Lets start a pettion...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pinkfloyd789

Lets start a pettion...

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

...to get Lucasarts Scumm games on Steam. How do we do it?
clem

Post by clem »

1) Buy LucasArts. Tell them to put stuff online.
2) Get a DNA sample of a high-ranking LucasArts official. Clone him/her. Kidnap original and replace with clone. Clone puts stuff on steam.
pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

:lol: :lol:
Oh, man I wanted to buy my Scumm games for cheap :lol: :lol: ..... :cry:
CRIKEY

Post by CRIKEY »

i bought near the whole library of lucasarts scumm engine games for $40 in a clearance sale (everything post SOMI) if they were to come on steam (near no chance) i would be shocked to see them for less then $10 each
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

id software sells their classics (doom series, commander keen series, wolfenstein 3d, heretic and so on) over steam.

the big question is:

is lucas arts as "generous" as id is? :?:

i can't explain why, but i don't think so...
pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

True, and I bought the id pack.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Sorry but petitions are a pathetic waste of time.

Whilst it would certainly be good to have a legitimate outlet for the games I can't really get excited about Lucasarts making money off the back of an excellent project such as ScummVM! It'd be like id who make money from old titles that simply wouldn't run without DOSBox which they 'glossed over' somewhat :roll:

If Lucasarts had supported ScummVM (finance, specs, games, actively encouraged the team to do what they've achieved, etc.) then I'd feel vastly different! As it is you'd simply be adding to the 'Star Wars game development fund' so I'd go looking on eBay/similar - after all, most are pretty easy to obtain.

I do somehow suspect you may be a bit of a Steam advocate who'd prefer to buy all games via its digital delivery system. However, I see no reason why Steam should be used in preference to any other service. Let's be honest, an online shop followed by a download link is just as effective for the end user. I'll wager that I'm likely to attract a response of "being able to re-download said titles anywhere any time [with Steam]" with that statement! I like the total package so digital delivery doesn't float my boat but can understand people want different things!
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

Reckless wrote:I do somehow suspect you may be a bit of a Steam advocate who'd prefer to buy all games via its digital delivery system. However, I see no reason why Steam should be used in preference to any other service. Let's be honest, an online shop followed by a download link is just as effective for the end user. I'll wager that I'm likely to attract a response of "being able to re-download said titles anywhere any time [with Steam]" with that statement! I like the total package so digital delivery doesn't float my boat but can understand people want different things!
I'm not a huge Steam fan, but it's a system that works. I think the point here, then, is to point to such a system and say "see? why don't they do this?" All the LucasArts adventure games would be great material for digital distribution, and it'd be so easy* for LA to implement that it's just sad that they haven't. Steam, specifically, isn't really the issue.

*Easier than packaging and distributing them for stores, anyway. There may be various other issues to deal with that make it complicated, but still.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

The problem you might get is exactly the one with id and Steam - yes, DosBox was bundled with it, but it was a patched version of DosBox which had the Steam loader attached to it.

The only way I could possibly see LucasArts allowing Steam - or something like it - is by building a custom build of ScummVM with the Steam library (or equivalent) embedded in it, which puts it in a very dubious position, because unless the Steam library code is released, they can't just wrap ScummVM up and provide it. The GPL requires the modified source to be released - which would include Steam's code.

Besides, Amazon and HMV are carrying some of the titles right now, so "obviously" that's enough for 15+ year old games. :roll:

Me, I'd love to see the full Lucas back-catalogue available somewhere.
CRIKEY

Post by CRIKEY »

correct me if im wrong but dosbox is licensed under the gpl as well right?
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Yep, DosBox is GPL licensed - and when the news broke that id had bundled up Steam with DosBox, and not released the source, there was a frenzy of activity and mudslinging-about-to-happen on the DosBox (VOGONS) forums.

Several posts and emails were sent to id, and a few days later the DosBox source turned up on Steam, although whether that includes the modifications that linked Steam to DosBox, I don't know.

As I say, if LucasArts were to use Steam, they'd either have to re-engineer their applications (the Windows versions of the later games shouldn't be too much of a problem though), or use ScummVM. Doing so not only raises the issue mentioned, but also would suggest that they've backed down - they have previously tried to shut ScummVM down.

It's a tricky one, but in all honesty I can't see them doing anything about it; they're too busy making Star Wars and Indy games, with or without Lego...
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

Reckless wrote:Sorry but petitions are a pathetic waste of time.
yes, but are pettions a waste of time?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

lol