[TUTORIAL] Using Timidity with ScummVM and Windows XP

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dj jack

[TUTORIAL] Using Timidity with ScummVM and Windows XP

Post by dj jack »

Since I wanted to listen to ScummVM music in a better quality than that of the AdLib/MT-32 emulation or Microsoft's wavetable MIDI synth, I found this solution.

This tutorial may also help those who have Timidity on their PC but are unable to connect it to ScummVM.

First you have to download the Timidity++ Windows build here: LINK.

Then you have to download a soundfont, for example Milo's RealFont, and eventually extract it using this tool.

Last thing you need to download is Midi Yoke, a tool able to create 8 virtual MIDI output devices, each binded to one of 8 virtual MIDI input devices.

Now let the party start: first of all you have to install Midi Yoke. Note that this will require a reboot after the setup process ends.

When your Windows will be up again extract the Timidity++ zip in the folder you prefer, and put the soundfont file in another dir.

Now double click on "twsyng.exe". This will add a little icon in the system tray, near the clock. Right-click it and choose "Preference".

Click on Edit, the button next to the text field. This will start Notepad with the config file already opened.

You have to edit it so that it look like this:

Code: Select all

dir "C:\dir\where\you\extracted\the\Soundfonts"

soundfont nameofthesoundfont.SF2 order=0
obviously using the real paths and names instead of those i wrote. :D

Click on File, then Save and quit Notepad.

Back in the Timidity Preference window click on the Synthesizer tab. Set port max on 1 and Port 0 on "In from Midi Yoke: 1" (it should be already done). Now click Apply then Ok.

Now close the program by right-clicking the systray icon and choosing quit, then restart it.

Time to tell Windows to use Midi Yoke as the default MIDI oputput: right click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Audio Properties. Now on the third tab choose "Out to Midi Yoke: 1" as the MIDI device. Click Apply and Ok.

Now right click Timidity's icon again and choose "Start synthesizer".

The time has come...Start your ScummVM up and set your audio drive as Windows MIDI by clicking on Options then Audio.

Now play your favourite game and Timidity will use your SoundFont for rendering the MIDI data...

Enjoy!
Dj Jack
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nice guide indeed :) Perhaps this should be added to the wiki?

Recently, there has been a submission in the patch tracker for Timidity++ support here. Since I notice that Timidity++ itself does not affect the application and can be used as a MIDI sequencer device, what is the reason of the aforementioned patch?
dj jack

Post by dj jack »

md5 wrote:what is the reason of the aforementioned patch?
Maybe that patch makes using Timidity++ on unix easier, so that you don't have to tell it to start working as an ALSA sequencer.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

md5 wrote:Recently, there has been a submission in the patch tracker for Timidity++ support here. Since I notice that Timidity++ itself does not affect the application and can be used as a MIDI sequencer device, what is the reason of the aforementioned patch?
That guy was on IRC the other day and his reasoning was that there's no ALSA on FreeBSD.
Mr. Wood

Post by Mr. Wood »

I tried the combination of software mentioned above some time ago, but it never worked quite right for me and I disliked that it was such a pain to use. However, the other day I came across a SourceForge Japan project which provides an installer including TiMidity++, a direct Windows driver (no need for MIDI Yoke), and a graphical configuration tool---along with a player which can render MIDI to various digital sound formats.

I thought I should share in case anyone else was interested. :)
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

well I tried that but the sound was sometimes cracking which was not acceptable for me.. but the native support of soundfonts by my audigy 2 zs is very nice (without cracking ^^)
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

:shock: :shock:

i used to play with mt-32 emulation, but the silverspring soundfont just sounds awesome

:shock: :shock:

thx for the tutorial :D

edit: Shan's Soundfont is absolutely great :shock:
http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/
flex12

Post by flex12 »

Hi,

well i tryied it with the Timidity, but i had a lot of cracking in it. Then i noticed with a sound blaster card you can just implement the soundfonts into the card itself.
Did that and more happy than ever :D
Now just need to find a good soundfont and nothing can destroy my monkey pleasure ;)
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Tested. Works great on Windows 7 64 bit :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

For Windows, there is already sound font support in the OS. It's limited compared to Timidity, but it might be good enough already for a lot of people. This page is quite informative:
http://spheredev.org/wiki/Changing_soundfonts

Also, this thread on VOGONS is useful:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1622
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I have an old Sound Blaster Live! card, and I find that it's wavetable synthesis sounds really good for most games. Especially when comparing to adlib/sb16 emu.
My computer's too slow to try this.(AMD XP+ 1.5ghz) Does anyone think it be a significant improvement over my current setup? Perhaps someone can post a mp3 of it's output.
surdules

Post by surdules »

The latest version of ScummVM (1.2.0) has soundfont support built-in (using the FluidSynth driver). It's very easy to use, no need to mess with Timidity and such.

I just tried out a few classics with Shan's soundfont and they sound pretty amazing.

Razvan.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

thx 4 d info guys. btw, these sf's really huge. :lol: