F200: Official Test Builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's GP2X, GP2X Wiz and Caanoo ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

F200: Official Test Builds

Post by DJWillis »

Folks,

EDIT: Newer build lower down the thread.

I have been playing around with the code that makes the F200's touch screen tick and have come to a point where it is just about working.

It should also be fine on the old F100's and it will just not try and use a touch screen.

There are some snags and as I currently don't have any working GP2X (let alone an F200) this is very majorly untested. Never the less the helpful people in #GP2XDev on EfNet (and Paeryn) have given me loads of help with code and testing and it at least loads some games and the touch screen works :wink:.

There are caveats however…

The mouse pointer is currently shown (I’ll fix that a little later).
Accuracy may well be very variable.
There is no right click (I’ll add push and hold for right licks like most PDAs if I can figure out a neat way).
On games that run at a native resolution higher then 320*240 I have no idea what will happen (who wants to try that and let me know).

For ease I built off the 0.10.0 release code rather then the current SVN so I had a stable base to work from.

Anyway, on to a download.

http://scummvm.distant-earth.com/scummv ... -11-06.zip[/b]
Last edited by DJWillis on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

Oh God why the hell are you so bad with me... :(

It doesn't work for me.

EDIT: now it works! I had to remove the gp2x from the cradle! It is a bit inaccurate, but the basics are here!
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

dj jack wrote:EDIT: now it works! I had to remove the gp2x from the cradle! It is a bit inaccurate, but the basics are here!
Cool, I am coding blind so I am sorry it's a bit rough.

Thanks for the update about the cradle.

It seems the touch screen on the 2X is not very accurate from the data I have so far :(. I hope there is some pattern to it so we can improve things in software.
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

Ok, now the comments: the pointer starts nearly percfectly aligned with the stylus at the bottom of the screen but gets further away when tapping in the upper part of the screen. Example: if I tap at the bottom of the screen the pointer clicks just 1 or 2 pixels of distance under the stylus, but if I tap on the upper part of the screen the pointer clicks about 6 or 7 pixel away from the stylus. And sometimes the pointer jumps to random places when tapping with the stylus. Maybe the touchscreen routines aren't accurate enough. Hope this helps. If I'll notice any other bugs I'll tell you editing.

Thanks for your efforts Wink

Jack

EDIT1: Another bug I just noticed is that now the volume buttons seem to act as the right click too. Very weird: this seems to happen just in some locations in Monkey Island 1 such as the SCUMM Bar and the outside area.
Humblebee

Post by Humblebee »

DJWillis: Thank you! Really, this is great. I have my F200 only for a few days, and the thing I missed most was Scumm with pseudomouse.

I had some of the same experiences DJ Jack described.
While running Day of the Tentacle (and again, thank you! :-) ) the cursor jumped to a random spot when tapping about once in 20 taps, while briefly finding the right spot before the jump. I assume thats not your code but the quality of the screen.
The cursor (a cross in DotT) is never centered on the spot clicked, but is below that point. (Meaning the uppermost pixel of the cursor will be where clicked.) However the screen element clicked will be correctly hit regardless.
This goes for all the games tested, s.b.
Btw, I think it is useful to see the cursor, no need to fix that.

Some modest proposals for future builds:
The "clicksystem" could be like this:
Default is the left click for a tap on the screen.
Left shoulderbutton modifies, the tap becomes a right click while held.
"A" button enables hover mode, in which the mouse can be moved but doesn't interact with the environment. (This is needed in some games (i think), where one wants to see what is under the cursor without interacting with it. (The Dig, I vaguely remember, requires this in some puzzles where you need the info about an item but do not want to click on it yet)
Another button than "A" would be better, but they are all taken. Best would be one of the directional buttons (for a right handed person), but using them would mean to end compatibility with non-F200.

One more thing. I was looking for a Paypal donation button and was disappointed not to find one anywhere (is there one anywhere?) I could only donate a really modest sum, about 1/15th of your own F200 ;-)
(Though you do not seem to need one.)
Thanks again,
HB

Tested (superficially) with DotT, The Dig, Gobliiins, Monkey Island 1, Sam&Max, Indiana Jones atFo Atlantis. All runnig and clicking
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Humblebee,

Thanks for the detailed report.

I am trying to find a way to offer an F200 optemised control system if a touch screen is found and dropping back to a 'classic' mapping if your using an F100 or an F200 with a USB mouse.

I also have some other ideas to make the touch screen a little more 'slick' with some tricks used on platforms like the DS to improve the screen sensitivity. I guess it will take a little time to see what I can rustle up. I also have a 'push and hold' for right click in mind, like PDA's.

I would be really appreciative if somebody could try it with a 640*480 game (say the BS2 demo) just so they can confirm the touch screen goes crazy as I suspect it will. It won't damage anything :wink:.

As for a PayPal account, I have never really taken personal donations for any of my projects and ScummVM is such a vast project I would feel bad talking money for other peoples work.

My exceptions are donations of hardware or games to test (trying to get hold of I Have No Mouth if anybody sees this ;)) but if you fancy making a small donation then make it to the ScummVM project and just note what it is for in the comments. As a project the money will go to much better use anyway :D. I'll sort out an F200 at some point I am sure.
Humblebee

Post by Humblebee »

Hi again,
I tested the Demo of Broken Sword 2.
TS-support is broken too, as you expected, but not really crazy. If I click in the lower right corner, the cursor appears in the (as far as I can tell) exact center of the screen, if I click in the upper left corner the cursor appears exactly where clicked. Clicked points in between (on the line between LR and UL) result in the cursor in a proportional position. (bad phrasing, but you get my meaning?)
Seems like a aspect ratio problem?
Let me know if you want more tests done.
cu
Florian
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Humblebee wrote:Hi again,
I tested the Demo of Broken Sword 2.
TS-support is broken too, as you expected, but not really crazy. If I click in the lower right corner, the cursor appears in the (as far as I can tell) exact center of the screen, if I click in the upper left corner the cursor appears exactly where clicked. Clicked points in between (on the line between LR and UL) result in the cursor in a proportional position. (bad phrasing, but you get my meaning?)
Hi Florian,

That is just what I had in mind :D.

The touch screen has a fixed map of 320*240; I render a 640*480 screen (or whatever) behind the scenes and down/up scale in hardware. The touch screen then tries to plot 320*240 onto that 'real' screen and as such only hits the top quarter. I should be able to do some adjustments for that but its not going to be that precise as your going to have dead pixel areas. Still it would be better then nothing, the crappy nature of the down scaling makes pixel hunting on 640*480 games an impossibility anyway. Now to just figure out a nice place to do the math :D.

Can you try the zoom mode in BS1 and tell me what the effect of that is on the touch screen.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Ok,

This is the build I did last night. No idea if it works, if somebody can try it and let me know I would be very pleased.

ScummVM GP2X F200 0.10.0 06/11/08 - Untested

It should support the calibration info in /etc so be a lot more accurate.

Other then that I have not finished off most of the other changes yet (left click, right click, hover etc.).

I was going to suggest that if your using an F200 I reuse the dPad to toggle the touch screen state?

What I have in mind is: Left on dPad = Put touch screen in left click on touch, Right on dPad = Put touch screen in right click, Up on dPad = Put touch screen in hover mode (press just treated as a mouse move without click).

What do people think about this? Just to clarify the above build does not have those features.
Humblebee

Post by Humblebee »

Hi,
I tried your new build.
Accuracy is much better indeed, cursors are centered on the point of clicking, even the random jump seems to be less frequent (though that may be a false observation).
BS2 still broken, but you didn't work on that.
I like your ideas about using dpad-buttons as modifiers for the click very much.
I will get around to test BS1 on the weekend, a trip to the attic must come first, to recover it. (Now *that* will be an adventure game ;-) )
cu
Florian
Last edited by Humblebee on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

I think that would be cool, but then there must be an option to select those functions with the buttons and using the dpad instead of those. For the left-handed people, you know ;)

The build is very accurate in the cursor position, although it still jumps to random places at random times when you tap.

Oh, there also still is that weird bug with the volume buttons acting as right click in come parts of monkey 1 cd and the strange acting of the text skip and pause buttons.

Keep up the good work!
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Ok,

2 updates today.

One is the usual 0.10.0 build with touch screen support added.
With any luck this build fixes the issues with high res games like Broken Sword (thanks Paeryn).
I can't be sure and obviously can't test ;). It does not have the new F200 button code yet, just the basic touch screen.

Feedback appreciated.

ScummVM GP2X F200 0.10.0 12/11/2007 - Untested

Second is a build of my latest 'in development' code based on the current ScummVM SVN as of a few hours ago. No idea if this is working but if it does all the F200 code should now be in there.

Can somebody run it and let me know. Ideally on an F100 and an F200.

ScummVM GP2X LATEST SVN 12/11/2007 - Untested

If this SVN build is working then I will finish off my F200 control system and include it in SVN builds from now on. I think the basic touch screen code is fairly solid now.
sanji

Post by sanji »

Hi! :)
First off all: This is a really great port! Keep up the good work!
I tried the first two test builds and experienced an increase in accuracy from the first to the second concerning the touch-screen. Today, I tried the new svn build and everything that worked in the previous builds seems to be working as well. However, some seemingly random "jumps" of the cursor do still occur.
The idea to use the d-pad to switch between left click, right click and hover seems really great to me! :) I hope to see this feature implemented soon. ;)
Thanks for all your hard work! :)

P.S. Sorry if my English seems a bit weird - I've been out of practice lately.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

sanji wrote:However, some seemingly random "jumps" of the cursor do still occur.
It is looking more and more like this is a 'feature' of the F200 rather then a fault of the code, not sure if anything can be done about it. I'll have a think.
sanji wrote:The idea to use the d-pad to switch between left click, right click and hover seems really great to me! :) I hope to see this feature implemented soon. ;)
Started on it but testing is a problem, I may post something up once I am reasonably sure it will work.
sanji wrote:Thanks for all your hard work! :)

P.S. Sorry if my English seems a bit weird - I've been out of practice lately.
Thanks, much appreciated. Your English seems fine to me :D.
Lafazar

Post by Lafazar »

DJWillis wrote:What I have in mind is: Left on dPad = Put touch screen in left click on touch, Right on dPad = Put touch screen in right click, Up on dPad = Put touch screen in hover mode (press just treated as a mouse move without click).

What do people think about this?
That's almost the way it is handled on the ScummVM port on the Nintendo DS.

Additionally, as long as you have the stylus on the touch screen, pressing left and right on dPad will NOT change to left/right click on touch mode, but rather send a single left or right mouseclick while remaining in hover mode.

I personally found this to be very comfortable, since you can hover around freely and just tap the dPad for mouseclicks, but there needs to be a visual indicator, whether you are in left click/right click or hover mode or else it may happen that you activate left/right click mode without noticing (when you accidentally leave the touchscreen while clicking).

This is a problem with the DS Port, because if I expect to be in hover mode while actually in "left click on touch mode" and tap the dPad to get a left click nothing happens. This happened quite a few times.

On the DS they used a large icon on the upper screen as indicator, so I could quickly see what the problem was and change back to hover mode. On the GP2X I fear an icon would obstruct the actual game.

Perhaps this would be a solution:
Stylus off Touchscreen + dPad Left: Left click on touch mode
Stylus off Touchscreen + dPad Right: Right click on touch mode
Stylus off Touchscreen + dPad Up: Hover mode

Stylus on Touchscreen + dPad Left: Hover Mode, send single left click
Stylus on Touchscreen + dPad Right: Hover Mode, send single right click
Stylus on Touchscreen + dPad Up: Hover mode