Re-buying the classics

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

doc labyrinth

Re-buying the classics

Post by doc labyrinth »

So after turning my house upside down looking for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and to no avail, I decided I had no choice but to dish out the few bucks for a new copy on ebay. I hate re-buying things I know I own, but I had some sort of irrefutable desire to replay this game, as its probably been close to ten years since I've last played it. Any games so good you just had to re-buy?
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

The first Lucasarts game I bought, Sam & Max. I bought it when it first came out, but lent it to someone after I finished it and never got it back. I re-bought it in the Classics pack on Ebay with DOTT & FoA too, and then I was hooked...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I just had to buy again Kyrandia 1 and 2, originally I had the disk versions, but I really wanted to buy the CD versions of them, especially for the speech :) I also bought the CD versions of Monkey Island 1 and Warcraft 2 for their digital soundtracks, which sounded way better than the MIDI ones in their floppy disk versions
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

I re-bought Monkey Island 1 after first owning it on the Amiga, then came EGA, VGA and CD versions on PC. I also re-bought Monkey Island 2 on PC-CD after first owning it on the Amiga. Same goes for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I missed out on re-buying the Loom VGA CD version, though, so I'm stuck with the EGA version... :)

But as for losing a game and having to re-buy it just to play it, not gonna happen. LucasArts' excellent user guides taught me the value of only ever installing/playing from a backup and to keep the original disks out of harm's way.

Re-buying, for me, only happens when there's an enhanced release of the same game or I'm changing platforms.
pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

I just bought the Lucasarts Archives 1 (Full Thottle, Sam and Max, DOTT, and Fate of Atlantis.) and Monkey Island Madness which came with The Curse of Monkey Island. All for a hefty price of..... $25.00

Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, and Eid to all!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I've bought two copies of The Dig. I lent my first copy to a friend, who later died from a brain tumour. And somehow it just felt too awkward to go to his mom and ask for my game back, so I just bought a new copy.

I also have two copies of Monkey Island 1&2. First got the games for the Amiga, but later bought a white label CD with both DOS versions.
brat_1
Banned

Post by brat_1 »

I just bought indiana jones and the fate of atlantis in mint condition from amazon. also bought the last crusade graphic adventure . waiting for them to arrive .
pinkfloyd789

Post by pinkfloyd789 »

I'm actually thinking of buying "The Dig", and just maybe buy Escape From Monkey Island again for the PS2 (own it for the PC).
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

You can actually buy The Dig brand-new direct from Amazon.co.uk. It seems it was re-released over there.

Someone also mentioned that Full Throttle is available as a download from MOD: REMOVED.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Forum Rule 0
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Was not Jorpho referring to a legal download? I.e., paying for it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

spookypeanut wrote:Was not Jorpho referring to a legal download? I.e., paying for it?
That's what I thought. The link, if I remember it correctly, went to the web store of a company that's been around since forever. (Well, since 1921 at least.) I didn't see anything about a downloadable version - I didn't look very hard - but they're selling the game.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Er.... my apologies. I didn't think there was a legal place to download it.
[vEX]
ScummVM Webmaster

Post by [vEX] »

I just recently bought a used copy of The Dig after missplacing mine. Though the new copy is one of the re-release ones and not the original release.
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

spookypeanut wrote:Was not Jorpho referring to a legal download? I.e., paying for it?
Indeed. :?

I've asked before if anyone's had success in purchasing I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream from the Harlan Ellison Store, but I never got a response.