The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

stracenska

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes

Post by stracenska »

I've read the FAQ so I know it probably won't ever happen.... but, just in case, I'm putting my 2 cents out there and saying it would be cool if this game were someday supported. I think it fits in nicely with the SCUMM games, minus the humor. And I'm talking about the first game, The Serrated Scalpel.
spacetroll

Post by spacetroll »

It's a matter of RE-ing the engine or having the source code released. It would be a nice addition, but don't hold your breath for it. In the meantime I find "Serrated Scalpel" works great in DOSBox.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

spacetroll wrote:It's a matter of RE-ing the engine and having the source code released. It would be a nice addition, but don't hold your breath for it. In the meantime I find "Serrated Scalpel" works great in DOSBox.
QFT

also scummvm needs permission from the copyright holders
clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote:It's a matter of RE-ing the engine and having the source code released.

QFT

also scummvm needs permission from the copyright holders
what are you talking about? last time I checked, for example Lucasarts hadn't released the SCUMM sources (and strictly speaking, Lucasarts hasn't even given permission to RE the engine, they just chose to not press actions). Simple REing an engine and reimplementing should be enough, and - as far as I know - is also considered legal in pretty much everywhere outside the US
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

PsYcO wrote: also scummvm needs permission from the copyright holders
We need permissions only when we want to distribute some copyrighted materials such as cutscenes and game data. Also we asked permissions to remove copy protection for some game.

As of REing the game engine, it is perfectly legal, especially our case, that is "to achieve better compatibility" is specifically mentioned in EU copyrights. It could be a problem in US (could be, not necessarily will be), but none of major ScummVM developers is US-based. Besides, that's the only main problem with FreeSCI which are forced to use clean room RE because of one of their key developer stays in US.

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sev wrote:but none of major ScummVM developers is US-based
Hey! :P Well, I'm not really a dev anyway (yet) ;)
lskovlund

Post by lskovlund »

sev wrote:
PsYcO wrote: Besides, that's the only main problem with FreeSCI which are forced to use clean room RE because of one of their key developer stays in US.
Actually, the project started in 1999, when Christoph was very much living in Germany :-)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

lskovlund wrote:
sev wrote:
PsYcO wrote: Besides, that's the only main problem with FreeSCI which are forced to use clean room RE because of one of their key developer stays in US.
Actually, the project started in 1999, when Christoph was very much living in Germany :-)
hey, i never said that!:P
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

This game is brilliant, I never managed to complete it though
I would love to see it supported, but I know that its only likely to be achieved through RE, Its an electronic arts game iirc, however for posterity (the chance of someone one day being interested in RE'ing this game and searching this forum) I have a copy I would be willing to donate.
Rob
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Aye, the game and its sequel are both brilliant. Probably the best Sherlock Holmes games ever made, I think.
CharlyDic

Post by CharlyDic »

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any news about this? Will the SCUMMVM proyect bring support to this games? ("Case of the Serrated Scalpel" and "The Case of the Rose Tattoo"). :)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

It's a matter of RE-ing the engine or having the source code released. It would be a nice addition, but don't hold your breath for it. In the meantime I find "Serrated Scalpel" works great in DOSBox.

I just couldn't resist it :D
CharlyDic

Post by CharlyDic »

Thanx dreammaster, I'll try it NOW! :)
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

DOSBOX is great, but for my iPod Touch I need scummVM, that's why I can't play Sherlock Holmes :cry:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

pathfinder wrote:DOSBOX is great, but for my iPod Touch I need scummVM, that's why I can't play Sherlock Holmes :cry:
So what? My iPod can't even run ScummVM. It's 3g nano.

Eugene