Kings Quest IV problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

golddustpeak

Kings Quest IV problems

Post by golddustpeak »

Hi all,
I have the most recent version of scummVM 10 installed in my PSP and I’m trying to set it up to play some old Kings Quest games from my SIERRA Collectors Edition.

I have been successful in getting KQ I thru III to load and play on the PSP however KQ V and KQ I SCI are unrecognized by scumm when I enter their respective directories to add the games.

Any suggestions?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

ScummVM supports AGI games only (KQ1-3 and I believe there is a AGI version of KQ4 too), so I guess you have to find a port of freesci for the PSP to play the other games.

(AGI is the first adventure interpretator done by Sierra and SCI is its successor).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Anotherguest wrote:and I believe there is a AGI version of KQ4 too
There is, though apparently it's pretty rare. I don't have it myself, but the Wikipedia article about the game has two screenshots comparing the two versions.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yeah, it was just for sale too. I was hoping to get it, but I forgot about it... :evil:
jak66

Post by jak66 »

I break the bad news. There is no FreeSCI port for PSP :(...would it work on DOSbox (It would be 'laggy' however)?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jak66 wrote:I break the bad news. There is no FreeSCI port for PSP :(...would it work on DOSbox (It would be 'laggy' however)?
The SCI version of King's Quest IV runs with DOSbox, so in theory it would work. Assuming DOSbox runs on the PSP; I have no idea about that.
jak66

Post by jak66 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:The SCI version of King's Quest IV runs with DOSbox, so in theory it would work. Assuming DOSbox runs on the PSP; I have no idea about that.
There is a DOSbox port to PSP. I haven't used it myself but have heard that it can be 'laggy' (even with games that run full speed on ScummVM).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jak66 wrote: There is a DOSbox port to PSP. I haven't used it myself but have heard that it can be 'laggy' (even with games that run full speed on ScummVM).
That wouldn't surprise me. When ScummVM runs an AGI game, it is basically a re-implementation of a game engine that ran on the typical home PC of the mid-eighties. Probably a 286 or 386.

When DOSbox runs the same game, in addition to the game engine itself it also has to emulate all the hardware of that PC. A much bigger task.
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

It is very difficult to enter the dwarf's house with the mouse controls. Is there a way that the arrow keys can be remapped for character movement?