PS3 Scummvm?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Yixian wrote:I think the ScummVM team shuld focus on getting a version of ScummVm that runs straight from the XMB.

Getting it to run on a Linux build installed on a PS3 doesn't really seem in keeping with ScummVM ethos.

It'd probably be tough as prehistoric shit, but if you cracked it, I can guarentee you that you'd have like 50% coverage of the PS3 install base - think of how many people that'd open up to adventure games.

And donations ;)
Getting Scummvm to run from the XMB is only possible with a Sony license.. BUT, making a plea to sony to grant the scummvm team a license wouldn't hurt ofcourse (if the scummvm team is interested ofcourse), as it propably wouldn't hurt Sony anyway. It could even 'help' them, since it would be very profitable for them (or say lucasarts) to offer scummvm supported games for download..
hetecro

Post by hetecro »

I have it working on my PS3 through OSX.

It takes a small amount of technical knowlege, but once you get Mac OSX on the PS3, you realize how much power the ps3 really has.

Currently running Leopard Retail, all updates working, internet working, and most importantly, ScummVM.

(Somewhat) Unfortunately, I have to use a blutooth mighty mouse and apple keyboard for it to work. It works with any USB keyboard/ mouse combo, but not with the controller. It worked in the previous version, but a joystick configuration hasn't been released for Leopard yet. :(
Elevation

Post by Elevation »

Sorry for getting off-topic, but afaik there's no way of getting os x to run on ps3 (without linux). Are you using mol? Or am i really bad informed?

Thx.

Elevation
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

hetecro wrote:I have it working on my PS3 through OSX.

It takes a small amount of technical knowlege, but once you get Mac OSX on the PS3, you realize how much power the ps3 really has.
IMHO you are full of BS, please show us a link to where it is said how to install MacOSX on the PS3, I have never heard of it.. Linux yes, MacOSX no..

Also there is already a ScummVM version which works on linux on the PS3 (see some earlier posts)..

So please show us how to install OSX on the PS3, because I think you are just talking BS..
taurus82

Post by taurus82 »

I would definitely love ScummVM for PS3 without the need to install Linux.
A downloadable service like Life with PlayStation would be the most user-friendly approach.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Ofcourse it could also be a free PSN download and with that it would add an icon to the games which would be a frontend for the game selection.. hehe.. but that would only be possible with the help of sony..
taurus82

Post by taurus82 »

Has anyone at ScummVM tried contacting Sony?
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

taurus82 wrote:Has anyone at ScummVM tried contacting Sony?
I guess sony wouldn't be interested at all anyway, if they where interested in allowing old games to play on the PS3 they would also have added something like wii's virtualconsole, or even better have a PS2 emulator available for the newer PS3's (even if it wouldn't support all games).
But ofcourse it couldn't hurt asking.. As I've never played a scummvm game under linux (yet) on the PS3, I wonder how it would play with the sixaxis controller..
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Also the other 'problem' is probably the license under which Scummvm is distributed.. it propably disallowes Sony to not distribute the changes they made to it for it to work on the PS3 (from the XMB), and unless Sony isn't permitted to keep the changes needed to run it on the PS3 from XMB private there isn't a change of scummvm being made available on the PS3..
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

From what I understand, the modifications needed to run software on a PS3 aren't secret except for one thing.
The binary need to have the right cryptographic signature. The way the signature works is public knowledge but the keys that are used to derive that signature are secret.
The question is whether or not signing the binary with secret keys and distributing it is a GPL violation on it's own. I think so but I am not sure.

All of this does not apply to Linux@PS3 ofcause. You can run whatever you want there as long as you don't need hardware 3D graphics.
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

ScummVM has been ported to PS3. It runs on Yahoo Dog Linux version 6.1.

The ScummVM version is version 012.0-1 . I have Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 and I tested this version of ScummVM and it works good. Tested it Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight Of The Amazon Queen, Lure of the Temptress & Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back. And the games play good.

Haven't tested any other games yet. I do own most of Lucasarts games but I haven't tested them yet.

Games are played via keyboard/mouse. I heard that there is a why to use the PS3 controller as a mouse but I haven't found a way to make it work yet.

This version can be downloaded from http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... group.html . But remember, this is Yellow Dog Linux version 6.1 only.

This is a good thing because the only other version of ScummVM ported to PS3 Linux was version 0.9.1 .
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Once you have your Linux (any Linux) working on the PS3, you should be able to compile any version of ScummVM you wish.
I've typed up how to do this before here;
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5507
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

bobdevis wrote:Once you have your Linux (any Linux) working on the PS3, you should be able to compile any version of ScummVM you wish.
I've typed up how to do this before here;
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5507
Well, I did download the source to ScummVM 0.13 and I'll try to compile it when I get the chance.

I'm only using Linux on PS3 so that I can play games such as ScummVM, etc on my TV instead of my computer.
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

The PS3 version of ScummVM which runs on Yellow Dog Linux has now been updated to version 0.13. It can be downloaded from http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... 6.bdg.html
FancyPants

Post by FancyPants »

I have to admit I didn't hold out too much hope of this working being that I'm a total Linux noob but after a bit of googling I finally got ScummVM running on my PS3.

For all you other PS3 owners who'd like to try but are not sure of the procedure here is how I did it.

Follow the instructions here to install Yellow Dog Linux onto your PS3 but instead of downloading "yellowdog-5.0.1-phoenix-20070511-PS3.iso" as they suggest instead download "yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3.iso"

Once you have Yellow Dog Linux installed and running bring up the console (icon looks like a computer monitor with >_ on the screen) and type:

Code: Select all

su -l
That's a lower case L and not a one btw.

You will then be prompted for a password so enter the password for the root account you set up during the installation. Then type:

Code: Select all

yum install fluidsynth
Once it's downloaded and installed you can close the console window and you should now be able to install the version of ScummVM linked to in the post above. 8)