Discworld source...

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Darkblade

Discworld source...

Post by Darkblade »

Who was it you were contacting about the discworld source code?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Darkblade

Post by Darkblade »

Its just I might know somewhere / someone who has access to the code for DW1 + 2.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Please for the love of god, get whoever it is to hand over the source code. I am not a ScummVM dev and I don't know what legal problems there are but it's been announced for months and months at hand that everything was fine and everybody waited for the source to arrive.

If you could make this happen you'd be one of my personal people of the year.

EDIT: Please note the extreme amount of adrenalin infused to write this post. I usually don't write that way =)
Last edited by meist3r on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

wow, are you sure?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We know several people who have access to the source, that's not the problem. The problem is obtaining legal permission. You may not care about the legal issues and/or the law -- we *do*, however.

Also we never announced anything anywhere. We said that we are talking to certain people and that we hope to get the source, but we never made any promises nor announcements. So, for the love of god, relax, play some other games, and *maybe* if we all are very lucky, one of these days the remaining issues get settled and we can proceed with this. Insisting, shouting, yelling or pleading on your knees, however, will do nothing to accelerate the process; it only is annoying, that's all :-).
Darkblade

Post by Darkblade »

I also obviously care about the copyright / legal issues, but will try and help out where possible, i guess this discussion would be better via email.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The discussion has started several hours ago. Indeed, it looks promising :)

Eugene
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

Very cool :) Let's hope this bears fruits.
I'm curious as to how some of the things will be dealt with in the ScummVM implementation, as there are 1-2 things I've seen in the disassembly that will probably need some reworking.
(Heavy use of setjmp/longjmp-like constructs.)
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

You may not care about the legal issues and/or the law -- we *do*, however.

Also we never announced anything anywhere. We said that we are talking to certain people and that we hope to get the source, but we never made any promises nor announcements.
The wiki says: "The rights situation has been resolved, and Terry Pratchett and his agent Colin Smythe have approved the source release and future freeware re-issuing of the game. We are currently awaiting receipt of the engine source code."
(That statements has been there for at least a year).

So the problem is the permission from Psygnosis?

As you can tell I am really excited about this, please forgive me my boyish love for clumsy sorcerers and walking treasure chests.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

meist3r wrote:As you can tell I am really excited about this, please forgive me my boyish love for clumsy sorcerers and walking treasure chests.
You're not the only one ;)
MetalSnake

Post by MetalSnake »

Anything new about this?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Nothing new.

And please: Nobody ask here. We are not that forgetful. We will tell you once we know more. You'll definitely notice.

In the meantime, I am locking this thread.