Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 9

Illuminerdi

GP2X F-200 Stylus/Mouse Support

Post by Illuminerdi »

So the GP2X F-200 is supposedly going to hit later this month, and I'm intending to pick one up as soon as they hit - and ScummVM is definitely one of the first things I'm loading up on it when it arrives. As one of the fancy new features of the F-200 is a touchscreen and stylus, I'm wondering how soon you guys think stylus/mouse support will show up?

Obviously it's a matter of how soon the porters can add it in, though I'm wondering if perhaps it's already ready to go, since the SDK for the GP2X is OSS, perhaps they've released the stylus SDK early enough to pre-program for it? Is it going to be a lot of work to add in support for it, or will it take all of 5 minutes to drop in and update?
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

since touchscreen/stylus support in the F200 is mapped to the X mouse cursor...

I wouldnt think it too hard, more you need a reliable way to detect F100 vs F200 systems and enable mouse.

You might want to ask on the http://www.gp32x.com/board/
Illuminerdi

Post by Illuminerdi »

Perhaps just a checkbox to turn it on/off, if there's no way to autodetect between the F100 and F200?

Autodetection would obviously be the better choice for dummy proofing, but ultimately I think that having the feature would be a huge boon vs worrying about the ability of people to recognize whether or not their system supports that feature.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Strange poll ;).

F200 support one way or another will be in as soon as I get some more info from GPH and the suppliers, considering I have a good idea how it will work and some prototype code sat on my local SVN I don't see it being a big problem. That said, being a tad skint I don't plan to buy an F200 so other people will have to test my code ;).

John
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

Just to update this, the over the top controller code I put into 0.10.0 paid off, 0.10.0 and above work with the F200's touch screen but there is a little refinement work to do to make it nicer and more user friendly, if you have an F200 it 'just works' or so I am told.

It also seems that the F200's touch screen has some interesting calibration features ;), like it does not calibrate very well.
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

I didn't understand, have you released the touchscreen-compatible version or did you just give it to some people for beta testing purposes?
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

dj jack wrote:I didn't understand, have you released the touchscreen-compatible version or did you just give it to some people for beta testing purposes?
I don't have an F200 but I added code (based on some info at the time) to the 0.10.0 version before release so the official release of 0.10.0 for the GP2X and more recent test builds support the touch screen on the F200. This has since been tested and confirmed by a few F200 owners.

That said, support is rough and I would like to refine it. Who wants to buy me an F200 then ;).
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

It doesn't work on my f200 :-( I'm using the version downloadable from the scummvm site...
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

dj jack wrote:It doesn't work on my f200 :-( I'm using the version downloadable from the scummvm site...
Ahhh, well that is interesting. Ok, well I guess it 'may or may not' work. Until I can find out more I guess that is the extent of what I can say.
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

Hey you :D two guys at gp32x forums created a perfectly working touchscreen driver, have a look here: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.c ... ,0,46,2358

Maybe this could help you adding perfect touchscreen functionality to the port.
raytaller

Post by raytaller »

Hello,
First, congrats for this ScummVM port, my girldfriend and I do enjoy a lot playing monkey island using the stylus, this is just magic. These wonderful pixel artworks on such a small screen is a real eye candy.
However, on my F200, the stylus is not really calibrated : when I am on the top of the screen, the cross goes about 10px above, when in the bottom, about 7~8 pixels below. In fact, the Y scale seems to be about 7~8% too high in my case.
The X axis is perfectly calibrated.
Could the calibration settings being set in a config file, like .scummvmrc ?
Thanks anyway for this great work :-)
Tom
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

raytaller wrote:Hello,
First, congrats for this ScummVM port, my girldfriend and I do enjoy a lot playing monkey island using the stylus, this is just magic. These wonderful pixel artworks on such a small screen is a real eye candy.
However, on my F200, the stylus is not really calibrated : when I am on the top of the screen, the cross goes about 10px above, when in the bottom, about 7~8 pixels below. In fact, the Y scale seems to be about 7~8% too high in my case.
The X axis is perfectly calibrated.
Could the calibration settings being set in a config file, like .scummvmrc ?
Thanks anyway for this great work :-)
Tom
Hi,

Are you using an old F200 build? Grab the latest test release from my site and tell me if it is still out on that as it reads in the calibration data from the GP2X now (well should do ;)).

I plan to do another test release for the 0.11.0 release over the weekend and that will have the latest touch code in it. Afraid to put most of the new code other then touchscreen into the 0.11.0 release as I can't test any of it.

John
raytaller

Post by raytaller »

Hi,
I'm using the 2007-12-05 version, that I found at this page : http://scummvm.distant-earth.com/scummvm/