ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta2 released for testing! [obsolete]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta2 released for testing! [obsolete]

Post by agentq »

Hi Everyone,

Here is a second beta version of the 0.11.0 release of ScummVM DS. It needs lots of testing, since there are so many games that I don't have time to do much of it myself. So please download it. Please post, even it it works fine!

The new scaler makes text a lot more readable, at the expense of some slowdown in some of the newer games.

New function keys should make all the AGI games playable.

This is a beta release, therefore there are not full instructions. This is designed for those who already know how to use ScummVM DS. Full instructions for the older version 0.10.0 are provided on the ScummVM DS website. Please refer to these instructions, as this beta works in mostly the same way.

Also, I have been told that the same code which runs Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max can also run some of the earlier HE games, so I have added these to the list below. They seem to work fine. Please test them too!

Changes

Beta2
- Future Wars and Gobliiins now work again
- Swapping the screens while the software scaler is enabled no longer causes odd effects

Beta1
- New games supported: Elvira 1 and 2, Waxworks (Amiga version)
- Software scaler for improved image quality. Turn it on using the DS options screen (press select during the game). Thanks to Tramboi and Robin Watts for this feature!
- Function keys added to virtual keyboard (used in AGI games)
- Plenty of bug fixes

Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars

Build E:
Inherit the Earth

Build F:
The Legend of Kyrandia

Download it here:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... 0beta2.zip
Last edited by agentq on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

Hi man, Thanks for all the work youre doing, this is my favorite toy right now :)

Everything I've tried seems to work well apart from when using the cpu scaler in the FM-Towns version of Zak. It appears to break the inventory part of the screen as everything below the top two lines is completely black.

Just thought i'd let you know, thanks again mate. :)

WD
patters

Post by patters »

Thanks for this. I just had a quick play - what's the purpose of the Unscaled Main Screen Option? Since in say Monkey Island you need to select dialogue and so on, isn't it more logical to always scale the main screen, and then allow you to flip them around if necessary?

With that option selected the touchscreen isn't correctly scaled to match the screen when using the CPU scaler when the screens are flipped, so should they be mutually exclusive settings? This can be seen easily in The Secret of Monkey Island by trying to open the door of the Scumm Bar. You need to click about 1cm to the right, as if the screen wasn't scaled.
tomten

Post by tomten »

patters wrote:Thanks for this. I just had a quick play - what's the purpose of the Unscaled Main Screen Option?
agentq wrote:This is a beta release, therefore there are not full instructions. This is designed for those who already know how to use ScummVM DS. Full instructions for the older version 0.10.0 are provided on the ScummVM DS website. Please refer to these instructions, as this beta works in mostly the same way.
patters wrote:should they be mutually exclusive settings?
No, sounds more like a "CPU scaler" (which makes the dialogue readable when the main screen is scaled) (which is new in 0.11) bug.
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

I played some more with sam & max with the new beta, and everything is still working. I also booted up manhunt 1 for several minutes and it ran perfectly.

Thanks!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Patters: yes, you're right, the unscaled main screen and software scaler options should be mutually exclusive. I'll look at that for the next beta.

The unscaled main screen option is useful. It allows you to read the text very clearly (clearer than the software scaler) without the slowdown caused by the software scaler. You can also see the graphics in their original form. At the expense of a bit of scrolling around to see everything.

Thanks for the testing, people! Please carry on playing games and reporting bugs. I want to be sure that everything works correctly. Please, if you play a game on this beta, just post what you played and how long you played it for, and that would be great.
Eyedunno

Post by Eyedunno »

I can now play the slots in Space Quest, but F5 and F7 don't seem to be working for save and restore. Fixing that would sure make the slots a lot less annoying, as I wouldn't have to keep switching screens.

Otherwise, a nice update so far.

Edit: Okay, the slots part was a bit of a pain, but I got through it and finished the game from that point with 205 out of 202 points (silly Sierra). So I can say that at least this game works all right.
knuxthefox

Inherit The Earth/SAGA Engine (build E)

Post by knuxthefox »

I've tried ITE on the previous three builds to see if I could get it to work, and before I go through the trouble, I would like to know if anyone has tested this yet.

The previous build (v 0.10) returned errors on Windows versions (Demo and Full), and showed a black screen with the DOS version. I know the game works since it runs flawlessly on both the Windows XP .exe and on ScummVM for Windows, and, believe it or not, will get to the title screen on Dreamcast; speech and music plays during the intro, slight glitch when narrator repeats a line instead of saying the next, but only for the one line.

I cannot offer my files since it is an official full release, and it's still being sold. However, if anyone needs the demo, it is available at http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/download.html

Edit: if I'm bored enough, I might test it, tonight.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

knuxthefox wrote:slight glitch when narrator repeats a line instead of saying the next, but only for the one line.
This is a known issue, and it's because of an incorrect sound file in the game's data files. It's the line "The humans also knew the Secret of Life, and they used it to give us the Four Great Gifts:", and the correct sample has been provided by Wyrmkeep (who currently distribute the game), with file "P2_A.iaf", which can be found as part of Wyrmkeep's update 2. Update 2 also includes a cool digital audio soundtrack, which makes the music in the game much much better :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The version of Inherit the Earth that I have runs perfectly on Scummvm ds, although I did have a report that the German version didn't work. I haven't gotten a chance to check that out yet.

When you say it gets to the title screen on the Dreamcast, does it not get past that point? Which version of Scummvm are you using on the Dreamcast?
tomten

Re: Inherit The Earth/SAGA Engine (build E)

Post by tomten »

knuxthefox wrote:I've tried ITE on the previous three builds to see if I could get it to work
I've played this version successfully with (at the very least) the latest stable build:

Code: Select all

filedate filetime filesize  filename    crc32 ("sfv")
1994-05-10  16:48 8.903.828 ITE.RSC     f36031f9
1994-05-10  16:14   327.162 SCRIPTS.RSC a64481e5
1994-05-08  21:14 5.695.569 VOICES.RSC  6762148b
TeenDev

Post by TeenDev »

It works great for me!

Will support for SpyFox or Freddy Fish be implemented soon?
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

I played sam and max for another hour or so today (2-3 hours total with the current beta) and came across some oddities. The music for the "stage show" at bumpusville didn't have any music but the animations still played, but there were some audible sound effects during the song. Also, there's some weird discoloration that happens when the the screen goes in and out of virtuality (also at bumpusville) but it clears up after the transition is over. Still completely playable though.

I played simon1 for about 10 minutes too, and everything worked great. CPU scaler option definitely improves the text readability in this game.

Thanks!
GeniusAction

Zak FM-TOWNS Version.

Post by GeniusAction »

Hi everyone this is my first post in this wonderful forum.
I'm testing with this latest ds port Zak FM-TOWNS version, there's a screen trouble about choice of objects, this is due to the limited DS number of pixels i think.
Infact in all others version of same game it's possible use arrows to go up and down with objects. For now I think it's not possible play fm-towns version. I tried all resolution combinations, with aspect ratio and not, Zoom 200% but nothing help.

P.S.
Thank you for job, I hope could help you in betatesting, my best greetings and have a good 2008 year.
raschi

Post by raschi »

johnzo wrote:I played sam and max for another hour or so today (2-3 hours total with the current beta) and came across some oddities. The music for the "stage show" at bumpusville didn't have any music but the animations still played, but there were some audible sound effects during the song. Also, there's some weird discoloration that happens when the the screen goes in and out of virtuality (also at bumpusville) but it clears up after the transition is over. Still completely playable though.

I played simon1 for about 10 minutes too, and everything worked great. CPU scaler option definitely improves the text readability in this game.

Thanks!

I believe you need to convert cd audio as well to get music during the bumpusville song.