Lure of the Temptress ready for testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Lure of the Temptress ready for testing

Post by dreammaster »

ScummVM now adds another freeware title to its list of supported games: Lure of the Temptress, which was the first game to use Revolution Software's Virtual Theatre engine. Players must help Diermot escape imprisonment, unravel the mysteries surrounding the Skorl occupation of the town, and eventually defeat the evil enchantress that controls them.

Get the latest daily build of ScummVM and the required support data file. Since the game is freeware, you can freely download it in any of the available languages: English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. You can also pick up several versions of the game directly from the Revolution website.

Please post any bugs you can find to our bug tracker, following the bug submission guidelines.
Screenshots are also needed, which can be submitted using the appropriate guidelines for screenshot submission.

We are also currently looking for anyone who may have knowledge of a Dutch release of the game and can provide us with a copy.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

* takes a bow * :D
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Whoo! Been waiting for this, I'll grab an SVN and a copy and start testing.

Does this handle Copy Protection at all or should we still be restarting?

And whoo! Tony!
clem

Post by clem »

congratulations!
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

iPwnzorz wrote:Does this handle Copy Protection at all or should we still be restarting?
Should be easy to fix, if it's still in.

Still amazed anyone managed to do this with Lure. Very well done to those involved :)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Does this handle Copy Protection at all or should we still be restarting?
This completely handles it, so no need to be restarting after you start the game. In fact, you won't see the copy protection screen on any language version now, unless you really want to, and use the '--copy-protection' command line argument.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Very good work, well done :)
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Wow, fantastic! Now are all 2D adventure games of Revolution Software supported by ScummVM. Thank you, dreammaster, for all your work REing this game. :D

I think Lure of the Temptress is a somewhat interesting game because of the first excessive use of virtual theatre. You can see all the NPCs walking around and living their own daily life, it's just great. I think it can be seen as one of the first real life simulators after "Little Computer People" and only a decade before "The Sims". I think that was also the first adventure/real life simulator game ever created.

The story and puzzles might not be as good as in later Revolution games, but for their first game, it was quite good and they tried the show a detailed daily live of all NPCs in the village.

So, happy playing, everyone!
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i can't get the game running. i'm using mac os x, with the 0.11.0 version of scummvm, i've downloaded the .dat file, and added the game successfully, but when i click start game, scummvm just exits. am i the only one?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

doc labyrinth wrote:am i the only one?
No, and we even wrote a FAQ entry, though it is Windows-specific. In short, run ScummVM from console to see the error message.

Eugene
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

thanks for the quick reply..and sorry i didn't read the faq, i was all giddy about playing a new game. the only thing is, i'm not really quite sure how to do that, and as you said the faq is windows specific so i can't use that advice. thanks again for your help.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

doc labyrinth wrote:you said the faq is windows specific so i can't use that advice. thanks again for your help.
Open X terminal, or terminal window or console, I am not sure how it is called under MacOS. Then type in 'scummvm' and hit enter. Try to run the game. Once the window will get closed, you will see the reason printed in that terminal window.

Eugene
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

ok i figured it out, so here's what my console is telling me:

Incorrect version of lure.dat file-expected 1.24 but got 1.26!

that's it, is there a different .dat file i can download? thanks.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

doc labyrinth wrote:that's it, is there a different .dat file i can download?
Well, now it's really your fault. See beginning of this thread. It has the link.

edit: hmmm. wait. It expects _lower_ version. Try to get newer MacOS build from our dowload page.

Eugene
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

when i clicked that link initially it opened a window with all kinds of crazy question marks all over it, so i clicked the link on the scummvm homepage and that auto started a download, which is the file i put in the "lure" folder. it aint working though.

edit: i didn't see your edit, ha. i actually downloaded the newest mac osx snapshot today, perhaps i should just wait for a newer version in the future?