7710 problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vne

Curious

Post by vne »

Good, good, very good!

I'm playing already Sky, Gobliiins CD, DOTT and ITE on my nokia 7710 when flying overseas.
Once it is working (in most cases) I'd like to get just a few bits from the to-do port-specific manual (sorry!) - I didn't find these things on scummvm.org:
1) What's the exact difference between cursor and joystick input modes? I'm bit confused by my own tests
2) What other sound/music options are available for Symbian s90 platform? I suspect that anything except adlib/default will put too much load on processor and will make the game not playable, but anyways is it possible to test gm or mt-32 and how? I'm normally removing all the sound drivers and midi mapping files from original DOS versions - is it correct?
3) Video modes: for some reason sometime I'm getting EGA graphics instead of VGA, is it game dependant or I can somehow control this?

Thanks for reading this.
Last edited by vne on Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

1. Joystick mode sends SDL joystick events to ScummVM which acts as a mouse control in scummvm. Cursor mode sends keyboard arrows instead, so for example it can be used to navigate through directorylist (one hand use perhaps!?) or save games etc. Of course if you want a different keyboard mapping you can use cursor keys as navigiation instead of joystick.

2. Well.. Games usually have either somekind of Midi/adlib/pc speakr/Tandy support, or using cd audio. So Midi emulation is currently not an option on the 7710 but you can try the PC speaker or Tandy (3 channel sound) if you want a little bit more light weight sound. CD audio is "emulated" through the use of MP3 of OGG tracks for the Symbian ports. GM or MT32 emulation requires at least a PC running at 1 GHZ so obviously this is not possible.

3. Yes if you would be running the EGA version of MK1 or Loom for example you would be getting EGA graphics, as VGA is not available in that version. So you just have to have the right versions of the games you want to play. So if you want VGA graphics, I would suggest to look in stores, where they sell compliations of old Lucas games for example (Just found for example FT at €30 at a local store, re-released. :-) ). So they are indeed available.
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

I added a mode switching guide for SXX phones to the FAQ @ http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SymbianOS_FAQ
item "How can I switch between Joy/Key/Cursor and Shrink/Zoom/Upscale modes for SXX devices"

Hope this clears things up:
enjoy!

greetz,
SumthinWicked

PS. This is the last thread I post this in: Ppl plz keep reading the FAQ :)
vne

Post by vne »

Absolutely clear now. Thank you.
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

vne wrote:Absolutely clear now. Thank you.
Dang: that's fast :) hehe
vne

Onscreen keyboard

Post by vne »

Btw: just a minor thing with onscreen keyboard. Leftmost keys (listed left to right) - enter, ctrl, esc - has mirrored bitmaps on 7710.
Another thing - looks like keyboard stops responding in the Inherit the earth (floppy). Keybord stops responding partially or completely, if pressing esc to skip second part of the intro. Either keyboard do not scroll keys or not responding at all. Still have to check it on PC - could be a bug in scummvm engine, not with keyboard.

*** edited ***

(1) p.s. has checked ITE (inherit the earth) on pc (v0.8 release) - no problem, works as expected. Can skip intro 1 and 2 by pressing esc key. Under symbian s90 version it somehow related to memory problem (my guess) because it sometimes does well in non-upscaled mode, and sometimes just screwing up onscreen keyboard (cannot scroll whole range of keys). Also - not sure if it does matter - when I have to kill scummvm with TaskSpy (when scummvm not responding to keyboard in ITE) is shows 2 scummvm prcesses running - and normally it supposed to be just one.

(2) p.s. For some reason SCUMMVM often is not visible in the Tasks list, and I cannot switch to it using "last tasks" shortcut. I only can see it as a process in TaskSpy, so have to run it again from the applications menu, which, in turn, sometimes lead to "ghost" scummvm process eating memory and resources. Not sure if my explanation does make sense, but there is something wrong with the api implementation in scummvm? Versions checked are december and november cvs builds of scummvm s90.

(3) p.s. - unfortunately cannot report anything to bugtracker - it requires SSL authorization for sourceforge, which I cannot do in my Opera browser via gprs.

Still in most cases scummvms90 works good. Standing ovation :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

1. Its known that you "lock" up when pressing escape during the ITE intro, its a mutex locking, not sure why though, has to be investigated further.
2. Yes the icons are linedrawn and somewhat backward yes. :-)
3 For the task I am not sure how I shall make it visible but I will investigate it.
vne

Post by vne »

Anotherguest wrote: 3 For the task I am not sure how I shall make it visible but I will investigate it.
It looks like I have found the cause of scummvm misbehavior in the task list:
(1) Shortcuts in the main menu for "proper" programs are pointing not to exe files, but to "Z:\SYSTEM\PROGRAMS\APPRUN..."(filename), having app filename as the parameter(command line), i.e. "D:\SYSTEM\APPS\SCUMM..."".
(2) If running ScummVMS90.APP(not the .EXE) from powerfile manager, it behave properly as a task in the current task list.
So, solution is to create proper shortcut in the main menu while installing sis file.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Create a proper entry in the main menu? Does n't the installer do that by it self? Because I don't do any adding to any kind of menusystems. I guess this might be from the users point of view.
vne

Post by vne »

Anotherguest wrote:I guess this might be from the users point of view.
Exactly, just users point of view. I know nothiing where this info is stored, I've just checked properties for certain icons in the main menu and compared it to ScummVM. And right now I've no guts how it does work during setup process. Also most of other programs are just app files, not the exe, some exe is stored separately under \system\programs\ folder. So I probably just confusing you. My apologies.
vne

Post by vne »

Still trying to confuse you about tasks and processes.
(3) For "proper" applications if there both app and exe files in the same dir under /system/apps tnen processes in memory called differently i.e. picodrive and picoexe. In case of scummvm, filenames for app and exe are different, but process names in taskspy are the same ("ScummVM")...

p.s. When trying to run app and exe from file manager I'm getting some weird effects, such as qutting when starting game, not exiting properly... could be just playing around too much...
vne

ITE issues

Post by vne »

Trying to free as much memory as possible for ITE (Inherit The Earth), my question is:
What is the difference between:
scummvm-051203-SymbianS90_saga.sis
scummvm-051203-SymbianS90_saga_mini.sis (?)

It actually works often (can skip the bloody intro) after phone restarted and has somewhat 14,5 mb RAM available, but not always... :( Seems to be also dependent when esc pressed. And it won't start at all if it is less than 7.5mb RAM available.

Does anybody know if it is possible to load saved gave without passing intro (ITE)?

Thanks in advance!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Recently we significantly reduced memory usage for ITE. Also it is possible to load a save from command line on those systems which support it. We already have feature request for loading saves directly from the launcher, but we stucked there because nobody got an idea how to implement that in the GUI. If you got some good idea and sketches, feel free to comment here

Eugene
SumthinWicked
ScummVM Porter

Post by SumthinWicked »

saga_mini is ScummVM for SymbianOS with just the saga engine compiled in and everything else disabled, so no other engines, no MP3 or Ogg, no Zlib (ITE doesn't need these anyways as far as I know). This should use the absolutely minimum in memory usage currently possible with ScummVM.

There are some ideas about a generic Small Devices Backend that could offer more memory and other speed improvements, but thse are just ideas at the moment (see http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Small_Devices_Backend for more information)

Further, depending on how recent these memory improvements were made in ITE (days? weeks?) it could be that these changes have not made it into a recent SymbianOS build yet: we will run another 'Build Session' soon :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

SumthinWicked wrote: everything else disabled, so no other engines, no MP3 or Ogg, no Zlib (ITE doesn't need these anyways as far as I know).
We use Zlib for compressing saves.
SumthinWicked wrote:
Further, depending on how recent these memory improvements were made in ITE (days? weeks?)
December 5th.

Eugene