No music in Monkey 1 on Vista

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

xanthalanari

No music in Monkey 1 on Vista

Post by xanthalanari »

I'm sure you're all completely sick of this question by now, but can anyone help me get the music to work in The Secret of Monkey Island?

I'm running it in Vista, using ScummVM vers. 0.11.1. The version of the game I have is the double CD with both 1 and 2 on it, from The White Label/LucasArts.

I've tried changing the settings within the game options in ScummVM, but that has no effect. I have the other sounds (doors opening etc) just no music. Somewhere on here I read that one fix is to copy the sound files into the game directory, but I don't appear to have any separate sound files (there are only about 5 files in the folder for each game). Also, I don't know how to tell if I've got the version where I need to download the tracks as mp3s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind running it without the music, but it's much less fun without it! :)
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

did it work before? under winxp for example??

do you have a green (floppy) or a purple (from mi2) user interface?

if it's purple, it's the enhanced audio version and you have to rip the tracks from cd to mp3/ogg/flac
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I bet you haven't ripped the music tracks to .mp3/.ogg/.flac
and copied them to your games drawer?

Otherwise there won't be music at all...
xanthalanari

Post by xanthalanari »

Cyphox wrote:did it work before? under winxp for example??

do you have a green (floppy) or a purple (from mi2) user interface?

if it's purple, it's the enhanced audio version and you have to rip the tracks from cd to mp3/ogg/flac
You mean the screen that pops up when you put it in the drive? That's purple.

I've never tried it using ScummVM before, but I know there's music on the CD somewhere because I managed to run the beginning under 2K and it played then. It just wouldn't play the rest of the game.
I bet you haven't ripped the music tracks to .mp3/.ogg/.flac
and copied them to your games drawer?

Otherwise there won't be music at all...
I'm showing my ignorance now, but I have no idea where or what .mp3/.ogg/.flac is. :oops:
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

If you got the CD version of Monkey Island 1
(and i'm pretty sure it is) you can put it
in a normal cd player and listen to the tracks
from the game.

ScummVM though needs a special format for these
tracks to be played

The tracks need to be ripped to HD in a format
ScummVM can understand mp3 is the most well-known
of these formats (ogg and flac feature better
quality but we leave them as now)

You need to get LAME to rip the audio tracks from
your game cd to the place where you put the rest
of MI1's files, to let ScummVM play ingame music.

Feel free to ask ...
clem

Post by clem »

Raziel wrote: You need to get LAME to rip the audio tracks from
your game cd to the place where you put the rest
of MI1's files, to let ScummVM play ingame music.
I thought lame only encodes audio already on the harddisk and does not rip the audio straight from CD?

I always used CDex to rip the audio to harddisk.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@clem

Well if you got a filesystem that displays
the audio tracks you can give the names to
LAME via shell command ... but you're right,
maybe it won't work on VISTA
clem

Post by clem »

Raziel wrote:but you're right,
maybe it won't work on VISTA
or XP, or 98 :)

I really wish Microsoft had a feature request tracker or bug tracker :)
xanthalanari

Post by xanthalanari »

Very little works on Vista in my (admittedly limited)experience. It's a retarded animal baby of an operating system!

I downloaded LAME at work, and saved it to transfer across to my home PC, but it wouldn't recognise what it opened with. I don't know if that answers the question about whether it runs on later systems (I know the work PC has one, can't remember which though).

I managed to rip them to mp3 in Vista's Media Player. I copied them to the Monkey 1 folder, but there's still no music. Do I need to rename them something special? Or point ScummVM at them somehow?
clem

Post by clem »

xanthalanari wrote: I managed to rip them to mp3 in Vista's Media Player. I copied them to the Monkey 1 folder, but there's still no music. Do I need to rename them something special? Or point ScummVM at them somehow?
yes, README section 7.8:
Use LAME or some other MP3 encoder to rip the cd audio tracks to files. Name the files track1.mp3 track2.mp3 etc.
edit: the files can either be in the same folder as the datafiles (as you mentioned) or in an additional folder which you can point ScummVM to using the "extra path" setting.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

xanthalanari wrote:Very little works on Vista in my (admittedly limited)experience. It's a retarded animal baby of an operating system!
I have to disagree on that, most of the problems that Vista had have been fixed now, and all new software runs fine under it. I wouldn't call it "retarded", it's a much newer and in my opinion better OS than its predecessors (talking about Microsoft products here).
xanthalanari wrote:I downloaded LAME at work, and saved it to transfer across to my home PC, but it wouldn't recognise what it opened with.
I'm not sure I understand your problem here. Did you try and run LAME directly? It's a console program, i.e. you won't see any window when you run it, and you have to specify command line parameters to run it correctly
xanthalanari wrote:I managed to rip them to mp3 in Vista's Media Player.
That will work, yes, but as clem said, the music tracks need to follow a certain naming format
xanthalanari

Post by xanthalanari »

I'm not sure I understand your problem here. Did you try and run LAME directly?
No, because I didn't know I had to. The machine I'm running ScummVM on isn't connected to the internet, so I saved it to transfer across. I got the mp3s in Media Player though.
clem wrote:yes, README section 7.8:
Use LAME or some other MP3 encoder to rip the cd audio tracks to files. Name the files track1.mp3 track2.mp3 etc.
Ah, thanks. I missed that bit.

It's all working now. Thanks everybody! :)