Monkey Island 3 crashes start of part 3 - Mac OsX

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CBlakeston

Monkey Island 3 crashes start of part 3 - Mac OsX

Post by CBlakeston »

HI there,
First of all, great job programmers. You're genius, ect, ect.
/heap praise
You guys know we love you :)

Being introduced to ScummVM by a friend i spent the day diggin out the XP version of MI3 that i'd never played much. Then got in the mood by making a Monkey island themed wallpaper for my desktop and monkey island ringtone for my mobile, and sat down to enjoy gaming perfection...

Unfortunately i've run into a problem/ bug. When playing Curse of Monkey Island the sound disappears at the start of Part 3 at what i presume is the start of an insult duel. Then seconds later ScummVM locks up.

I managed to save it so can return to that point and sound sometimes lasts a little longer, but always ends with the same result.

I'm using ScummVM0.11.0pre (Dec 28) for Mac OSX on Leopard 10.5.1.
I copied all the Monkey 3 files from the CD as directed in the FAQs and have had no problems until now?

Can anyone help? I want to see what happens next dammit :)
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

Looking at other posts it seems looking at the crash log is the next step? Here is mine from when the prob started (i think):

12/01/2008 22:10:00 scummvm[597] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

12/01/2008 22:10:05 [0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597]
WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!

12/01/2008 22:55:33 [0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597] WARNING: IMuseDigital::cloneToFadeOutTrack: Not free fade track!

12/01/2008 22:56:07 [0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597] WARNING: IMuseDigital::cloneToFadeOutTrack: Not free fade track!

12/01/2008 23:19:25 [0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597] WARNING: IMuseDigital::cloneToFadeOutTrack: Not free fade track!

12/01/2008 23:20:48 [0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597] WARNING: IMuseDigital::cloneToFadeOutTrack: Not free fade track!

12/01/2008 23:20:49 [0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597] WARNING: IMuseDigital::cloneToFadeOutTrack: Not free fade track!

12/01/2008 23:22:46 com.apple.launchd[111] ([0x0-0x59059].org.scummvm.scummvm[597]) Exited: Killed

12/01/2008 23:23:06 scummvm[634] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

12/01/2008 23:23:09 [0x0-0x60060].org.scummvm.scummvm[634] WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!

12/01/2008 23:23:17 [0x0-0x60060].org.scummvm.scummvm[634] WARNING: IMuseDigital::saveOrLoad: Can't open sound so will not be resumed, propably on diffrent CD!

12/01/2008 23:31:45 com.apple.launchd[111] ([0x0-0x60060].org.scummvm.scummvm[634]) Exited: Killed

12/01/2008 23:31:52 scummvm[642] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

I believe that stuff was broken for a short period in the 0.11 prerelease branch, but should now be fixed again. One of the risks of using development snapshots :).

0.11 will be released very shortly. Until then, I'll try to get a new dev snapshot out tomorrow (Or you can revert to 0.10 for a few days, for that matter).
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

Ooo Ooo thank You :)
I used the development snapshot because i'd read elsewhere it fixed probs with launching .10 ? i may have got it wrong.

I'll download .10 now and keep a look out for .11 proper release soon.

Thanks so much. You guys should be knighted by the Queen for making Monkey Island available to mac owning peeps :)
Last edited by CBlakeston on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

OK, i tried version .10 and loaded my save gave. It got past the 'introducing how to duel' bit - trying not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it - but only ran with speech. no background music. Then ends with the crew bobbing up and down (Dancing?) with the occasional sound fx of a seagull in the background with no cursor or anything to do.

Any ideas? :(
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

This happens because the music files cannot be read. You'll probably have to revert to an EARLIER save (somewhere in act 2 preferrably, methinks, as it's CD1 territory) and try again. The crew's scene depends on the music file to be present (as the whole song is stored in the music files, and not the speech ones) and in a functional state because it's timer-dependant or somesuch. Might be because your musdisk2.bun file is damaged or something - it's one of the problems I've seen encountered on various forums in relation to the (badly ripped-up) warezed version.
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

Hey, thanks for that. This will teach me to save more often. I'll see what i can do about tracking down another cd1. I'm sure a friend has one tucked away somewhere.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Actually, it's CD2 you should be tracking down. The problem, it seems, is in your MUSDISK2.BUN file, as that's the one the crew's missing song is stored in. Try re-copying it from your CDs, that more often than not is enough to solve such problems.
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

Thanks, i've tried that but no joy. Maybe my save game is corrupted in some way? The last place i saved it before that was about half way through part 2 so i'll have some playing to do before i can test that theory.
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

Hey, well i copied across the musdisk2.bun file from my friends CD, loaded in my previous save game from half way through part 2 and carried on.

Everything seems to be fine now, and the pirates are happily singing in the background as i type this. Yay!

The background music did disappear for a little while the captain explained how to duel. Then started up again when he left leading upto the pirate song. But there was never a clear point where it cut out or anything. So it might be meant to be like that? Though it would seem a bit odd to have no music at that particular point as it seems to be everywhere else in the game?

Does the fact that music disappeared at that point indicate another file could be corrupt? Thanks for your help by the way :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

CBlakeston wrote: The background music did disappear for a little while the captain explained how to duel. Then started up again when he left leading upto the pirate song

Does the fact that music disappeared at that point indicate another file could be corrupt?
Probably a ScummVM bug. There are still a number of music-related glitches in The Curse of Monkey Island, and I think this is one of them.
CBlakeston

Post by CBlakeston »

Hey, thanks for that. At least i know i'm not going crazy now and imagining it, heh :) Will keep an eye out for the official .11 release and see if that fixes any glitches.
zampychia

Post by zampychia »

Hello everyone :)
I'm sorry, but I'm not able in English, so I don't understand very much what you've say.
I've a problem with Monkey Island, in the 3rd scene. Scumm crash some second after the scene starts.
I tried to re-install the game in Scumm, but i can't resolve the problem. :cry:
What can I do?
Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

zampychia wrote:Hello everyone :)
I'm sorry, but I'm not able in English, so I don't understand very much what you've say.
I've a problem with Monkey Island, in the 3rd scene. Scumm crash some second after the scene starts.
I tried to re-install the game in Scumm, but i can't resolve the problem. :cry:
What can I do?
Thanks!
Strange crashes that happen to no one else usually means the data files are damaged somehow. Have you tried copying the data files from your CDs again?
ohartnet

Post by ohartnet »

I've had a very similar issue....at the very opening of part 3, right before the duel with Rottingham, he mentions something about wit in dueling and before he finishes the sentence, the screen goes black and ScummVM just quits...I've copied all the files from my CDs again and it happens at the same spot every time....here's my crash log (this is on the Windows version of 0.11.0):

Using configuration file: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Scumm
VM\scummvm.ini
Looking for comi
Trying to start game 'The Curse of Monkey Island'
WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!
WARNING: IMuseDigital::cloneToFadeOutTrack: Not free fade track!
Assertion failed: track->soundDesc, file engines/scumm/imuse_digi/dimuse_track.c
pp, line 337

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.