ScummVM on the HTC Universal (WM5)/List of Issues

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jeff Kelly

ScummVM on the HTC Universal (WM5)/List of Issues

Post by Jeff Kelly »

I have one of those nifty HTC Universals.

It is a Windows Mobile 5.0 Device with VGA Screen, Keybaord and a clever flip mechanism. You can use the device with the keybaord as some kind of mini laptop but you can also flip the display so that the Universal looks like a normal pda with stylus control.

1. If you start ScummVM for the first time the display mode defaults to '1x' and is way too small on the profet's vga screen

2. There is some kind of task bar at the bottom of the screen in WM5 where there is among other things a control where you can select the preferred input method (Phone Pad, Keyboard, Transcriber etc.) and make the virtual keyboard appear.

The area where this control is located is a 'blind spot' for ScummVM. Everey time you tap the scren there when ScummVM runs the keyboard or menu screen pops up instead of telling your toon to run there or selecting some scumm command.

3. The keyboard of the HTC Universal is not working. If you press keys you will get different letters than the ones printed on the keys. Sometimes it will indefinitely repeat a ceratin letter until another key is pressed.

4. The ScummVM Menu at the bottom of the screen keeps vanishing. If you slect any menu item from the main menu (load, save, options) and resume the menu is gone and has to be redisplayed by tapping the top of the screen

5. Some times after I have used the Universal for a longer time ScummVM won't start any longer but crash with an unrecoverable error. Only a soft reset helps

6. The screen flip mechanism confuses the hell out of scummvm.

If you start ScummVM in laptop mode The picture is upside down and the X and Y Axis of the touch screen are swapped (you have to move left/right to make the cursor go up/down and vice versa)

7. In Indy 4 PocketScumm sometimes crashes with an unrecoverable error when you try to combine two items. I had it when combining the bladder, fishing net and basket to make the ballon and when combining the skeleton torso and the sandwich to make the crab trap. The error will occur until you soft reset the device.

8. Games are too fast. This is actually an issue with all ScummVM ports (at least I also had this on the mac port). Timed events are running way faster than on the original versions.

Examples:

All cut scenes in Maniac Mansion (Ed walking to the kitchen, the door bell event etc.)
Self destruct countdown at the end of MM
The distraction encounter on board of the zeppelin in Indy 3.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Please, read forum rule #3a.

And most of these things will be difficult to fix, as they require access to the device. Probably we will need you to do some extensive testing.

Eugene
Jeff Kelly

Post by Jeff Kelly »

sev wrote:Please, read forum rule #3a.
Sorry, must have overlooked that. I will enter those as bugs into the database
And most of these things will be difficult to fix, as they require access to the device. Probably we will need you to do some extensive testing.
If I can be of any help I will gladly do so.
belfast-biker

Wow.

Post by belfast-biker »

Jeff Kelly wrote:
sev wrote:If I can be of any help I will gladly do so.

Myself also - found out the double tap thing, at least, thank god...

What wonderful software - glad I upgraded my broken JAM to an EXEC now... :)
AlCapone

Post by AlCapone »

I also own a QTEK9000 (HTC Universal) .. and would be very glad if I could help you fix these bugs.

this is a VGA device with keyboard, it have enormous potential to be one of the finest ScummVM devices around :)
AlCapone

Post by AlCapone »

I submited some problems, http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820

you can submit the as other cases, since you know how to reproduce them.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Well, as Eugene said this is a tall order, but we'll get to them eventually. VGA support has not been tested much, so it's natural to have some issues. I don't think full keyboard support is something that has been explicitly coded (a supported feature), it's a "your mileage varies" thing.

Thanks for the bug report,
Kostas
halljames

Post by halljames »

I have come up with a cool little fix for issue 6 where if you start it in laptop mode or landscape, it screws it up.

I downloaded MortScript and created a script which rotates the screen to portraite, runs scummvm and waits till it finishes, then rotates the screen back to landscape.

I have created a shortcut to the script and put it on my start menu so this also fixes the problem of the keyboard input panel sometimes showing up .

Mort script can be got from here : http://www.sto-helit.de/modules/edito/content.php?id=38