Monkey Island 1 (CD) More Problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

the_masked_man

Monkey Island 1 (CD) More Problems

Post by the_masked_man »

Its me again, i got the Cd sound ripping software (Cdex) and it wouldn't detect my CD drive and the help section for Cdex is useless. So i extracted the music files manually and I tried converting them but i can't find any suitable converting software that matchs the required specifications

Format: WAV
Compression: IMA ADPCM
Samplerate: 22050 Hz
Channels: Mono
On the fly encoding: On

Can someone tell me where i can find a good converter or a way round this problem.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

If you have CD tracks ripped with another program you can still use CDex just to convert the tracks to the correct format.
the_masked_man

Post by the_masked_man »

I know i just found out (no thanks to the help tab) sorry for the bother guys, and it works now :twisted:
the_masked_man

Post by the_masked_man »

I know i just found out (no thanks to the help tab) sorry for the bother guys, and it works now :twisted:
SigENeaT

Post by SigENeaT »

I didnt want to start a new thread for this, so i hope noone minds me tacking on my problem! ;)

Following the readme/faqs available was simple enough to get Sam & Max, Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 working on my DS using this fantastic port ;) but i have encountered an oddity in playing MI1...

I am using the CD version of MI1 and hence had to rip the music tracks off the CD and convert to wav.
No problems doing this; followed the guides and the music plays fine.. BUT... the wrong tracks play at certain times.

For example, the music for Stan's Shipyard is played from the start, right through the title sequence and up to the first chapter screen, where the music then changes to a the music from the Melee Island(TM) map screen

Looking at the debug menu and it appears to be loading track 17 at the title sequence and follows on to open track 6 at the chapter screen.
Fiddling with it a little myself it looks like the correct tracks it should be opening are 18 and 7 respectively (being the Monkey Island(TM) title music and Monkey Island(TM) act change screen) which suggests the tracks were named incorrectly (starting with #2 instead of #1 from the rip due to the first data track.) Easy to fix.

What has me a little thrown off though, is that when you start the game the console says it is looking for "track2.wav .. success" .. which leads me to beleive the game has initially been coded to start loading the track names in to memory starting with track2.wav, but when it loads them it loads them starting as track1.wav.... follow?

I'm not sure.. as it stands i can get it going so there is no problems, but it seems to be an issue with either the process that you are supposed to follow as per the FAQ on agentq's site or the port stuffing up a little bit...

...thoughts? =P
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yeah, you're entirely correct, I didn't take the data track into account when playing tracks given to me by the Scumm engine, so they're all one off.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
SigENeaT

Post by SigENeaT »

No inconvenience mate! ;D
Thats a much better result than "Oh crappolla!!! The entire ScummVM engine is stuffed!"

I have to go and make a mask out of tofu now; cyas.
mercuryrsng

Post by mercuryrsng »

I am converting from mp3 to wav in cdex, but I have 3 options. ..Normalize, encode...or normalize and encode. I just chose encode before, but the problem is the music plays through once in the game, and never reloops around again. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?