The Secret Of Monkey Island : The Movie! (Project Idea)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The Secret Of Monkey Island Movie?

Good Idea!
68%
BAD Idea!
32%

Total votes: 19

ReeceMix

The Secret Of Monkey Island : The Movie! (Project Idea)

Post by ReeceMix »

Hey all,

Making A Dubbed Movie Of MI1

My Story:
Back in 1998 I bought a very crappy VCR Editing Machine (£80 woot!) it allowed me to add really crappy looking subtitles, but also I could hook up my microphone and record my voice directly over the video. A friend of mine was dyslexic and couldnt read the text so when I playing final fantasy or other textual games I would voice act as I was playing so he knew what was going on. At that time I had the idea for voice dubbing Monkey Island 1 onto VCR and voice dubbed the whole of 'Part One' onto VCR. The quality was crap, the ingame text was displayed and the icon flies around the screen rather distractingly.

10 years later...

I have fantastic video editing software!

Now I can;
1.Lower the screen position to create a widescreen effect
2.Remove/Hide the Inventory & Commands
3.Remove/Hide all onscreen talkie text
4.Remove/Hide the blinking cursor
5.Add any kinds of voice or sound
6.Lip Sync the characters speech

YouTube Example Vid up in a few days.

Question 1, Does this interest anyone?
I dont wanna spend ages creating something that MI fans wont care about

Question 2, To make my life a tad easier, is it possible to change the MI cursor to a single pixell size with scummVM? (this will make it easier to remove the cursor when the screen scrolls left or right, I can remove it anyway it will just mean more video editing)

Question 3, Short of hiring/kidnapping 'Dominic Armato' myself, Does anyone sound like him or any of the main characters and 'knows' how to voice act. ( I could probabally do him myself as Guybrush is younger and may end up doing most of the characters, but I definitely want female voice actors for Elaine and the Voodoo Lady.

So there It is , let me know what you think.

Reece
Last edited by ReeceMix on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

Not quite what you're thinking of, but it might be fun to take the audio from this flash and sync it up with actual gameplay footage using your method. :)
atariangamer

Post by atariangamer »

Heh, I like that idea! I'm not a fanatic for SCUMM games...was there a cd version with voices for MI 1?

If you split the vid up (I have dial up) I would download that.
ReeceMix

Post by ReeceMix »

luigihann wrote:Not quite what you're thinking of, but it might be fun to take the audio from this flash and sync it up with actual gameplay footage using your method. :)
God No, that just makes MI look .. crap
atariangamer wrote:Heh, I like that idea! I'm not a fanatic for SCUMM games...was there a cd version with voices for MI 1?

If you split the vid up (I have dial up) I would download that.
Dial up?? Good lord! Not a fan of scumm games? why are you here? & no there wasnt a talkie version of MI1, its probally possible for Adventure Game Studio to remake MI1 with speech but I wouldnt want to be the one to program it.. unless theres an easy way to rip and modify and recompile the original MI1, but nothins easy.

If people like this idea enough, I will upload it in parts to Youtube and then upload the full high quality version as a torrent ( and maybe some MI fan website would upload it for fans)

I will finish the intro upto the scene with LeChuck and voice it myself and upload it to youtube as an example of what the whole thing would be like.

I really want to know if scummVM can modify MI1's cursor
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

ReeceMix wrote:
luigihann wrote:Not quite what you're thinking of, but it might be fun to take the audio from this flash and sync it up with actual gameplay footage using your method. :)
God No, that just makes MI look .. crap
Well, I think it's funny. :|

The reason I suggested it is because I think that applying your idea to the entire game would result in something so long that no one will bother watching the whole thing. You'd be better off making something that's shorter and fun to watch. That's the impression I get, anyway.
atariangamer

Post by atariangamer »

ReeceMix, I'm not a fanatic. I'm not psycho for them. But I do enjoy them, and play them when I can. Thats why I'm here.

I agree with luigihann, It should be funny. And now that you mention it, you really don't need all of the parts of the game, just some major things...like the intro with the pirate leaders, but you don't need to talk to a pirate sitting in the bar first.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Too late, ReeceMix. It's been done already.
ReeceMix

Post by ReeceMix »

Kaminari wrote:Too late, ReeceMix. It's been done already.
The Princess Bride?

..Grow up
atariangamer

Post by atariangamer »

You know, I was looking for connections between the movie and the game for forever till I read the above post...But hows some progress?
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

Really fascinating, ReeceMix. How do you do remove/hide the blinking cursor and lipsync speech? Can you say which software you're using?
ReeceMix

Post by ReeceMix »

SimSaw wrote:Really fascinating, ReeceMix. How do you do remove/hide the blinking cursor and lipsync speech? Can you say which software you're using?
Adobe After Effects
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

I remember a somewhat similar topic coming up a couple months ago, and a battle ensued over the legality of the whole thing. I'm all for it, sounds like fun to me. I don't have a very Guybrush voice, but I can voice some pirates or something if you wish.
Egger3rd

Post by Egger3rd »

I'm doing something like that using the character. Someone said my voice sounded like Guybrush at one point, which gave me the idea to use that kind of voice for the otherwise "Nameless Hero" of the Gothic series of games.
Here's the first video I made:

The Secret of Gothic Island: Part 1 (Full-Quality, Downloadable)

The Secret of Gothic Island: Part 1 (YouTube Version)

Just so that there's no confusion, I love both of these series of games. I just enjoy making silly videos that encorporate the things I like. :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Egger3d

rofl

man, that was funny :-)

The climax, though, would have been "Guybrush" in his last scene
turning around to face the camera saying: "Damn, i'm soo f*cked!"
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, I personally found that video weird :P