Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Masamune

Discworld

Post by Masamune »

If you want a MASSIVE Paypal donation and a friend for life, please pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease support the Discworld series of games! From what I remember, they work on a fairly similar principle to the LucasArts games (in particular Discworld II). So, I've got a large wodge of cash in my Paypal account waiting for the magic words "We now support the Discworld series of games".

Get cracking folks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Discworld

Post by eriktorbjorn »

That's one of those things that actually might happen. See http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Discworld

Though the way the word "shortly" has been used in that article over the past three months, it obviously doesn't mean what I always thought it meant.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

This is very cool 8) Hopefully the source arrive to the ScummVM team shortly.

Now I'm thinking way into the future, but it would be kinda neat if Discworld Noir was added into Residual. As they decided to let the ScummVM team use the Discworld 1&2 source (whenever it arrives) it's not too far-fetched that same would happen with Noir. And Noir is a buggy mess and do need a new executable ;P

But I understand Noir has more unresolved legal / copyright issues that are currently not investigated at this time. Still, one can dream 8)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Freddo wrote:it would be kinda neat if Discworld Noir was added into Residual.
Well, this is plainly not possible with current residual. Residual is all GrimE-centric (engine which GF is written for), so if it ever happen, that will be a separate subproject. Though I'm not sure there is anybody in ScummVM Team interested in doing that work.

Speaking of DW1/2, yes, chances that we will get sources are very high. And don't let that fact that we already had negotiations with Pratchett stop you from donating ;).

Eugene
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Ahhh now this I can look forward to :)

Be great to play Discworld again ;)
cpt. wesker

what's the situation, captain?

Post by cpt. wesker »

when did we started waiting for this? can somebody remind does guys that have the source, do they even work on it?

or can somebody place here what can any of us do to make the source code be acquired, who do we need to kill for this?
Mim

Re: what's the situation, captain?

Post by Mim »

cpt. wesker wrote:When did we started waiting for this?
Yes, it is like waiting for Godot...
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Hey, the people with the source code are busy real proper game developers... anything else aside. Patience is needed :)

I have no new update. Someone will be hopefully be prodding the person responsible in person over the xmas period. We'll see if that produces better results.
Mim

Post by Mim »

Ender wrote:Someone will be hopefully be prodding the person responsible in person over the xmas period.
Hopefully the responsible person will be in a giving mood. It would be a great xmas present. :)
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

hope so too, but don't think it will happen
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I don't think anyone stated which Christmas it would be nice for :twisted:
cpt. wesker

Post by cpt. wesker »

Did you get the number of that donkey cart?
John the adventurer

Post by John the adventurer »

Discworld is one of the best games I like :)

Why such long waiting? Are they cleaning the code of x86 ASM stuff, commenting et all for ScummVM Team having the task easier? It's a sure release and only a matter of time or really not completely sure about this being sucessful?

Terry Pratchett does very good books and I'm loving him more because being ScummVM-friendly instead others who tried to kill it...
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

John the adventurer wrote:Why such long waiting? Are they cleaning the code of x86 ASM stuff, commenting et all for ScummVM Team having the task easier? It's a sure release and only a matter of time or really not completely sure about this being sucessful?
Because these people are busy. That's it.

I very much doubt they're cleaning the code up. I've requested they just send it to us as-is to speed up the process.
John the adventurer

Post by John the adventurer »

Ender wrote:
Because these people are busy. That's it.

I very much doubt they're cleaning the code up. I've requested they just send it to us as-is to speed up the process.
Ok, thanks a lot for your reply ;)

About the forum, when replying your message, even replying your reply to my message, weird...