Broken Sword 1 Intro

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

exofreeze
Banned

Broken Sword 1 Intro

Post by exofreeze »

Hey guys, I've got the Dec 19th daily build and I tried loading up Broken Sword 1 to test a command line launcher I'm working on. The game jumps right to the lead character standing up after the explosion. No intro is played, or anything else.

I played through the game (same data files) using ScummVM about a year ago and I remember the intro, developer logo, etc.

I re-downloaded the cut scene pack in case a file had become corrupt, although that made no difference.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Q6600, FP-IN9 board, 4gb ram, XP Pro svp2.
Game is the sold out version.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 1 Intro

Post by eriktorbjorn »

exofreeze wrote:The game jumps right to the lead character standing up after the explosion. No intro is played, or anything else.
Hmm... I assume the Windows version is compiled with all the bells and whistles, so it sounds like it doesn't find the intro cutscene. Apart from the game folder itself, it should be looking for files in folders named clusters, music, speech and video.

The intro cutscene is called, appropriately enough, "intro". ScummVM will first look for intro.dxa (if it's compiled with Zlib support). If that fails, it will look for intro.mp2 (if it's compiled with libmpeg2 support).

If you start ScummVM from a command prompt, with scummvm -d 3, it should print debug messages when opening - or failing to open - files. For me, the last few messages when it starts the intro cutscene are:
File 2m29.flac not found
File 2m29.fla not found
Opening hashed: /usr/local/games/scummvm/sword1/music/2m29.ogg
Creating DXA cutscene player
File intro.txt not found
Opening hashed: /usr/local/games/scummvm/sword1/video/intro.dxa
flags 0x040 framesCount 1908 width 640 height 400 rate 12 ticks 83
File intro.flac not found
File intro.fla not found
Opening hashed: /usr/local/games/scummvm/sword1/video/intro.ogg
(Note that it's quite normal for it to fail to open a few files.)
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Running it with debug on tells me "intro.dxa" is not found.

The video files I have are intro.mp2 and intro.ogg, from the video pack here on the site.

It doesn't actually seem to look for the mp2 file. Should I report this on the bug tracker?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

exofreeze wrote:It doesn't actually seem to look for the mp2 file. Should I report this on the bug tracker?
Looking closer, I see that the cutscene player uses the Common::File::exists() function to look for the DXA and MP2 files, so it probably doesn't print any warnings if it fails.

Have you checked if ScummVM is compiled with MPEG2 support? You can see it either in the About dialog, or by running ScummVM from a command prompt with scummvm --version. For me, it says "Features compiled in: Vorbis FLAC MP3 ALSA zLib MPEG2 FluidSynth". I don't know if the Windows version has FluidSynth support (it's certainly not needed for this), and it definitely wouldn't have ALSA since that's the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. The others are probably there, though.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

My about dialog says:

Features compiled in:
Vorbis FLAC MP3 zlib

So it looks like the daily build is being compiled without mpeg2 support.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The is currently no MPEG2 support, in the Windows daily snapshots of ScummVM.

The last Windows daily snapshot to include MPEG2 support, would have been about 4 months ago.

I have to ask, why are you still using the MPEG2 cutscene packs on a Windows system? when the DXA cutscene packs offer much better audio and video quality.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

I didn't notice there was dxa and mpeg packs on the d/l page. I went with the first one I saw. Either way, it might be worth noting in the readme that there is no mpeg compression in the daily builds.