Lucasarts posters

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

@Laserschwert
A decent sized maniac mansion box scan, doesnt appear to have been posted before either

http://www.cttrc.com/images/gaming/man1.jpg
petr

Post by petr »

Maniac Mansion (box scan @ 600 dpi)
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Great stuff, thanks everybody!

I'M a little busy right now, so the posters will have to wait a bit for now.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

A little update (and a little bigger right HERE):

But there's some tinkering left until it's perfect.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Very nice work! I'm impressed of your skills and results.

Do you will consider to pack all those great TIFF/PNG very hi-res files into one big compressed file when you consider your big effort ready? Downloading files from rapidshare-like sites is PITA because need to wait one hour between files (of spend money on a premiun account) and having them separated could make long term finding a lot more difficult.

I can wait even years, specially because you aren't asking for money for this, even if deserves it because the impressive results. Take your time ;)

I know a guy in my country that does good quality canvas printings. What do you think of this printing method?

Are there scannings of those nice paintings about Lucas Arts games? Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max and maybe Grim Fandango too.

I did see a new algorythm that is able to resize images without losing quality, it "invents" zones of the image so it looks bigger but maintaining original aspect ratio of important objects. I would prefer the original version over the cropped ones, even if the results aren't 4:3 because I'm very obsessed with original aspect ratio in games, movies... So please provide the uncropped files if you can and want.

Thanks a lot for all! I'm amazed of what you done already, really.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

First of all, the German Adventure-Treff.net was nice enough to host all my posters right HERE, so no more Rapidshare-waiting for anybody ;)

I don't see the necessity to go uncompressed (or even compressed with TIF or PNG), since the resolution is so high, JPEG-compression hardly has a hit on the quality.

Regarding scannings of the paintings (and even the originals), I'm sure there are scans of the originals, but they're locked away in LucasArts' vault for the most part as far as I know. Steve Purcell has the front artwork he did for "Monkey Island 2" and the back-artwork he did for "Maniac Mansion" hanging in his house... and last year he sold his back-painting from MI2 on eBay. Other than that, I don't know about the whereabouts of any of the other artworks... so, LucasArts is my best guess here. But actually that IS what my efforts are all about: Since there's no way to acquire these wonderful artworks, someone has to use what HAS been published, and make the best out of it.

I've gotta admit, I've never had a poster printed on canvas, since it's not the cheapest thing to do... but I'd be VERY interested to see how it looks... especially with painted artworks like these.

I've seen some videos about that algorithm you're talking about. It's quite impressive, but right now nothing had been released that really uses its potential to the fullest. From what I've seen though, I'm not really sure if it can be used to upscale by such a strong degree as I am for the posters.

About cropping, yeah, sometimes I try to keep the original AR, but since these are supposed to be printed and put on the wall, I try to unify them as good as possible. It wouldn't look too great, if all posters had different ARs, don't you think? Sometimes I'm even cropping as a necessity, like with the Zak-artwork, because there was some stuff on the edges I was unable to paint out or reconstruct... so, cropping was the cheap trick to get rid of those areas.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

That looks great!
I like what you did with the Maniac Mansion logo
Im guessing it was because the 'Adventurer' logo took up so much of the original image?

Im very excited about seeing this :)
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Also I love what you did with the sky in the DOTT poster
somehow it just looks so much better than the box artwork.
the colours themselves look lovely too.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

also im trying to see if Jason Harang knows where the image of the maniac mansion poster pictured here came from
http://www.fortunecity.com/millenium/li ... rpics.html
naturally it might help if it can be rescanned or even photograped a little larger.
i'll let you know if I hear anything back.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

Laserschwert wrote:A little update (and a little bigger right HERE):

But there's some tinkering left until it's perfect.
Wow, that looks really amazing! Any chance there will be a logo less version when it's done? I think that would look really nice (the current logo looks good too)!
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Alright, the above poster can now be downloaded HERE at full resolution (60x80cm @ 200dpi).

Furthermore another version (with a bigger preview right HERE):

And at full res HERE (though this one is 60x90cm @ 200dpi).

Logoless enough?
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

So good!!!
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

That's really nice! Though I was thinking of one like the original which would have a lot of sky and stars instead of a logo (don't read this as a request, that's just what I was thinking off). But that second one is pretty damn cool!
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Like this?

I haven't painted in many starts, since I knew I would add a logo to that area.

HERE it is at full-res.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

Laserschwert wrote:Like this?

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/z4ay7o8 ... _small.jpg

I haven't painted in many starts, since I knew I would add a logo to that area.

HERE it is at full-res.
Yeah, exactly like that! Thanks a lot, you're really awesome!