iPhone/iPod Touch Games Compatibility List

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

leocg

Post by leocg »

Just finished The Dig using the 0.11.0pre with iPod Touch 1.1.1. Worked perfectly! A tip that may be useful: if you used some apps before using ScummVM, the iPod/iPhone firmware may kill ScummVM to save memory. To fix it, just restart your iPod/iPhone and open ScummVM again. Now you can play without crashes. To finish The Dig, you must enable the Mouse-click-and-drag to solve some puzzles.
bc

Curse Of Monkey Island

Post by bc »

I started to play Curse of Monkey Island on my iPod touch, and noticed that it seems to have delays when characters speak.

It seems to be when one character has more than one line of speech in a row... there will be a few seconds pause before they say their next line.

Has anyone else noticed this?

For example, try to 'examine' the 'pirate literature' near the start of the game. Guybrush will say the chapter number, then pause for a while before he continues.
GekkePrutser

Tried Police Quest 1 (DOS version)

Post by GekkePrutser »

It seems to work fine! Found out how to bring up the keyboard now.

You guys did a great job on it! I didn't even know that the old sierra games were supported at all. I don't think this game will be really easy to play due to the 'driving' involved with the arrow keys but it runs perfectly in any case.
seliv

Goblins 3 - completed

Post by seliv »

I can confirm that Goblins 3 [Goblins Quest 3 (DOS/English (GB))] is fully completeable under ScummVM 0.11.0 (Jan 13 2008) for iPhone.

The greatest problem was at the final screen (where angel's and demon's melodies should be joined): for some reason the VM thought that Were-Blount is not a main character and didn't allow to browse inventory ("CHUMP has no hands" message was shown instead). Once I managed to fix it through saving-loading, and the other time by right-clicking (i.e. holding one finger and tapping the screen with another) many times.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Running ScummVM iPhone/iPod Touch port (0.11.1)

Report: "The Dig"

I don't really know what version of the game i tested, but it worked great!

I have just completed the whole game with absolutely no problems/errors.

I would like to say some more about the game, though it's not really relevant in this thread:

*Several hours (days for me) of entertainment!
*I had to use a walkthrough a couple of times, because some things were VERY hard to figure out.

(I laughed so hard during the end cutscene (SPOILER!) when Maggie slapped me because i revived her when she died.)

Old games for the win!
HeyItsThatGuy

Post by HeyItsThatGuy »

I don't really know what version of the game i tested, but it worked great!
How can you not know which version it was?
Pope

Post by Pope »

How can you not know which version it was?
By "version" i mean dos/fmtowns/cd and so.. Look, I'm new at this and I don't even know what to look for. I completed the game with no problems, and that's it..
clem

Post by clem »

Pope wrote:By "version" i mean dos/fmtowns/cd and so.. Look, I'm new at this and I don't even know what to look for. I completed the game with no problems, and that's it..
It usually says which version the game is on the box or on the CD. If it says you need MS-DOS to play it you probably have the DOS version, etc.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Ok.. Not DOS, then..

Full Throttle completed btw.
Compressed files doesn't work. The game will crash some places.
Uncompressed files works perfectly though. Great sound too..
Great game!

"Console": iPod Touch (1.1.2)
Game version: Version B/English ?
luke-nz

Beneath A Steel Sky speech volume

Post by luke-nz »

Unable to alter BASS speech volume by any method. Have tried changing all global volume options to very low (~10 each), also edited BASS settings to have volume options very low. Speech in BASS is unaffected, though music and SFX do respond correctly.

1.1.4 iPhone jailbroken (etc) with ZiPhone 3.0
ScummVM for iPhone 0.11.1 dated 25/2/08 22:45
BASS 'Freeware CD' version as downloaded from scummVM.org
iamtom

Post by iamtom »

Can confirm that Broken Sword 1 is completeable using 0.11.1 on the iPhone (firmware 1.1.4).

I used the DXA videos, which work smoothly, although it's playable with MPEG2 (if a touch jumpy).

The only issue is that some of the pixel-hunting puzzles are really very hard with fingers...[/b]
AndreasvanHaren

Post by AndreasvanHaren »

Could Alone in the Dark 1 be on this list as well?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

AndreasvanHaren wrote:Could Alone in the Dark 1 be on this list as well?
- It's not a game supported by ScummVM
- It's not a point'n'click adventure game
- Adding a new game means rewriting its engine from scratch, a long and tedious task

So no

Please read the FAQ before asking questions like this :(
AndreasvanHaren

Post by AndreasvanHaren »

md5 wrote:
AndreasvanHaren wrote:Could Alone in the Dark 1 be on this list as well?
- It's not a game supported by ScummVM
- It's not a point'n'click adventure game
- Adding a new game means rewriting its engine from scratch, a long and tedious task

So no

Please read the FAQ before asking questions like this :(
Well sorry for asking MD5. I thought Scummvm was about getting the old classics up and running again. I'm not a programmer, just an enthusiastic player of the past. This Dosgame (that is a pain to get it running on any windows system) works without problem with sound and music on the Mac with the help of Boxer, so I thought another platform would be also possible.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

AndreasvanHaren wrote:I thought Scummvm was about getting the old classics up and running again.
ScummVM is about getting certain adventures up and running again. Big difference.
AndreasvanHaren wrote:This Dosgame (that is a pain to get it running on any windows system) works without problem with sound and music on the Mac with the help of Boxer, so I thought another platform would be also possible.
Boxer (and Dosbox, on which it's based), works completey different than ScummVM.

Dosbox emulates a full PC running DOS. This means nearly any DOS game can run on it. The disadvantage is that it's very CPU hungry (you need current CPUs to emulate systems from over a decade ago). This of course mean it would never even dream about running on low-power systems like the iPhone.

ScummVM on the other hand, is a collection of engine reimplementations (basically, the EXE of the game has to be completely rewritten from scratch, by looking at it's disassembly). As md5 already said, this is a tedious and long process (we're talking about months, or more, depending on complexity of the engine, skill and spare time of the one doing the work). The advantage of that is that it's far less needy in CPU power and you can even fix bugs present in the original game.