using .bin and .cue?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

thunderstrike

using .bin and .cue?

Post by thunderstrike »

hello!

I recently discovered this program, and I went into my basement to find my old curse of monkey island cd case. Well, I found it but it was split in like 3 pieces :x

So I tried to get a backup from the internet (not being a pirate - I own the game) and it came in a .bin and a .cue for each CD.

How do I use these on the psp scummvm?
Thanks!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hi thunderstrike,

while I feel with you (it's really a shame if you are looking for one of your old favorite games and discover that the media has become unusable for some reason or the other), this is unfortunately still no justification for downloading the game.

If you own a bike, but it gets broken beyond repair -- then that does not mean you may go to the shop and pick up a new one as a free replacement (unless there happens to be a real good support guarantee on it). If you do it anyway, it's called shop lifting.

Likewise, if your media becomes destroyed beyond repair, it's annoying, but it still does not entitle you to download the game from the net. It's called software piracy by some people.

Now one can argue about physical vs. non-physical (i.e. data) property etc. etc. -- but in the end, it doesn't matter -- our forum, our rules, no arguing this point. For various reasons (explained in our FAQ and see also forum rule #0), we can not tolerate this in any form here. In particular we can not give any support to users who downloaded their games from the internet. Period. Attempts to try to do so anyway violate our forum rules and can thus draw various negative consequences.

So, tough luck, but I suggest you take a look at ebay, or maybe even some game shops -- it's quite easy to get a cheap new copy of CoMI, and so you should be able to play it again very soon anyway :-)
thunderstrike

Post by thunderstrike »

you're right, I never thought of it that way

Thanks!
I'll check some stores today, and hopefully I dont have to use eBay (shipping times... argh)

:)
thunderstrike

Post by thunderstrike »

luckily i found one, and got the right files out of the cd.

Its great to replay it on a modern (and portable!!) hardware.
Thanks! :D
rubejb

Post by rubejb »

Legal issues aside I don't see why downloading a game you already own would be a problem.

When you buy a CD or DVD you're paying for the content on the disc, weather it's a game, movie, music or whatever... not the disc itself. Sure, some of the cost of the item is for the actual disc and the packaging, but in this case he's already paid for that once.

Look at the new options for purchasing CDs. There is often a choice of buying a digital download at one cost or spending an additional fee to get the physical media. The new Sam and Max game is one example of this. Music is another.

So the law may say downloading a game you already own is illegal but when it really shouldn't be. If you've paid for the same exact content once, why should you have to pay again?