Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sandman4sure

ScummVM custom skin

Post by sandman4sure »

See
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=28502#28502
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=28498#28498

It would be great to make a custom skin for the iPhone/iPod Touch.
I want to look into this when I have some time.

Is it possible to make the scrollbar thicker just by making a new skin? Or does it involve more coding?

P.S. a link to the GUI Themes WIKI page:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GUI_Themes/Specs
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM custom skin

Post by sev »

sandman4sure wrote:Is it possible to make the scrollbar thicker just by making a new skin? Or does it involve more coding?
Yes, it's possible. See 320x200 theme, the bar is thinner there. So it all depends on the image which it uses. However, the scrollbar design is not changeable now, but I personally don't like this design at all, so if you will come with a better mock-up, I'll implement it gladly.

Eugene
tx0min

Post by tx0min »

I think it would be great if the gui was iphone based.

I'll post a mock-up later.
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

sev, would something like this be possible?

SpARC

Post by SpARC »

Damn..

nice :D looks like it is already existing?! I like that one..
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

sandman4sure wrote:sev, would something like this be possible?
That will be possible even with existing code. I.e. just by tweaking images and theme ini file.

And note, that all button positions and sizes are tweakable in any way.

Eugene
rotane

Post by rotane »

Very nice mockup, sandman4sure, but what would really rock is to take full advantage of the iPhone's swiping feature (i.e. getting rid of the scrollbar alltogether), so you'd have a menu similar to the Settings or Photo app on the iPhone.

Would this be doable, sev?
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

yeah, that would definately be a lot better! But then you would have to change how the menu works... don't know if that is possible..??
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Taking a page from what NES.app and subsequently gpSPhone.app do, they took existing emulators, ported them to iPhone, and then made a sort of a "frontend" for them. What you see when you run the program initially is an interface made entirely of iPhone-native widgets, which allows you to load games, start a game from a save file, etc. When you DO start a game, it simply calls the original emulator program with the correct arguments to make it happen.

Since you can start ScummVM with any game via command line, this could theoretically be possible -- it would, however, take a truckload of programming and research on Vinterstum's part.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

rotane wrote:Very nice mockup, sandman4sure, but what would really rock is to take full advantage of the iPhone's swiping feature (i.e. getting rid of the scrollbar alltogether), so you'd have a menu similar to the Settings or Photo app on the iPhone.

Would this be doable, sev?
Yes, but it'll require some additional code support. It's on my list somewhere :).
rotane

Post by rotane »

Vinterstum wrote:Yes, but it'll require some additional code support. It's on my list somewhere :).
Cool!

I just had some time/motivation, so I came up with a quick mockup. I've somewhat restructured the whole menu and got rid of the "Quit" button alltogether, since no other app has one..

The main screen:

A selected game:

The popup menu that appears immediately after selecting a game:

(I've taken my inspiration from the XLaunch app, so credits go to them)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Well, I meant specifically that the "fling" scrolling of lists and such is on my list, not necessarily a full-blown native launcher :). Though it's an option at some later point, certainly (and of course someone could do a third-party launcher that just launches scummvm through the command line).
rotane

Post by rotane »

My bad then! But you're right, might be too much to code for just one person. And it's certainly not top priority as of now. I would help if I had only the slightest clue as to how to do it :oops:
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

lol rotane, you beat me to it

tx0min

Post by tx0min »

I think we all have the same idea.
Here is my mockup.

I don't think an "Add game" button is strictly needed. in order to improve usability, the application should read a default predefined directory and autodetect supported games.
This could be the main screen. I don't know if it is posible to implement the icon feature, but cetainly it would be cool.

You could launch a game just by clicking on it.
If the "Add game" button is used (maybe a little "+" on the upper left corner) then we also need a deletion method.
I think the mail application method is the best one: swipping left-to right on the game to be deleted and then clicking the red delete button.

When clicking on the blue arrow button the current game options screen whould be displayed. Could be something like this.

The general preferences should be similar.

Also, I think it would be a nice feature to add an option to "Add this game to Spring/Summer Board" so you could directly acces to it.