Lucasarts posters

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

I have to mention that the FOA-poster was the only one I DIDN'T make... it was a scan that was provided on the Vintagegaming-forums. I did color correct it a bit, but I don't think I've matched the original poster exactly.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

Laserschwert wrote:I have to mention that the FOA-poster was the only one I DIDN'T make... it was a scan that was provided on the Vintagegaming-forums. I did color correct it a bit, but I don't think I've matched the original poster exactly.
Oh, well I've never seen the original poster and I sure think the colors look good.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

To those who got posters printed, did you choose glossy paper or not? I'm not sure which is better since it's going to be framed.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I'd say non-glossy for framing, you'll get the shine from the glass anyway.
My preference is acidfree rough paper.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I think im nearly finished, I hope to have the finished product uploaded at some point this week, I was just wondering should I keep the border? the greek islands map? anyone prefer that to just the stone tablet look?
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I think im finished.
http://rapidshare.com/files/94811374/Fa ... s.rar.html
Its the best I could do.
if anyone thinks they can make it look any better feel free.
Rob
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

that's really good sanguinehearts:)
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Thanks, I've just printed it myself, it looks a little dark but I think it will do.

Im going to try and put Toshi back onto the dig poster too
I'll let you know how it goes.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

Nice work sanguinehearts!
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Ive tried to improve the colour of the light rays, Its not perfect but Im a little happier with it now.
http://rapidshare.com/files/94909952/Fa ... 1.rar.html
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Very nice job! I took the liberty to color correct your version a bit more, taking the ad as a guide (and overlaying it to the poster to get similar colors). I guess the colors are now even a lot better than on the original scan:

http://rapidshare.com/files/94947055/Fa ... r.rar.html

A few bits of advice here:

- Watch your levels. Your black-value was somewhere in the grey area, which is why your image came out way too dark. (and it lets me assume that your monitor isn't calibrated and set too dark)

- Always denoise before you upscale. The light-rays portion you took from the ad was pretty noisy - or at least full of texture - which you have to get rid of first, otherwise you'll end up with huge splotches on that area, giving away the touch-up.

- Use soft edges for your touch-up patches. Yours are sharp, and show the difference between the original and the patch.

- Color correct each channel (R,G,B) separately (using the levels- or curves-correction). It's a lot easier matching a greyscale image to another one. When all three channels are matched as closely as possible, switch back to RGB and use color-balance and hue/saturation to fine tune.

Would it be okay if I'd post this color-corrected retouch of yours on the other forums I've posted my LA-posters? Giving credit to you of course...

Or maybe you're even considering fine tuning it yet another bit with the advice above? ;)

By the way, I think I'd try to put together a "clean" poster with just the stone-plate on it... but I'm still not sure about the background. If we could get a clean version of the exact same map I wouldn't think about it, since it looks best with the map...

EDIT
On the other hand, there's not much left to paint out, to make this work as a stand-alone poster (as we don't need all that space at the bottom):

(Click image for bigger version)
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Hey, looking good. I'd love to get a version without the bottom text, but it still looks damn good as-is.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Sure Laserschwert, post away :)
I could try and give it another go
I did try to run the light rays through neatimage but I kept losing too much detail.
maybe Im doing something wrong?
I've just looked at it again. Im not too pleased with it up close. maybe I can do a little more work on it.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Im really not sure if I can do anything better. that looks pretty amazing.

I could provide my touch up, without the light rays if anybody wants to give it a go at overlaying them and making them look better than I have.

Ive just noticed next to the left horn and on the outer arc near indy's hat there is a little remainder of the indiana jones logo.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

sanguinehearts wrote:I could provide my touch up, without the light rays if anybody wants to give it a go at overlaying them and making them look better than I have.
Yeah, put it up, I'd like to give it a go. Do you have an intact PSD with all your touch ups on layers? It might give me more control fiddling with it...