ScummVm 0.10.0 at 333mhz?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post by Avatar76 »

fingolfin wrote:Actually, my experience with emulation is that you usually need more like 10 times the power to emulate a system at good speeds, at least.

Luckily, ScummVM is not an emulator. So in theory, it should be possible to get it to work just fine on a 222Mhz PSP. It's mostly a matter of fine tuning, made difficult by the fact that we have to support many platforms, and hence can not tune everything towards a single specific device.
Well technically anything which is a virtual machine is an emulator it's just that you're emulating something which was never hardware. Unlike say a JavaVM You're emulating a piece of software designed to run on a 133Mhz intel Pentium CPU, but it's all symantics. You're all doing very well in any case I would never have dreamt of being able to breathe life in to these old PC games by making them available on the PSP. I must say though this is now my prefered way to play them apart from the mouse/thumbstick issues. Joostp is right in holding off releasing a 333mhz version of the latest ScummVM emulator, it's important the code is optimised rather then tossing clock cycles at it. I'd just love to see how COMI runs under version 10 with 333Mhz under the bonet, quite happy to log problems with it at 222mhz though.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

It has been a couple of months already...

I guess there's no chance someone would make a 333mhz build of latest scummvm for psp? :(

Pretty please? Pretty please with a sugar and...?

That would really make some people happy.

Post by Avatar76 »

Guys, you need to log any problems you're having, and it wouldn't hurt to give these guys a bit of money for all the trouble they go to.
FlaMäxil

Post by FlaMäxil »

Avatar, as you already logged this I only added a little comment (moral support :wink: ).

Maybe we could do something to solve this as fast as possible, so then the solution would be already in the incoming 0.11 version, and not in a later patch.

And a 333 Mhz 0.11 version would be like a dream becoming true.
evilguy12

Post by evilguy12 »

I would also like to see a 333Mhz option in next ScummVM. Monkey Island 3 slows down frequently. In talking, shooting the skeletons with the cannon and walking through large areas (like the town in Plunder Island).
Krono

Post by Krono »

I would also like to know why there is no 333MHz version, I mean the PSP was intended to run at 333MHz, not 222MHz. You're not overclocking the PSP at all, it's just that at the time PSPs were only using LI-ion and LI-Polymer batteries, and running the PSP at 222MHz saved a lot of battery life. That isn't the issue now. All new PSP Slims have LI-Polymer batteries that last long enough playing all the new PSP games at 333MHz, so there's no reason that ScummVM shouldn't run at 333MHz as well.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Why not use CWCHEAT or similar to change the clockspeed?
Krono

Post by Krono »

I can use CWCHEAT to force a clock speed? I thought ScummVM reset it to 222MHz after it started. Well, I'll get right on that joostp, thanks. You've got some great work going on here, by the way, I can't wait to see how ScummVM runs another 6 months from now.