Added games keep dissappearing

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Klizine

Added games keep dissappearing

Post by Klizine »

I am on firmware 1.1.3 and was using an older build of scumm. This morning I updated to the newest build and once I add a game I can play it fine but once I quit and return the games aren't there. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Hmm that's odd. Sounds like ScummVM can't write to the config file.

Can you SSH to the phone/ipod and and do a:

ls -lad /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
ls -la /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences

and post the output?
Klizine

Post by Klizine »

Here is what I got:

/$ ls -lad /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Feb 24 00:24 /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
/$ ls -la /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 68 Feb 24 00:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Feb 24 00:24 ..
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I think that you are no longer logged in as root with the latest firmware, right?
Try doing:
chmod 777 /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
chmod 777 /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Preferences
Klizine

Post by Klizine »

a couple things. First I created the preferences file, so there is nothing in it. secondly, it didn't appear to be doing anything when I ran the commands. Thirdy, thanks for the quick response!

I tried after I ran the commands, but it still won't keep the games there... where is the ini?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Something weird is going on there :P. If ScummVM created that directory (and the Preferences file, which is the same as scummvm.ini on windows), then it should be owned by the "mobile" user and not by root. Did you run ScummVM as suid root the first time you ran 0.11.1, by any chance?

Do a:

chown mobile -R /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM

And for good measure, to make sure:
ls -lad /var/mobile/Library
ls -lad /var/mobile

and report the output, please :).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Ah, actually, did you create the "/var/mobile/Library/ScummVM" directory yourself via SSH? That could explain it. The 'chown' should still fix it, though.

I'll make a note about that in the migration guide (need to run ScummVM at least once before uploading any savegames over manually).
Klizine

Post by Klizine »

Vinterstum, yes I created the folders via ssh. (which I login with root, think that may be a problem?) I also created the preferences folder hoping it would create some sort of ini that I could edit to find the games.

I got :
/$ chown mobile -R /var/mobile/Library/ScummVM
/$ ls -lad /var/mobile/Library
drwx------ 20 mobile wheel 816 Mar 4 15:00 /var/mobile/Library
/$ ls -lad /var/mobile
drwxr-x--- 4 mobile wheel 170 Feb 18 10:27 /var/mobile

I just tried again and no dice. :(

What do you suggest? Delete all traces of scumm, then add the games and save data to the folders it creates?

and thanks a ton for this, for it really is odd.
Klizine

Post by Klizine »

As I said, per start up of scumm, I have to add the game. It plays for that session, but then it disappears. So I tried it, saved and it saves to var/mobile/Library/ScummVM/Savegames... I find that odd that it can find where to save the games to but not where the games actually are. Just more info...

And thanks again!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Klizine wrote:I also created the preferences folder hoping it would create some sort of ini that I could edit to find the games.
Ah, that would be the problem :). "Preferences" isn't actually a folder, it's a file. Just delete it (and do the chown command, if you haven't already), and ScummVM will create it on its own (it fails now since it already exists, but it can't write to it since it's a directory...)
Klizine

Post by Klizine »

That's it Vinterstum!!!! Thanks a million. That was it. I originally added it because I read somewhere that you needed it, and the games weren't staying. They are now. Thanks again.