LucasArts president resigns

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

LucasArts president resigns

Post by PsYcO »

linkto:

the link might become broken after a while, i think:-/

but this could meen LA might take a new direction, yippie! :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Errr....
Ward will be replaced on an interim basis by Howard Roffman, a 25-year veteran of the LucasFilm organization. Roffman has most recently been serving as the company's head of licensing and legal, [...]
That doesn't sound *that* good to me...
Retrogamer

Post by Retrogamer »

fingolfin wrote:
That doesn't sound *that* good to me...
My sentiments exactly.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

well yes but think about it, hes been working for LA since before monkey island. while it is only temporally, it cant get worse than more lego/star wars/indiana games
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

The Lego Star Wars games are pretty clever and fun; although the fact that they're continuing to use the formula worries me, because the novelty is wearing off.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

luigihann wrote:The Lego Star Wars games are pretty clever and fun; although the fact that they're continuing to use the formula worries me, because the novelty is wearing off.
The LEGO novelty or the Star Wars novelty? (yes, I'm trying as hard as I can not to laugh at this phrase)

The only thing LA can do to save the SW brand as one worthy of good games is make a point-and-click adventure based on it, but we all know they not only can't, they won't even try to.

And the LEGO novelty has gone a separate way - LEGO Batman will be the fourth game on that engine and with that concept (most people missed it, but the Chronicles of Narnia game was the same as LEGO Star Wars except that it wasn't LEGO and it wasn't Star Wars, the gameplay and the engine were the same), but it ain't Star Wars, so it just might be fun enough on its own.

But that's not the subject of the topic. The subject is whether or not the switch of the head guy will affect the "quantity over quality" and "If in doubt, make it a Star Wars game that retcons half the storylines of previous Star Wars games into nothingness" (Yes, I'm still pissed Deadly Alliance retconned Dark Forces, the first and last good Kyle Katarn game, into nonexistance) approaches they've used for the last ten years or so. Time will tell and all that, neh?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Noelemahc wrote: The only thing LA can do to save the SW brand as one worthy of good games is make a point-and-click adventure based on it, but we all know they not only can't, they won't even try to.
Unfortunately, the fan base for Star Wars action games is probably much greater than the fan base for point-and-click adventures. "Jar-Jar's Midi-chlorian Mayhem (from the makers of Howard the Duck)" seems like a much more likely title.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

I can't say I'm not waiting for the oft-promised PC version of Mercenaries 2 (as I am, and so should you), it's just that the last in-house-developed game published by LucasArts was -- when exactly? They live off those royalties and exclusive publishing rights, I'm afraid.
Retrogamer

Post by Retrogamer »

Noelemahc wrote:I can't say I'm not waiting for the oft-promised PC version of Mercenaries 2 (as I am, and so should you), it's just that the last in-house-developed game published by LucasArts was -- when exactly? They live off those royalties and exclusive publishing rights, I'm afraid.
Mercenaries 2 is being published by EA. The first Mercenaries was published by LucasArts, but EA won the bid for the sequel. Pandemic studios developed both the original and the sequel.
NLS

Post by NLS »

I don't like it. (talking about the topic)
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Retrogamer wrote:Mercenaries 2 is being published by EA. The first Mercenaries was published by LucasArts, but EA won the bid for the sequel. Pandemic studios developed both the original and the sequel.
Ooops, my bad. Disregard my previous statements then :) Thanks for the info, by the way.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

"I've got a bad feeling about this."
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

Noelemahc wrote:I can't say I'm not waiting for the oft-promised PC version of Mercenaries 2 (as I am, and so should you), it's just that the last in-house-developed game published by LucasArts was -- when exactly? They live off those royalties and exclusive publishing rights, I'm afraid.
RTX Red Rock, no? (I rather suspect that the resounding failure of that particular title did very little to encourage the development of other original titles.)