the Scummvm-folder : monkey1.s00, monkey1.s01, monkey1.s03, monkey1.s04 and monkey1.s05. What are those? Aren´t they saved games?
Cyphox wrote:perhaps the scummvm.ini file is/was broken??

does the save game path set in options exactly point to the savegamefiles you created?
I don´t know cause I changed it and I don´t know where it pointed to before :?

Thx for helping U ALL :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mickis wrote: I have five files in the Scummvm-folder : monkey1.s00, monkey1.s01, monkey1.s03, monkey1.s04 and monkey1.s05. What are those? Aren´t they saved games?
They should be. It's up to you whether or not you want to keep them there. Just make sure the Save Path setting points to the folder where they are.

I'm not sure where ScummVM stores save games by default. I think it might depend on which operating system you use.
Mickis

Post by Mickis »

eriktorbjorn wrote:They should be. It's up to you whether or not you want to keep them there. Just make sure the Save Path setting points to the folder where they are.

I'm not sure where ScummVM stores save games by default. I think it might depend on which operating system you use.
I tried to point to the same folder as those files but it still didn´t work :cry:
I guess I have to play i all over again :?

Thx for the help though :D