iPod Touch/iPhone Port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ruudboy

Post by ruudboy »

Just a quick update.

I've got my iPhone back-end running against the SVN trunk, now. My previous version was based on the 0.10.0 code.

However, I am delayed by tracking down a couple of random crashes. It looks like something is uninitialised, because it's crashing in new[] trying to allocate a huge array.

Given that the iPhone doesn't have a proper GDB, it's slow going. I'm currently working on adding stack trace support to the "weasel" debugger tool to see if it can help me.

Once I sort out the crash, I'll make a release. Hopefully that'll be on Saturday or Sunday.
Tobot

Post by Tobot »

Woohooo! Can't wait! :D
bobablob

Post by bobablob »

This looks interesting. Good luck to all devs working on this, and ruudboy in particular.
markush8

Post by markush8 »

More news in the meantime? Really can't wait to get this running :)
ifletcher

Post by ifletcher »

damn :D
i just stopped watching that thread cause i thought nothing will happen :o

ruudboy, you've done a great work on scummvm for iPod!
and I also have some iphone-specific interface ideas!

you could add some on screen controls when you double tap, instead of zooming on double tap!

On Screen Controls are just buttons like "go to menu" "save" and so on and f.e. some controls for specific games like Full Throttle where you've to drive a bike!

There needs to be a lot of work done, but i think that actually can be done, I would really like to help you somehow, but i dont know how, the only thing i could do is making a theme for scummvm which looks iphone-ish ;)
markush8

Post by markush8 »

Having a great user interface will spread this info soon worldwide :) Looking forward to a great experience on the iPhone.
ifletcher

Post by ifletcher »

markush8 wrote:Having a great user interface will spread this info soon worldwide :) Looking forward to a great experience on the iPhone.

i will definately make an iphone skin for scummvm :)
markush8

Post by markush8 »

Great to hear!
Has anyone already a game running on the iPhone?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

the developer has, im sure.

but theres no release yet, so we'll have to wait.
markush8

Post by markush8 »

What is the current status of suspend / saving the game (engine) and resuming it?
zark

Post by zark »

Really looking forward to this. Would love a status report if ya have the time, ruudboy.
sandman4sure

Post by sandman4sure »

Can't wait for this to be released!
How is it going ruudboy?
Illuminerdi

Post by Illuminerdi »

Quick suggestion regarding the mouse discussion earlier: ScummVM DS takes an interesting approach to this problem by allowing the user to select the mouse mode they want to be in: Left click, Right click, and "Hover". When in L or R click, tapping once with the stylus is like instantly clicking the tapped area.

Hover mode ignores taps and just pretends that you've put your mouse over the pressed area. This sort of solution may be the best for the iphone's interface as well, with the black space outside the main display that's unused during portrait mode (or even landscape mode, though it looks like very little) used to change this. Or perhaps a two fingered tap or a pinch (like in Safari) could change modes? Combined with a magnification loupe for precision selecting some of the more fiddly spots, perhaps?

Just some suggestions to making the interface work, I hope they're helpful. I'm absolutely floored at how quickly you guys got this working, amazing work. I cannot wait to get this running on my iphone! Thank you all so much for your hard work and time.
markush8

Post by markush8 »

Anyone got the latest status of this?
baklava

Post by baklava »

It's a fake!