Problem with The Dig

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Elurindel

Problem with The Dig

Post by Elurindel »

Ok, is my copy of the Dig falty, or is it just me? I've conslted text and speed walkthroughs in the Tomb Spire that say that after clicking on the alien statue, you are supposed to click on the front face of the platform to descend, but the only response I get is "This is a pretty elaborate setup for a burial crypt..." Am I just clicking the wrong place? Is the pixel really really small? Or is it just the game itself?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Problem with The Dig

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Elurindel wrote:Ok, is my copy of the Dig falty, or is it just me? I've conslted text and speed walkthroughs in the Tomb Spire that say that after clicking on the alien statue, you are supposed to click on the front face of the platform to descend, but the only response I get is "This is a pretty elaborate setup for a burial crypt..." Am I just clicking the wrong place? Is the pixel really really small? Or is it just the game itself?
I guess there must be some incomplete The Dig walkthroughs out there, because you're not the first to have problems with this puzzle. The problem is almost certainly that Boston doesn't know there's supposed to be anything beneath the crypt.

The Universal Hint System page for the game seems to have the solution to the puzzle, but it's been a long time since I played it myself.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Yeah, there's several things you have to do before you can descend even after the statue automagically appeared once you've done the light manipulation properly. It's probably because you haven't followed the walkthrough to the letter and the necessary requirement was an action the walkthrough suggested you do aeons ago, but you either didn't consult it before, or simply skimmed over the issue.

So... you might want to find Maggie and Brink and make sure you've talked to them about everything and anything, for starters, then return to see whether or not the thing will work now.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

you need to talk to Maggie first
Elurindel

Post by Elurindel »

Talking to maggie wasn't the issue. It seems I needed to go back to the map spire and look at check the engravings on all the rods into the map room. Thanks for the hints page, it'll be really useufl. I don't like using walkthroughs, because of the OMG U SPOILER IT value, but I was pretty stuck. The hints are better for the experience.
Thanks again.